Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why after four years can I not run more then eight.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
    Nobody brings their practice game into a match. Absolutely nobody. It's just that good players are so good, that 60-70% of their game is fine in a match.

If your absolute best is 40-50 in practice, then you've got no chance of producing that in a match.

To be honest, forget breaks, it's about your consistent approach to the game.

Cue delivery, shot selection, consistency. Is Les making 40 every visit to the table.... Absolutely not! So how can you possibly expect to produce that in a match.
    I'd agree with this in so far as breaks are concerned. But I think you should be able to execute the same on a shot by shot basis. By that I mean, if you've practiced going into the pack off the blue and you are consistent with it, it should carry over unless you do something differently.

The breaks however is mostly a numbers game. Someone may manage a 50-60 once a session after 30 tries, then absolutely they shouldn't expect one in a tournament, especially if those practice runs start with an easy red and an open layout.

I've done a lot of work on improving my match play, and recently I'd say my execution has been about the same. But I don't really worry about the numbers too much because that is often dictated by the table, my opponent and how well I'm playing on the day.

Comment

Hi les. Hope you give the 51 drill a go and stick with it. As it's benefits are expansive! Everyone should do this to see just exactly how good they really are. I've come across lots of egotistical players and dreamers before who claim to be this good and that good, but can't do the drill, even after half a dozen or more attempts. I think it's a great gauge of ability. Even from people's reaction towards it. You can pretty much tell whether they are confident towards it by their initial reaction. A very good amateur would complete this at their first attempt. Which would be impressive enough.
      Last edited by inevermissblue; 25 December 2017, 11:19 PM.
      Cheap and Cheerful! 😄
      https://wpbsa.com/coaches/simon-seabridge/

Comment

Originally Posted by inevermissblue View Post
        Hi les. Hope you give the 51 drill a go and stick with it. As it's benefits are expansive! Everyone should do this to see just exactly how good they really are. I've come across lots of egotistical players and dreamers before who claim to be this good and that good, but can't do the drill, even after half a dozen or more attempts. I think it's a great gauge of ability. Even from people's reaction towards it. You can pretty much tell whether they are confident towards it by their initial reaction. A very goodifferent amateur would complete this at their first attempt. Which would be impressive enough.
        Well I will give it a go but I am not going to brag about it being a peice of cake because I can tell you right now it is out of my league on most given days. Just running through the colours is a task. I really think with me it’s all about my mental aspect. A couple weeks ago I went down through 4 reds between pink n black ran all 4 reds with blacks and the colours then I tried for an hour after and never even made it through the 4 reds again never mind getting to the colours. Strange frustrating game.
        " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
        " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
        http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

Originally Posted by lesedwards View Post
          Well I will give it a go but I am not going to brag about it being a peice of cake because I can tell you right now it is out of my league on most given days. Just running through the colours is a task. I really think with me it’s all about my mental aspect. A couple weeks ago I went down through 4 reds between pink n black ran all 4 reds with blacks and the colours then I tried for an hour after and never even made it through the 4 reds again never mind getting to the colours. Strange frustrating game.

It wasn't aimed at you. I was merely pointing out that lots of players get carried away with themselves because after battering the table they inevitably run into a bit of form (which they are not able to identify nor re-create). However they still feel invincible. Yet when I show them this drill, some can't even make the first red.
          It's good that you have acknowledged your limits at present. As you have a base to improve upon.
          Clearing the colours is as important as anything too. You would be amazed at how many so called players can't complete this on request. So many scrappy frames are decided this way too.
          Last edited by inevermissblue; 25 December 2017, 11:22 PM.
          Cheap and Cheerful! 😄

Comment

I was on Cope's table for an hour the other day doing the line up. Took me at least half a dozen attempts as my technique just wasn't up to the job. (Star Table). I had a 50 odd, 64, 80 and 87. So I ditched it and tried the 51. It still took me a couple of goes until I managed it. Snooker is a completely different animal again when played on a "PROPER" table.
            Cheap and Cheerful! 😄

Comment

Working...
            X