What are they doing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are they doing?

I was watching the final of the Scottish Open last night and, I was surprised at how log the players are actually down on the shot. When I play, I pick my spot on the object ball, walk in on the line, get down, a couple (or three) feathers and shoot.

Last night, both players seem to take 8 to 10 seconds after getting down on the shot to actually striking the cueball. What are they actually doing/thinking?

Any thoughts anyone?

They were both under extreme pressure which changes everything.
    Somehow I don't think yours, mine or anyone else's technique on this forum would have held up under that amount of pressure.
    That said...
    Robertson's technique held up towards the end. As does all the other world class players.
    "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
    National Snooker Expo
    25-27 October 2019
    http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Originally Posted by the lone wolf View Post
      They were both under extreme pressure which changes everything.
      Somehow I don't think yours, mine or anyone else's technique on this forum would have held up under that amount of pressure.
      That said...
      Robertson's technique held up towards the end. As does all the other world class players.
      I would agree mate. I have played in some pro am matches and closed deciders out I can tell you everything you think you know about the game goes out the window. I remember making a 77 against Stuart Pettman to win 4-3 from 3-0 down. My arm felt numb during the entire break, I didn't feel like I hit one shot at all well, let alone with any control and afterwards people commended me on how well I held myself together! I think luckily for me I only got through it as I managed to keep close control. Most of us mere mortals go 1 of 2 ways in big pressure situations, we either speed up or slow down. I speed up and probably look rushed so for me it's about playing quicker to not think about all the technical errors but this way makes you prone to miss by throwing in a quick one, Others slow down which spoils any rhythm of making a break so they tend to lose the white rather than miss.

Comment

Originally Posted by dcrackers147 View Post
        I would agree mate. I have played in some pro am matches and closed deciders out I can tell you everything you think you know about the game goes out the window. I remember making a 77 against Stuart Pettman to win 4-3 from 3-0 down. My arm felt numb during the entire break, I didn't feel like I hit one shot at all well, let alone with any control and afterwards people commended me on how well I held myself together! I think luckily for me I only got through it as I managed to keep close control. Most of us mere mortals go 1 of 2 ways in big pressure situations, we either speed up or slow down. I speed up and probably look rushed so for me it's about playing quicker to not think about all the technical errors but this way makes you prone to miss by throwing in a quick one, Others slow down which spoils any rhythm of making a break so they tend to lose the white rather than miss.
        Absolutely! You've got bottle and great rudiments but what I read dcrackers147
        I won a few important matches whilst playing American Pool on both European and American stages. By the time I got back to my hotel room, my heart was still thumping and my stomach was still churning. These types of bodily reactions can only be managed once a player has experienced them. A coach can't prepare a player for any of this...
        But can only share their experiences in order to allow the player to know they are not alone.

Now I love this type of pressure, which makes me feel alive like no other feeling! :snooker:

Pressure changes everything - which is why rudiments ar soooooo important.
        National Snooker Expo
        25-27 October 2019

Comment

Originally Posted by the lone wolf View Post
          Absolutely! You've got bottle and great rudiments but what I read dcrackers147
          I won a few important matches whilst playing American Pool on both European and American stages. By the time I got back to my hotel room, my heart was still thumping and my stomach was still churning. These types of bodily reactions can only be managed once a player has experienced them. A coach can't prepare a player for any of this...
          But can only share their experiences in order to allow the player to know they are not alone.

Now I love this type of pressure, which makes me feel alive like no other feeling! :snooker:

Pressure changes everything - which is why rudiments ar soooooo important.
          Thanks for the kind words - I agree there is no better feeling when it comes good....on the flip side there have been plenty of occasions I feel it has gotten the better of me and cost me matches. So I kind of know how Cao must have felt - you feel so flawed and broken and you cant make any sense of why your mind and body let you down! It really is just pressure as you then hit the practice table an hour later and cant miss!

Comment

Funny you should say that because when i'm struggling in matches i'm always being told to slow down or take your time but in my head i'm thinking wtf are they talking about any slower and i'll stop
            It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

If you are not feeling rushed or out of control then I would say you should play at your natural rhythm. To the people especially people in league snooker giving advice during the match this has to be the most counter productive form of coaching/criticism ever.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words - I agree there is no better feeling when it comes good....on the flip side there have been plenty of occasions I feel it has gotten the better of me and cost me matches. So I kind of know how Cao must have felt - you feel so flawed and broken and you cant make any sense of why your mind and body let you down! It really is just pressure as you then hit the practice table an hour later and cant miss!
                Yep. You have to lose first in order to learn how to win.
                National Snooker Expo
                25-27 October 2019

Comment

Working...
                X