Sidespin on a snooker table both with and against the nap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
    Anyway, does anyone else feel pottr's video to be the biggest anti climax in cue sports since cliff thorburn beat Alex Higgins in the 1980 WC final?

Strike a light - terrible so far!
    Nothing's ever depressed me more than that Biggie, this don't come close. I did have slight concern that he doth protest too much on "it definitely doesn't pot" and that may have hindered his case in the long run. More work to do!
    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Maybe an idea to use something heavy that won't be moved to prove that the ball doesn't pot, a can of beans or something. A can of worms?

Comment

• Originally Posted by markz View Post
        Is Les Edwards still playing Terry? How's he doing? He might be able to help you upload any videos you do.
        Not practical. Les lives over 2hrs away plus he is now doing 2 jobs, building custom homes and selling real estate which of course makes his weekends his busiest days. I think he's also golfing. I would hate to send him extra work and I know he's very busy.

Les has resigned from our Association although he will still run the website.
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• Originally Posted by pottr View Post
          In part 3... I explain a touch about what I think happens...

oddly, my explanation on tbe video is similar to what you just say.

A combination of the nap and perhaps generating a small kick of sorts.

saying you can't put spin on the ob isn't true... we have all had balls kick which deviate massively
          I've found they slide more than spin or the cueball 'climbs' the OB which I think is static electricity between a neutral OB and a charged CB.

Tomorrow I'm going to put some chalk on my OB and see what happens.
          Terry Davidson

Comment

• Originally Posted by pottr View Post
            It's obvious what's needed Terry... get your ass on a plane

LETS CRACK THIS TOGETHER!
            We would only end up arguing about what's happening. If you can get an OB to spin fast enough to alter its course, even with a kick, I'll come over. That chalk thing I mentioned should do it but of course that's cheating. I think SIT and some minor amount of transferred spin is more likely in pool with more dense balls but I'm sure BS can set us straight.
            Terry Davidson

Comment

• Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
              OK then, use a soft rubber tip as I've seen that demonstrated by Steve Davis and John Parrot.

I'm not really allowed to talk to you anymore anyway as Ramon always gives me a load of heartache (when I can understand him and says as a coach I'm supposed to be nice to you. You can probably judge if that will ever happen).
              Last edited by Terry Davidson; 13 September 2017, 11:13 PM.
              Terry Davidson

Comment

• Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
                Nothing's ever depressed me more than that Biggie, this don't come close. I did have slight concern that he doth protest too much on "it definitely doesn't pot" and that may have hindered his case in the long run. More work to do!
                Well, I liked Thorburn beating Higgins. I didn't like it the 4 or 5 times he beat me dammit. Was that me who said 'it definitely doesn't pot'? I thought I said it definitely doesn't spin, maybe 1/8th turn (if that). Transferred spin is 'fake news' to me.
                Terry Davidson

Comment

• C'mon guys, we're at page 99 now and that's pretty good and should go in the record books for vmax. Mr.B.S. deserves special mention for presenting the opposing argument or proven facts as he says.

The earth is flat, the twin towers was a CIA plot, NASA is lying about the moon landing (even though you can see footprints with a good telescope), Mr. B.S. has faith in SIT, god is real, we all go to heaven or hell, christian fundamentalists managed to change the path of Irma through prayer (they're claiming), Donald Trump never lies and someone on here believes in transferred side (generated by a kick). They're all a bit dodgy in my opinion.

But is transferred side useful even if it did exist? Can it be controlled? It took pottr quite a few attempts to finally pot that pink...shoot the blue fer christ's sake.
                  Terry Davidson

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                    Well, I liked Thorburn beating Higgins. I didn't like it the 4 or 5 times he beat me dammit. Was that me who said 'it definitely doesn't pot'? I thought I said it definitely doesn't spin, maybe 1/8th turn (if that). Transferred spin is 'fake news' to me.
                    He is talking about Pottr

Comment

C'mon guys, we're at page 99 now and that's pretty good and should go in the record books for vmax. Mr.B.S. deserves special mention for presenting the opposing argument or proven facts as he says.

The earth is flat, the twin towers was a CIA plot, NASA is lying about the moon landing (even though you can see footprints with a good telescope), Mr. B.S. has faith in SIT, god is real, we all go to heaven or hell, christian fundamentalists managed to change the path of Irma through prayer (they're claiming), Donald Trump never lies and someone on here believes in transferred side (generated by a kick). They're all a bit dodgy in my opinion.

But is transferred side useful even if it did exist? Can it be controlled? It took pottr quite a few attempts to finally pot that pink...shoot the blue fer christ's sake.
                      Will this be vmax' s first ton lol

Comment

C'mon guys, we're at page 99 now and that's pretty good and should go in the record books for vmax. Mr.B.S. deserves special mention for presenting the opposing argument or proven facts as he says.

Just try the example Big Shot posted.
                        Put the pink on its spot with the CB a couple of inches behind it.
                        Play the shot full ball up the table with left/right hand side and see what happens.
                        Now go and pot some balls using what you have just seen to your advantage.
                        The subtle version of the shot is easy and can be learned by anyone in weeks.
                        The more you want to throw the OB the harder the shot becomes, just like the difference between screwing the white 6 inches compared to 10 feet.

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                          a bit of helping side just to turn it in and hold the white, so as not to go in and out of balk.

https://youtu.be/yWMawCHxSFM?t=7m
                          Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                          C'mon guys,
                          rons red to the middle above shows simple control in open play, judgment and practice.

Comment

• Originally Posted by markz View Post
                            Here's pottr's link

https://youtu.be/qFQm_FfVLS4
                            what happened......

Comment

No Terry I was talking about Pottr. Saying that made it feel like it was a magician trick. Like Paul Daniels saying I've got nothing up my sleeve. Lol. I was only a kid when Cliff beat Alex I was gutted at the time and remember it clearly. Cliff deserved that win and was a great player.
                              ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

I've found they slide more than spin or the cueball 'climbs' the OB which I think is static electricity between a neutral OB and a charged CB.

Tomorrow I'm going to put some chalk on my OB and see what happens.
                                Er, nope.

Some people have suggested that a kick can be caused directly by static electricity, but this is highly questionable (per logic, and per the test at the 3:44 point in NV D.16 - Pool ball cut-induced throw and cling/skid/kick experiment). Although, a possible explanation is that static (resulting from the balls sliding across the cloth) could indirectly cause cling by somehow allowing chalk dust to collect on and stick to the balls more easily (but this is also questionable).

http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/throw.html#cling

See experiment at 3.44 of NV D16

Comment

Working...
                                X