Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
    You're either deluded or in denial. So far, you have been presented with:

1. The physics at play when a spinning object hits a stationary one. This has been known since 1835. You demanded proof of this but now, all of a sudden, you don't have time to look into it properly.
    2. Conclusive video proof and clear explanation from Dr Dave et al.
    3. Conclusive video proof fromJ6 and Travis on a snooker table.
    4. Conclusive video proof from Mark Selby and keiron wilson with the camera angles you demand.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, they say. Well quite. You just continue to believe in the snooker fairies doing such things sight unseen, and we'll continue to believe the science, the evidence and the facts. Then we're all happy.
    Ah, more hard comments. Travis, Wilson and Selby showed me nothing proving SIT as in those shots the spin has dissipated from the cueball and not one of the SIT people can tell me how to get SIT with no remaining spin. I believe the cueball is pushed onto a different path and then recovers. Dr. Dave is proving his theories using totally different conditions to a snooker table and I can't duplicate his stuff on my table so it's either my abilities or there's something physically different regarding the conditions.

Nothing wrong with Jason's videos however the tolerance in the set-up is very tight. I wanted to see the shot from the pocket not having the cueball hidden. When I tried these shots on my table yesterday I was able to accomplish them right up until I actually covered BOB (to the edge of the pocket) and then no matter what I did to generate some SIT and pot the ball I couldn't do it. Of course you can say my skills aren't good enough but I believe they are.
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax View Post
      That's my take on the subject as well. If a gear effect is happening at slow speed then side must be transfered to the OB. I understand that too fast a pace and the contact time between the balls means that there will be less friction, but in my video I proved that there was no spin transfer on a full ball contact at low speed, yet there is supposed to be on a cut shot, yet impact throw is supposed to be what happens on a cut shot and is shown by Dr. Dave to induce a tiny amount of spin, and we're supposed to differentiate between the two when the cue ball is spinning, just how is that done ?
      Jesus wept (again).

This would be much easier to understand if people stopped mangling different concepts.

1. Every shot at an angle has CIT. Unavoidable, the brain adjusts automatically, nothing to see here.
      2. Every shot with side produces *some* side transfer. This does nothing until the OB hits a cushion. Then, the spin on the OB either narrows or widens the rebound angle.
      3. Every shot with side produces *some* SIT. This is what we are discussing.

If people could stick to SIT as one single entity, it would be a lot easier to understand. Just as screwback is a single reaction when contact is made, so is SIT.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
        Surely that's Impact Throw or CIT?

its this tel

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
          pm me tel if you wanna get into any of it.
          No thanks but I appreciate the offer. Your idea of my timing is from either an 8yr old video done by Nic or a 5yr old video from the Canadians where conditions were far from ideal. I've been working on getting a crisper hit by lengthening my backswing and loosening the grip and it's working, but slowly.
          Terry Davidson

Comment

• Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
            Jesus wept (again).

This would be much easier to understand if people stopped mangling different concepts.

1. Every shot at an angle has CIT. Unavoidable, the brain adjusts automatically, nothing to see here.
            2. Every shot with side produces *some* side transfer. This does nothing until the OB hits a cushion. Then, the spin on the OB either narrows or widens the rebound angle.
            3. Every shot with side produces *some* SIT. This is what we are discussing.

If people could stick to SIT as one single entity, it would be a lot easier to understand. Just as screwback is a single reaction when contact is made, so is SIT.
            Again, your logic is confusing. If both CIT and SIT generate *some* throw how do you factor out the CIT?
            Terry Davidson

Comment

Ah, more hard comments. Travis, Wilson and Selby showed me nothing proving SIT as in those shots the spin has dissipated from the cueball and not one of the SIT people can tell me how to get SIT with no remaining spin. I believe the cueball is pushed onto a different path and then recovers. Dr. Dave is proving his theories using totally different conditions to a snooker table and I can't duplicate his stuff on my table so it's either my abilities or there's something physically different regarding the conditions.

Nothing wrong with Jason's videos however the tolerance in the set-up is very tight. I wanted to see the shot from the pocket not having the cueball hidden. When I tried these shots on my table yesterday I was able to accomplish them right up until I actually covered BOB (to the edge of the pocket) and then no matter what I did to generate some SIT and pot the ball I couldn't do it. Of course you can say my skills aren't good enough but I believe they are.
              do you or another member have a video of showing you using any kind of spin?

Comment

Where's your video because it should provide proof of using running side to hold the cueball and something I can agree with. pottr held his with inside side and i can hold on my table here with inside side but can't with outside. throtts apparently holds with outside side as you do. So there is some disagreement on this point.

I have never said I was absolutely correct at all as I always leave room for the other side of the argument. Your statements didn't make logical sense to me because of the curve always put on the cueball with side unless it's high power. Jason's video made sense to me and I've played those shots for a long time and I can't remember when I was shown them it was that long ago. (Discounting your 'old' comment)
                https://youtu.be/Yx7Sm05-b1U
                Holding black spot
                https://youtu.be/rrfPsTH-qPM
                Holding CB with running side/side
                https://youtu.be/6daSo1VQQ5s
                J6 black

J6 one doesn't seem to work. Anyone on here show me what I'm doing wrong here?
                Last edited by travisbickle; 17 September 2017, 12:55 PM.

Comment

No thanks but I appreciate the offer. Your idea of my timing is from either an 8yr old video done by Nic or a 5yr old video from the Canadians where conditions were far from ideal. I've been working on getting a crisper hit by lengthening my backswing and loosening the grip and it's working, but slowly.

nice one, yeah you never loose it tel..

your welcome btw

Comment

its this tel

Jason:

I stopped this video at 0:08 and took a hard look. Mentally remove the red and what I see is the shot is lined up to the edge of the top cushion jaw and not to the edge of the side cushion jaw. If you viewed it from right behind that far jaw it appears to me that BOB is accessible on the black. If you do this again set the camera on the actual potting line to the far jaw and then move the red to actually cover the BOB on the black and then try potting the black using SIT.

AT 0:08 your cueball needs to move about 1.5" to the left to get on the right BOB. I tried this on my table by placing the 3 balls by hand until BOB couldn't be hit first by the CB and then tried to pot the black myself but I couldn't get it even to slop in.

Just need to ask your opinion...on the screenshot at 0:08 how much of the black do you feel is covered as to me it looks to be less that 1/4-ball
                    Terry Davidson

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
                      Holding black spot
                      J6 black
                      good cueing.. what cue you using now btw?

Comment

• Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
                        Holding black spot
                        J6 black

J6 one doesn't seem to work. Anyone on here show me what I'm doing wrong here?
                        OK, I'm sure you think this shows how everyone has to hold the cueball, but when I say HOLD, I mean to actually hold the spot, maybe not exactly on it but the CB not moving far enough so the spot is held. Your cueball drifted on another 3" or more. On the j6 black you potted the black plain ball so no SIT there.

I can achieve exactly the same result that you did by using slow screw with no side. Just to see for yourself, (no video) put up a 7/8-black pot and hit it with drag and inside side (RH side in your video) and see if you can actually HOLD the spot and I bet you do. I couldn't do it with a 3/4-black as j6 asked but perhaps he has the stroke to do it.

Maybe it was a matter of mis-communications and you not knowing when I said hold I meant no further movement on the cueball, but I thought I was clear that the spot had to be held.
                        Terry Davidson

Comment

Jason:

I stopped this video at 0:08 and took a hard look. Mentally remove the red and what I see is the shot is lined up to the edge of the top cushion jaw and not to the edge of the side cushion jaw. If you viewed it from right behind that far jaw it appears to me that BOB is accessible on the black. If you do this again set the camera on the actual potting line to the far jaw and then move the red to actually cover the BOB on the black and then try potting the black using SIT.

AT 0:08 your cueball needs to move about 1.5" to the left to get on the right BOB. I tried this on my table by placing the 3 balls by hand until BOB couldn't be hit first by the CB and then tried to pot the black myself but I couldn't get it even to slop in.

Just need to ask your opinion...on the screenshot at 0:08 how much of the black do you feel is covered as to me it looks to be less that 1/4-ball

the red was just over 1/4 ball in front of the black it never ever went no matter how long your posts are. even down on the cushion at 1/4 ball bob was not there cus you would of fauled the red.

Comment

do you or another member have a video of showing you using any kind of spin?
                            Nope. Maybe in the Canadians video. I'll try and get one up but I'm here by myself so maybe when my practice partner shows up in a week or so.
                            Terry Davidson

Comment

OK, I'm sure you think this shows how everyone has to hold the cueball, but when I say HOLD, I mean to actually hold the spot, maybe not exactly on it but the CB not moving far enough so the spot is held. Your cueball drifted on another 3" or more. On the j6 black you potted the black plain ball so no SIT there.

I can achieve exactly the same result that you did by using slow screw with no side. Just to see for yourself, (no video) put up a 7/8-black pot and hit it with drag and inside side (RH side in your video) and see if you can actually HOLD the spot and I bet you do. I couldn't do it with a 3/4-black as j6 asked but perhaps he has the stroke to do it.

Maybe it was a matter of mis-communications and you not knowing when I said hold I meant no further movement on the cueball, but I thought I was clear that the spot had to be held.
                              Black won't re spot so I held the spot. You said I would get nowhere near.
                              Try holding the yellow using check side and stick a video up to show us

Comment

the red was just over 1/4 ball in front of the black it never ever went no matter how long your posts are. even down on the cushion at 1/4 ball bob was not there cus you would of fauled the red.
                                All I'msaying is your concept of 1/4-ball differs from mine and I don't think in that shot that BOB (to the far jaw) is covered. In fact when I duplicated that shot on my table I potted the black plain ball. I then moved the red ball more into the black to where BOB was covered and I couldn't get any SIT to work for me and over-cut the black every time.

I'm not arguing with you just relaying my results. I fouled the red a couple of times too until I correctly judge the throw/spin to just miss the red.
                                Terry Davidson

Comment

Working...
                                X