Sidespin on a snooker table both with and against the nap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by throtts View Post
    Tel & max are saying the CB bananas up on the last bit of path towards your black to reach the potting point ( BOB ) that was covered up...
    No, I did not say 'banana's up'. What is said was the CB is initially pushed off to the left (everyone agrees with that, right?). Then the spin grabs and changes the direction of the CB (does everyone agree the RH spin would alter the path of the CB slightly?) into a straighter line and the spin dissipates so it continues to travel on that same straight line straight to the black, however it's approaching the black from slightly to the left.

It's a simple and understandable explanation but Jason feels he had BOB completely covered and what I see is the red is just over 1/8 ball and certainly less that 1/4-ball. You have to look at the red/black when he has the camera directly behind the shot rather than where he had the camera when he took the shot. What you have to remember is it's the leading edge of the CB which contact the OB.
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
      yeah grab a sarny before you get back onto battle

I guess you believe the CB never curves back to the right when you use RH side then? Does it carry on straight after the CB gets thrown to the left and carries on with that line? It would over-cut the black I think.
      Terry Davidson

Comment

ha ha, you couldnt write that even if you believed it
        But I did.
        Terry Davidson

Comment

• Originally Posted by throtts View Post
          Tel & max are saying the CB bananas up on the last bit of path towards your black to reach the potting point ( BOB ) that was covered up...
          They both said that about my red when you can clearly see it doesn't make correct BOB, nowhere near actually.
          It's only these two that disagree about this and their knowledge about side is very questionable.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
            You said we should not consider spin transfer and now you say it does happen. What I'm saying is it's so little that is doesn't count for anything. You also said with the shot off the pink spot with side you would get 1" per foot of throw on the OB or 9" to the bottom cushion and I couldn't get that at all and against the nap like that I got about 3" with the CB only and it was for comparison purposes. Without swerve or jacking up the cue, just a normal drag shot with spin. Your 9" is way too much but get on a snooker table and try it and see what you get. It will be more against the nap I think.

I got almost zero deviation when using the pink with a CB and to the left might have been a roll on my table because that's how little it was.
            Without swerve or jacking up the cue (jacking up the cue is totally the wrong way to go about this shot btw)I get around 7 inches either way, that's with just a normal shot with side.
            And this is on a snooker table

Comment

Well, I'm going to try it after lunch and see what happens. I'm pretty sure it can be potted plain ball as a cut-back. But if I can't then I will get on here and let you know.
              Practice holding the CB with running side/bottom whilst your there.
              You might get a nice surprise

Comment

No, I did not say 'banana's up'. What is said was the CB is initially pushed off to the left (everyone agrees with that, right?). Then the spin grabs and changes the direction of the CB (does everyone agree the RH spin would alter the path of the CB slightly?) into a straighter line and the spin dissipates so it continues to travel on that same straight line straight to the black, however it's approaching the black from slightly to the left.

It's a simple and understandable explanation but Jason feels he had BOB completely covered and what I see is the red is just over 1/8 ball and certainly less that 1/4-ball. You have to look at the red/black when he has the camera directly behind the shot rather than where he had the camera when he took the shot. What you have to remember is it's the leading edge of the CB which contact the OB.
                Right hand spin pushes black to the left, that's all that's happening here. No correct BOB!!!

Comment

the red was so much in front of the black that it would not pot from anywhere that side of the table.
                  That's not the picture I'm looking at jason, as Terry says it's certainly not 1/4 ball and that thumbnail shows a straight shot that if the cue ball was moved half an inch to the left it would pot off the far jaw with centre cue ball striking.

The path the cue ball takes after contact tells me that it came into the black from slightly left of the original line of aim that was obscured by the red and made enough contact to pot the black off the far jaw. If it had contacted full ball and the black had gone into the centre of the pocket then it would have travelled along the same line as the black but that amount of swerve wasn't possible.

Try the shot again but this time with the red actually touching the black so that there's no way that BOB or near enough to BOB can be made by swerving around it.
                  Last edited by vmax; 16 September 2017, 04:17 PM.
                  Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                  but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

I guess you believe the CB never curves back to the right when you use RH side then? Does it carry on straight after the CB gets thrown to the left and carries on with that line? It would over-cut the black I think.
                    Quality vid Jason. LMAO here. Totally sums this thread up

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                      That's not the picture I'm looking at jason, as Terry says it's certainly not 1/4 ball and that thumbnail shows a straight shot that if the cue ball was moved half an inch to the left it would pot off the far jaw with centre cue ball striking.

The path the cue ball takes after contact tells me that it came into the black from slightly left of the original line of aim that was obscured by the red and made enough contact to pot the black off the far jaw. If it had contacted full ball and the black had gone into the centre of the pocket then it would have travelled along the same line as the black but that amount of swerve wasn't possible.

Try the shot again but this time with the red actually touching the black so that there's no way that BOB or near enough to BOB can be made by swerving around it.
                      Try to download and play slowmotion vmax .
                      BOB was coverd in that shot .
                      If you like i may be able to make some screen shots .
                      In vid J6 uploaded , the potting position was coverd , lol .

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax View Post

ha ha amazing!!

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                        again not relevant to the shot.

in tel v max books this ball in this video pots plain ball.. please stay away from their battered words!

Last edited by j6uk; 16 September 2017, 07:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
                          Quality vid Jason. LMAO here. Totally sums this thread up
                          if you take it literally it could wind you up, thing is they simply don't know whats going on cus respectfully they dont know what their talking about, theres always a couple in the club right?.. but its not about them and theyre pride, its for the genuine people who really want to understand the shot so as to add something to their game.
                          thinking now of turn it in pt3
                          Last edited by j6uk; 16 September 2017, 05:36 PM.

Comment

in tel v max books this ball in this video pots plain ball.. please say way from their battered words!

The proof is in the pudding. Side most definitely imparts on to the object ball, altering its path.... If the cue ball was just swerving from deflection onto the potting angle, it would hit the red and the black would never go. The fact that Jason showed the potting angle is covered with the red is 100 percent proof that sidespin transfer is real in my books.

Comment

• Originally Posted by OmaMiesta View Post
                              The proof is in the pudding. Side most definitely imparts on to the object ball, altering its path.... If the cue ball was just swerving from deflection onto the potting angle, it would hit the red and the black would never go. The fact that Jason showed the potting angle is covered with the red is 100 percent proof that sidespin transfer is real in my books.
                              Bar a couple of Black Knights it's true in everyone's book

Comment

in tel v max books this ball in this video pots plain ball.. please say way from their battered words!

Not from that angle. Move the CB towards top cushion and see.
                                Terry Davidson

Comment

Working...
                                X