Clear All

Sidespin on a snooker table both with and against the nap

Trust me... you wouldn't want to be me.

I'm spread thin

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
      https://youtu.be/vCeR2QpmPqY

Not really.
      just off 12 hours in the office... my muppet son has left the window open all day... room is freezing and cue is sticky.

tomorrow I'll do better

sorry about the angle
      Put the cueball a little closer to the yellow spot then hit at 7 o'clock to bottom then yellow side cushion. Cut is a little more fine so more power left in the cueball. You must have seen some of the pros pull the shot off.
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Yeah, of course

it's easier to get the side to take off the second cushion that way.

Comment

the youtube link should work, Terry?
          Looked at the wrong thing. Watched the video and can easily say 'well done'. I advised you to put the cueball a little nearer the yellow spot to get more power left in the cueball.
          Terry Davidson

Comment

Yeah, of course

it's easier to get the side to take off the second cushion that way.
            Yeah. Everyone ooohs and awwws when Ronnie or Murphy pull it off but on the Star tables with the larger middle pockets it's not really a tough shot. This string is going to make me pull my camera out and film some stuff (if I can remember how to post it on here although I do have a youtube account but I've never posted on there either).

The string is not really about transferred side and most agree it's not really enough to matter to anything. Big Shot and a couple of others like Travis? and slasher (who apparently snuck back in as little reggie) believe when you play a shot with side spin the OB is actually thrown onto a different line whereas I am of the opinion all those shots you see where a player is swerving around an intervening ball the CB actually comes back and hits BOB in the arse but they believe it never hits BOB at all. Problem is Barry Stark has a video where he does a demo past an intervening red ball to blue and he says the spin on the cueball 'throws' the blue ball into the pocket. When I analysed the video using frame-by-frame it's obvious the CB hit BOB on the arse however the cueball was arcing in with the RH side and at point of contact was lined up perfectly with the inner jaw of the pocket where Barry's blue hit. Some believe there is a 'gear effect' happening altering the OB path and some say side is transferred in the couple of microseconds the balls are in contact and then disappears somewhere (into the ozone maybe?).

But of course those who are 'experts' agree with Barry so I'll have to send him an email and ask him to look at his video using Kinovea frame-by-frame with a couple of lines added from BOB to pocket and path of the cueball.

(And pottr, you really are going to have to make a decision soon as snooker season is coming up and I still might take you up on your invite to come over as I'm passing on the World Champs this year as they moved it to Qatar so I will have a free couple of weeks in the fall) and I don't want to come over and have you traipsing around with your girlfriend (PC - significant other?) instead of practicing. Of course you'll probably blow me off the table anyway.
            Last edited by Terry Davidson; 21 August 2017, 12:28 AM.
            Terry Davidson

Comment

Well...

We really are scraping the snooker barrel if this **** is a hot topic.

It's pretty insignificant knowledge in terms of helping you improve

Comment

Well...

I tried to say that...if you can make the shot why worry about how exactly it happens but big shot kept on with his insults along with travis and reggie. This is one area where vmax and I agree which is really unusual as we had that big 'discussion' about using helping side like Willie did all the time. Is Mick Price still playing at all and is he still at a good standard?
                Terry Davidson

Comment

He's not playing at all as far as I'm aware...

But I imagine if he did pick his cue up, he'd smash most to bits.

great player

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                    in your game what do you believe is throwing all over the place the cb,or ob ?
                    For clarity of communication, i only ever use throw to describe what happens when the CB hits the OB, so the answer to your question is the OB.

Comment

• Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                      Well...

All knowledge is important. If all it takes is practise, why aren't we all maxi players?

And it didn't do kyren wilson any harm to know how to use spin induced throw, did it? Hard to believe but he's got a better crucible record than you.

Besides, i remember you having to climb off your high horse a while back on this very subject lol.

Comment

• Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                        Yeah... you still hear Terry's name pop up around here.

I don't even know big shot's real name.

speaks volumes x
                        It does? What about?

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                          I was asking you about the 10 racks since you say you're a good pool player. I've run centuries at snooker and it's been in Snooker Scene.
                          No, you said you had got a 10 pack in competition. I'm calling BS.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post

And it didn't do kyren wilson any harm to know how to use spin induced throw, did it?......l.
                            That ball clearly kicked, he did not play it that way !
                            Funny how I've never ever seen another ball potted that way ever on tv ??

Comment

• Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                              For clarity of communication, i only ever use throw to describe what happens when the CB hits the OB, so the answer to your question is the OB.
                              best to leave it there.

Comment

• What is a ten rack ?

Comment

Working...
                                X