Improving positional play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    a coach gave me this exercise, make a chalk mark for the white so you are in the same position each shot, and work through the line attempting to hit them and as you get better go through the gaps, and work from both sides of the black as well.
    You can move the white to another spot as you get better, making a new chalk mark for that sequence.
    This helped me work out how to play the white to get the position I wanted off the black and cushion
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    I do something similar.
    Very good exercise for good CB control in & around the pack.
    This also comes in handy when spliting the pack up in the right spot.

Comment

Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
      I do something similar.
      Very good exercise for good CB control in & around the pack.
      This also comes in handy when spliting the pack up in the right spot.
      yep I often make the yellow and blue the bottom outer reds of the triangle, so I use the space between to simulate the bottom row of the triangle. better than resetting the triangle of 15 reds after every shot
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

yep I often make the yellow and blue the bottom outer reds of the triangle, so I use the space between to simulate the bottom row of the triangle. better than resetting the triangle of 15 reds after every shot
        Yep lol.
        I used to use the tournament champion box the balls came in, but that soon gets annoying for other players

Comment

I know of someone who used to use the triangle (wooden) itself for pack striking practise, did not take long for him to be told in no-uncertain terms where to go from others across the hall

I have used just the point reds when focussing on this shot - much quieter
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I know of someone who used to use the triangle (wooden) itself for pack striking practise, did not take long for him to be told in no-uncertain terms where to go from others across the hall

Yep I bet lol

It's the two end reds that are the most important anyway when splitting the pack

Comment

Originally Posted by dan_ormerod View Post
              Forgot to include it
              Here it is:
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvitu7adib8
              Brilliant. Thanks for this.

Comment

I've learned a lot by studying the cue ball paths the pros take. I think as a amatuers, many of us make very low percentage choices in our positional play and as a result breaks tend to end because we didn't leave ourselves a good opportunity to continue. Watching how the pros use the rails, nudge balls and use side allows me to improve my margin for error.

Similarly, when I try a new practice routine, I try to find an example of it being completed perfectly (or nearly perfect) on YouTube and copy their shot selection. I was completely stuck on the cross drill (reds are shaped like a X) until I saw it done.

Comment

My favourite is just clearing all 6 colours with ball in hand. Somehow I feel that this one forces you to use lots of types of shots, especially if you have to pot a recovery shot every once in a while...
                  Try it on an unfamiliar table. Then it gets really tricky.

Comment

Another one I do is put all the balls evenly spaced down the middle of the table i.e.,baulk/top cushion, then pot them in order using no cushions.
                    CB has to be really tight to complete this

Comment

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
                      My favourite is just clearing all 6 colours with ball in hand. Somehow I feel that this one forces you to use lots of types of shots, especially if you have to pot a recovery shot every once in a while...
                      I once talked with a few pros and this was one exercise they recommended me as well to improve my positional play. They also said I should add one red to it before.

Comment

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
                        Colours on their spots you mean?

Comment

Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
                          Colours on their spots you mean?
                          Yes of course. Looks simple enough, but get one angle wrong, and then you're in trouble.

Comment

Good practice

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                            setting yourself goals is key at this stage and the lineup is a must imo, and dont stop until youve cleared it.
                            this black routine is also a top workout for concentration timing and getting to know the top/black cushion, and if youve not got much time its perfect. again set yourself goals of 10/20/50/100.

The only similarity between your practice and mine are 6:30 ....

Comment

Originally Posted by howardlax View Post
                              The only similarity between your practice and mine are 6:30 ....
                              22.45 i do it again on 99.. we need more practice.

Comment

I use the triangle, but I fill it with the reds and roll up my cue towel and place it along the back of the pack.

Silent every time

Comment

Working...
                                X