Applying pressure to cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
    Yep, sorry tend to deal in cold hard facts, sadly a reality that many don't want to know and proven by the fact that some people still think the earth is flat no matter what evidence you present.
    The old ones you can't tell em anything and the young ones think they already know everything lol.
    Ok then Slash since you're only dealing in cold hard facts do me a favour and go back to the very first post in this thread. Go watch the video again and I do mean really watch it. I think you will find that when Ronnie pulls back the cue at the final back swing, after he stops HE THEN PULLS THE CUE HARD UP AGAINST HIS CHIN DELIBERATELY BY AT LEAST AN INCH . If you can't see that then I have to wonder who's the real flat earther here.

Comment

Originally Posted by rimmer10 View Post
      Ok then Slash since you're only dealing in cold hard facts do me a favour and go back to the very first post in this thread. Go watch the video again and I do mean really watch it. I think you will find that when Ronnie pulls back the cue at the final back swing, after he stops HE THEN PULLS THE CUE HARD UP AGAINST HIS CHIN DELIBERATELY BY AT LEAST AN INCH . If you can't see that then I have to wonder who's the real flat earther here.
      I did not say he didn't do it I am saying it adds nothing to the CB reaction.
      Even IF the elongating of the cue had any measurable energy The tip is only in contact with the CB for 1/1000 of a second, no human could time that.
      Last edited by Slasher; 21 December 2017, 09:49 PM.

Comment

My theory is that those guys who bend the cue slightly on some shots might do so in situation where big backswing is needed, but at the same time there's also some serious pressure involved, I mean mental pressure not physical...i.e. crunch time. They might not be aware of this motion.
        When the heart is racing and the hand is a bit tight, it is very difficult to keep the cue going in piston motion, very very tough to control the cue. So maybe, just maybe this helps them. At first glance, seems like it would be counter productive, introducing even more tension into already tensed up arms/body, but ...as we all know, not everything is logical about snooker.
        I wonder if they would ever bend the cue playing completely pressure free like in practise with no money/prestige/reputation on the line.

Comment

Even IF the elongating of the cue had any measurable energy The tip is only in contact with the CB for 1/1000 of a second, no human could time that.
          He's got to be doing it for a reason though and that's my point. And I believe it has nothing to do with extending the time of contact between tip and cue ball and is purely done to aid accuracy and power. Just try it mate. Have an open.mind

Comment

OP should have the last word, but I think maybe,there endeth the thread.....

Be interested to hear Tom's final thoughts though.
            ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Or more to the point improved accuracy on power shots

Comment

Okay here is a theory, on big power shots many players lift their body in order to get the arm way back and they lose the reference of the chin on the cue. He does it to keep the reference point and improve his accuracy.

Comment

Okay here is a theory, on big power shots many players lift their body in order to get the arm way back and they lose the reference of the chin on the cue. He does it to keep the reference point and improve his accuracy.
                  And as an added bonus the cue gets pushed hard into the vee of the bridge and therefore ensures a rock solid bridge hand. What do you think?

Comment

Up next Uri Geller bends cue with mind.

That would be forking awesome
                    It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

And as an added bonus the cue gets pushed hard into the vee of the bridge and therefore ensures a rock solid bridge hand. What do you think?
                      Not hard, just slight pressure is enough to put a bend into the shaft. Reference point of chin contact on cue stays maintained, that's all that's happening, making sure you're not moving your head = greater accuracy.

It's certainly the case that as the cue is drawn back then the chin contact gets less as the shaft gets thinner so this is just the chin going down a tad more until the rear pause to stay in contact. There's no lateral energy going into the cue and being released for more power.
                      Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                      but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Also, on power shots players tend to ""punch"" the CB instead of getting completely through it, reason, their grip has tightened up before its got anywhere near their chest.

So, anyone found the reason of the bent shaft.??..
                        JP Majestic
                        3/4
                        57"
                        17oz
                        9.5mm Elk

Comment

Originally Posted by Tomppa View Post
                          I've noticed myself bending the shaft on some shots (mostly deep screws) but i don't really think it would make a difference to the way contact happens between tip and ball. might make timing and feel easier perhaps as there's some resistance in the early part of delivery that eases when you release the pressure on the cue, hence accelerating better. I never do that on any other shots than the ones that need power, so I'm guessing it's a way to gain more control over the delivery on powershots.
                          Sounds like a very plausible explanation my man

Comment

Originally Posted by sealer View Post
                            Hihi:-) if you hold your cue same for each shot it will develop into a banana soon :-)
                            I remember Judd has his cue replaced recently due to a bend that he hasn't noticed. I wouldn't put it past the fact he loves a monster screw and bends his cue a lot every time he does it

Comment

From the thoughtful inputs that people have provided I've got a reasonable idea of why it's happening. I doubt any player is doing it consciously but I think it's adding a bit of resistance to the motion of the cue at the start of the delivery. I think Tomppa has given a good explanation - whether they realise they're doing it or not, it'll no doubt cause a smoother acceleration and a more accurate delivery like some others have observed. We all know how hard it is to remain accurate when using a lot of power. Smooth acceleration = accuracy and power. I'm not sure it could be adding more power from the 'spring' of the cue though. I agree with Slasher that it would be negligible.

Comment

Originally Posted by tomperty View Post
                                I remember Judd has his cue replaced recently due to a bend that he hasn't noticed. I wouldn't put it past the fact he loves a monster screw and bends his cue a lot every time he does it
                                I was about to say this. He is the biggest bender out there hence why he’s gone for a stiffer shaft :biggrin-new:

Comment

Working...
                                X