No announcement yet.

Screwback..............................again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was advised by my coach to raise the cue slightly (just slightly) when playing screw shots and it works for me! You wont miscue (unless you don't have any chalk on cue...

Also, was advised to lower knuckles (not thumb) re bridge, and twist back ( but that was because I have very small fingers that weren't fitting into the groove of thumb and first finger)...

Of course, timing is crucial, and you should have a nice pendulum swing action, like Barrow says in one of his videos...But mainly, let the cue do the work and follow through!

Coach reminded me of the song by Madonna, Get into the Groove! hahaha - brilliant...
    Follow my snooker Articles/stories on Twitter@chrisgaynor2

Comment

I have always been told that raising the butt is a NO NO. My Bridge Hand dictates all positional play..
      JP Majestic
      3/4
      57"
      17oz
      9.5mm Elk

Comment

Originally Posted by throtts View Post
        I have always been told that raising the butt is a NO NO. My Bridge Hand dictates all positional play..
        I'm not talking about raising it by a lot though, it's just slightly...I think there's a clip somewhere at the WC's where Davis talks about the top players raising the cue slightly on certain shots, and my coach said for me on screw shots, I needed to do exactly that because when I was playing deep screw shots, I wasn't keeping the tip lower on to the baize and was "scooping" the cue up in the air, so by raising it just ever so slightly - i managed to keep the tip low to the baize after delivery!

Comment

[QUOTE=Ramon;942808]
          Oh AND , beware of @throtts and @ cue crafty
          those 2 are very dangerous ]

Me and CC and the bad asses, son.

You be careful, buddy.
          JP Majestic
          3/4
          57"
          17oz
          9.5mm Elk

Comment

Originally Posted by chrisg View Post
            I'm not talking about raising it by a lot though, it's just slightly...I think there's a clip somewhere at the WC's where Davis talks about the top players raising the cue slightly on certain shots, and my coach said for me on screw shots, I needed to do exactly that because when I was playing deep screw shots, I wasn't keeping the tip lower on to the baize and was "scooping" the cue up in the air, so by raising it just ever so slightly - i managed to keep the tip low to the baize after delivery!
            Just been on my table again. Fell on many straight blacks and was screwing back very sweetly, even though I say so myself, haha. The one thing I spotted, about my technique , is that my grip becomes even more relaxed before I strike the CB. Potted a couple then remembered the thread and thought what exactly i was doing on the shots to be so consistent and it was the grip not tightening thus allowing full follow through.

I always remember O'sullivan stating on his show that on the more power shots he said he grips the butt tighter. That must be on youtube somewhere. It just goes against the grain, even coming from him. Probably just suits his own playing habits.
            JP Majestic
            3/4
            57"
            17oz
            9.5mm Elk

Comment

[QUOTE=throtts;942845]
              Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
              Oh AND , beware of @throtts and @ cue crafty
              those 2 are very dangerous ]

Me and CC and the bad asses, son.

You be careful, buddy.
              It's OK Ramon you can join the dangerous gang. Especially when you've necked a bottle of rum
              ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Just been on my table again. Fell on many straight blacks and was screwing back very sweetly, even though I say so myself, haha. The one thing I spotted, about my technique , is that my grip becomes even more relaxed before I strike the CB. Potted a couple then remembered the thread and thought what exactly i was doing on the shots to be so consistent and it was the grip not tightening thus allowing full follow through.

I always remember O'sullivan stating on his show that on the more power shots he said he grips the butt tighter. That must be on youtube somewhere. It just goes against the grain, even coming from him. Probably just suits his own playing habits.
                Jimmy White say's this too, I don't get it TBH but I try not to think about it.

Comment

White and Rocket, what do they know hahaha.

I am going to experiment tomoz. The tight grip will not allow a smooth final draw back though. Maybe those two are referring to when there is a cluster of reds in and around the black, you know, those little touch shots can vary from player to player.
                  JP Majestic
                  3/4
                  57"
                  17oz
                  9.5mm Elk

Comment

White and Rocket, what do they know hahaha.

I am going to experiment tomoz. The tight grip will not allow a smooth final draw back though. Maybe those two are referring to when there is a cluster of reds in and around the black, you know, those little touch shots can vary from player to player.
                    Yeh interesting actually, cos on those shots you need tighter control and don't want to over screw when only needing say 10cm.
                    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

I saw that too.

This is about how you deliver the cue and how you strike the CB.
                      Not , What you do before or how hard you strike the CB.
                      It's true, Ronni raises the button abit. But unfortunately where most players are not aware of and do'nt pay attention to is : how he delivers the cue. (very smooth and level).
                      His action leads to a swing-like movement ( abit up & down )of the cue and the result is, he can load the CB up very nicely.
                      Plus the fact that his timing is perfect.
                      E.g. I myself , try to keep the butt as level as possible.
                      My brother, raises the butt abit, but he delivers the cue level and his grip is very consistent.

Your grip is the key to your cue power. Something I've mentioned many times (and many members are not agree with ).

The idea that a loose grip is the same as a FIRM grip, is simply not true.

Although, what @throtts mentioned with regards to keep the butt level, is the text-book way. I bet many coaches (not all of them) would advise you to do that.

At the end, No 2 players in the world have the same technique.

As Nic Barrow said: if you discover something new and you try it and it does works for you, then stick to it.

I fully agree with him.
                      It's your game !! :snooker:

Comment

[QUOTE=Cue crafty;942852]

It's OK Ramon you can join the dangerous gang. Especially when you've necked a bottle of rum
                        Good post .
                        Good response !!!

Comment

[QUOTE=Ramon;942868]
                          Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post

Good post .
                          Good response !!!
                          Salute! Boat drinks!! 
                          https://youtu.be/3FRnc3BdxAY
                          Last edited by Cue crafty; 12 October 2017, 09:51 PM.
                          ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                            I saw that too.

This is about how you deliver the cue and how you strike the CB.
                            Not , What you do before or how hard you strike the CB.
                            It's true, Ronni raises the button abit. But unfortunately where most players are not aware of and do'nt pay attention to is : how he delivers the cue. (very smooth and level).
                            His action leads to a swing-like movement ( abit up & down )of the cue and the result is, he can load the CB up very nicely.
                            Plus the fact that his timing is perfect.
                            E.g. I myself , try to keep the butt as level as possible.
                            My brother, raises the butt abit, but he delivers the cue level and his grip is very consistent.

Your grip is the key to your cue power. Something I've mentioned many times (and many members are not agree with ).

The idea that a loose grip is the same as a FIRM grip, is simply not true.

Although, what @throtts mentioned with regards to keep the butt level, is the text-book way. I bet many coaches (not all of them) would advise you to do that.

At the end, No 2 players in the world have the same technique.

As Nic Barrow said: if you discover something new and you try it and it does works for you, then stick to it.

I fully agree with him.
                            It's your game !! :snooker:
                            If you watch Nic Barrow's live session 2 help on the Youtube, he explains screw back in detail, and one of the things he mentions is raising cue slightly and playing it as if you are playing a top spin shot...Link below...

https://youtu.be/2-yTPXlNfyY

I'm off to practice with a new even looser grip with just one finger (second one) and thumb! Will see what happens...

Comment

If you watch Nic Barrow's live session 2 help on the Youtube, he explains screw back in detail, and one of the things he mentions is raising cue slightly and playing it as if you are playing a top spin shot...Link below...

I'm off to practice with a new even looser grip with just one finger (second one) and thumb! Will see what happens...
                              yep, I saw a clip years ago (was he wearing that "striking" gold shirt? ) and ever since I now have a light grip when wanting screw back and get good results
                              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

If you read some of the older threads , you'll see that i was the one
                                Who posted that link here on this forum for the first time !!

Good luck with your new grip and play well !!

Comment

Working...
                                X