A little explanation required please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little explanation required please

Hi folks, tis me again with yet another question which I hope isn't stupid.

Can someone explain what reverse side is please. Just watching a match on TV and Selby potted the black with a bit of 'reverse side'

I have often heard this said but don't really understand it. I have heard of check-side and running-side and I do understand these terms and do employ the shots from time to time and I know that 'check' is the opposite of 'running' but what is the opposite of 'reverse' ? to me it is 'forward' but I've never heard of 'forward-side'.

When potting the black off its spot I occasionally play a screw shot to get position (I'm getting better at this by the way) but if I can find out what reverse side is, along with its opposite, if there is one, I might get even better.

Thanks for any helpful replies.

Originally Posted by bluenose1940 View Post
    Hi folks, tis me again with yet another question which I hope isn't stupid.

Can someone explain what reverse side is please. Just watching a match on TV and Selby potted the black with a bit of 'reverse side'

I have often heard this said but don't really understand it. I have heard of check-side and running-side and I do understand these terms and do employ the shots from time to time and I know that 'check' is the opposite of 'running' but what is the opposite of 'reverse' ? to me it is 'forward' but I've never heard of 'forward-side'.

When potting the black off its spot I occasionally play a screw shot to get position (I'm getting better at this by the way) but if I can find out what reverse side is, along with its opposite, if there is one, I might get even better.

Thanks for any helpful replies.
    Playing a straight black screw with the side to take the cue ball towards the blue is "reverse" side. if playing black into top pocket on yellow side then left hand side would be the reverse side.

Comment

A little explanation required please

on a straight black off the spot hit the white at 7 o'clock from the green side of the table, 5 o'clock from the yellow side and watch what happens to the white as it comes off the side cushion. repeat ad nauseum till you can repeatedly pull the shot off. it's not an easy one at least for me!
      Last edited by thommo335; 3 November 2017, 07:55 PM.

Comment

The way I understand it, because you are playing a screw shot running side becomes check side and vice versa

Comment

It's reverse side when you use it with screw, because you have to hit the white on the opposite side of the direction you want the cueball to go when it hits the cushion, left hand side to make it go right. I don't think there is an opposite.

Comment

OK chaps thank you. I will give it a go when I'm next playing.

Comment

Working...
            X