Sidespin on a snooker table both with and against the nap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
    im okay but nowhere near your level in terms of natural ability and achievements, which makes your understanding of all this stuff all the more remarkable.
    i will do another vid with a few more shots like straightening but for now i only have this. and from what i saw behind the line noway did the white make the correct contact point on bob.

Here it is, guys. I listen to J's vid again laters..
    JP Majestic
    3/4
    57"
    17oz
    9.5mm Elk

Comment

• Back to work now. Play the shot Tel and you'll see

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
        No it's definitely left hand side to hold for the black Tel
        Only LH side if you are level or above the black (meaning towards the top cushion using the correct terminology). Even if you don't believe the CB is curling you have to admit in order to hold the CB you have to hit the black thicker. If you end up hitting it dead-on as j6 asked then you'll kill all the energy in the CB. So in my curve theory I would curve the CB into a thicker contact with the black.

Do you get exactly the opposite effect with SIT? If so I've been playing these shots wrong all my life (but still making them and getting position somehow).
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• I ended up level with the black on its spot, Tel. Not low , as I did state, for a blind cut back pot.

Sorry , it me explaining poorly..
          JP Majestic
          3/4
          57"
          17oz
          9.5mm Elk

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
            Back to work now. Play the shot Tel and you'll see
            I have many times and I know
            Terry Davidson

Comment

• [QUOTE=Terry Davidson;939682]Only LH side if you are level or above the black (meaning towards the top cushion using the correct terminology). Even if you don't believe the CB is curling you have to admit in order to hold the CB you have to hit the black thicker. If you end up hitting it dead-on as j6 asked then you'll kill all the energy in the CB. So in my curve theory I would curve the CB into a thicker contact with the black.

Do you get exactly the opposite effect with SIT? If so I've been playing these shots wrong all my life (but still making them and getting position somehow).[/QUOTE)

You have to hit the OB thicker to throw it in. Hence less momentum on the CB. This thread is starting to make sense now lol

Comment

• [QUOTE=travisbickle;939685]
                Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                Only LH side if you are level or above the black (meaning towards the top cushion using the correct terminology). Even if you don't believe the CB is curling you have to admit in order to hold the CB you have to hit the black thicker. If you end up hitting it dead-on as j6 asked then you'll kill all the energy in the CB. So in my curve theory I would curve the CB into a thicker contact with the black.

Do you get exactly the opposite effect with SIT? If so I've been playing these shots wrong all my life (but still making them and getting position somehow).[/QUOTE)

You have to hit the OB thicker to throw it in. Hence less momentum on the CB. This thread is starting to make sense now lol
                That's exactly what I'm saying and have been saying. Whether you believe in CB curve or SIT is causing the effect, the only way to kill the CB is all the energy has to be transferred to the OB, which means as close to dead-on as you can get. There is just no other way to kill the CB.

So, black on spot, CB on green side of table 'below' the black (so in the pink side of the black and not the top cushion side. CB is 18" from black on a 3/4-ball angle. If you wanted to hold the spot you would hit this shot with drag and RH side so the CB is initially thrown to the left and then due to the slow pace and distance recovers and curls a bit to the right to hit the black full ball or nearly so. The trick is to learn the aiming point of the cue which will take practice from newbys.

Different shot if you want to power the cueball around 2 cushions. With top right and tons of power you aim the cue thicker to compensate for CB throw-off due to right hand side. For a dead weight shot on the black the aiming point will be different and a bit thinner.
                Terry Davidson

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post

Do you get exactly the opposite effect with SIT? If so I've been playing these shots wrong all my life (but still making them and getting position somehow).
                  [QUOTE=Terry Davidson;939687]
                  Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post

That's exactly what I'm saying and have been saying. Whether you believe in CB curve or SIT is causing the effect, the only way to kill the CB is all the energy has to be transferred to the OB, which means as close to dead-on as you can get. There is just no other way to kill the CB.

So, black on spot, CB on green side of table 'below' the black (so in the pink side of the black and not the top cushion side. CB is 18" from black on a 3/4-ball angle. If you wanted to hold the spot you would hit this shot with drag and RH side so the CB is initially thrown to the left and then due to the slow pace and distance recovers and curls a bit to the right to hit the black full ball or nearly so. The trick is to learn the aiming point of the cue which will take practice from newbys.

Different shot if you want to power the cueball around 2 cushions. With top right and tons of power you aim the cue thicker to compensate for CB throw-off due to right hand side. For a dead weight shot on the black the aiming point will be different and a bit thinner.
                  If you are playing a high 3/4 black or red to hold why would you use right hand side as you are just pushing the OB to the left making it even harder to hold the shot.
                  Left hand side means you can hit OB thicker pushing it to the right. Simples.

Comment

not read all the above but, if in your book there is no so called throw and its curving onto bob then the white wouldnt hold, if anything it should in theory run on after contact with an angled shot.

Comment

not read all the above but, if in your book there is no so called throw and its curving onto bob then the white wouldnt hold, if anything it should in theory run on after contact with an angled shot.
                      j6...to clarify, the cueball is BELOW the black (i.e. - closer to the pink than the top cushion) and you would use RH side to make for a more dead-in shot as at low speed CB throw from RH side to the left gets overtaken by the RH side and CB will hit the black more straight-on. If you hit harder you wouldn't be able to hold the spot as CB would hit the black on the 3/4 point. You have to hit low power, at dead weight to stop the CB.

I think when Travis says the CB is 'high' on the black is where the confusion is. If he is 'high' on the black then the CB is towards the top cushion but because of the TV coverage they say 'below the black' to mean closer to the cushion, and 'high' on the black to mean between black and pink spots. If you are above the black in correct terminology then it would be a cut-back black and LH side is correct but if you are low on the black with correct terminology then it would be RH side.

You have to use what the Americans say is 'inside english' and with the CB 'high' on the black (towards pink spot) it would be RH side as in your video I believe.

For those players who don't know, the top spot was originally what today's black spot in snooker was called and the bottom of the table is the baulk area. That why we call the black pocket the 'top pockets'. The TV commentators always use the wrong terminology I guess to make it easier for the uneducated to follow because the pink look to be above the black on TV.

I doubt there's any real confusion as you know yourself you have to use that 'inside english' to hold the CB and make the pot. What Travis said was he used helping side to hold the CB and that's just wrong.
                      Terry Davidson

Comment

• Of course if Travis is saying he hits the black with higher power when CB is closer to pink area with LH side and is still able to hold the spot I would like to see someone do that on an angled pot. That is not possible and you don't use helping side to throw the OB in AND hold the same spot because you increase the cut angle.

Your original question to me was pot a 3/4-black and stop the cueball dead. I have been playing these shots forever (usually on reds) to hold position and I always use that 'inside english'.
                        Terry Davidson

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                          j6...to clarify, the cueball is BELOW the black (i.e. - closer to the pink than the top cushion) and you would use RH side to make for a more dead-in shot as at low speed CB throw from RH side to the left gets overtaken by the RH side and CB will hit the black more straight-on. If you hit harder you wouldn't be able to hold the spot as CB would hit the black on the 3/4 point. You have to hit low power, at dead weight to stop the CB.

I think when Travis says the CB is 'high' on the black is where the confusion is. If he is 'high' on the black then the CB is towards the top cushion but because of the TV coverage they say 'below the black' to mean closer to the cushion, and 'high' on the black to mean between black and pink spots. If you are above the black in correct terminology then it would be a cut-back black and LH side is correct but if you are low on the black with correct terminology then it would be RH side.

You have to use what the Americans say is 'inside english' and with the CB 'high' on the black (towards pink spot) it would be RH side as in your video I believe.

For those players who don't know, the top spot was originally what today's black spot in snooker was called and the bottom of the table is the baulk area. That why we call the black pocket the 'top pockets'. The TV commentators always use the wrong terminology I guess to make it easier for the uneducated to follow because the pink look to be above the black on TV.

I doubt there's any real confusion as you know yourself you have to use that 'inside english' to hold the CB and make the pot. What Travis said was he used helping side to hold the CB and that's just wrong.

if its turning onto bob regardless of what side it should make the cb run away after contact, i dont see how you hold the cb wit your theory.
                          its all getting a bit messy tel

Comment

• Holy Moly,

I getting confused from some of the above. WTF is going on.
                            JP Majestic
                            3/4
                            57"
                            17oz
                            9.5mm Elk

Comment

Originally Posted by throtts View Post
                              Holy Moly,

I getting confused from some of the above. WTF is going on.
                              TD is in another muddle. J6 and Pottr's shot are played with left hand side.
                              Just as well TD doesn't use side when he's not using cushions!

Comment

• Sidespin on a snooker table both with and against the nap

My shot was played with right hand side

Comment

Working...
                                X