Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Combat Slow Play (intentional or not)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats a good steal Tom, must have felt great! I had a 43 clearance from the last two reds the other day against a league player, it felt better than a 70 ever could in practice. That's why we put some practice in though eh, to help us belive we can take opportunities when they arrive.
    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

LOL! Every club has one and has always done. When I was in my early teens I played at the Social Club in Craven Arms. There was a nice older guy (late 60s at the time) called Howard. He took an age with every shot, both to consider his shot and then to take it. It drove us all nuts but out of respect no-one ever said anything except for one guy who was slightly mad and regularly smashed his cues to bits whenever he lost a match.
      The only thing to do is relax. You already know how the guy plays so you should be well prepared for it beforehand. I use to like playing Howard. He was a good player and I learnt from him. The main problem with him was when I'd chalked my name on the board to get a game on a table and then realised he was ahead of me in the queue. I generally looked to play on one of the other two tables at that point as the club closed at 10.45pm.

Comment

I ended up playing my first match last night against the said slow player. I beat him 2-0 quite comfortably. I did bring my headphones but didn't need them as i remained calm and just watched the matches on the tables nearby.

First frame he broke off and I potted a long red with 3 blacks and tucked him in behind green after having no pot. This was key as it put pressure on him immediately. I could have won the frame at the end thru potting the last red but missed it and he started his negative safety which put me off a bit as the frame was prolonged by 15 mins of safety.

2nd frame I won quite comfortably as I was 4/5 for long pots to get in overall.

Key points - Stay comfortable. Don't watch the opponent think, or follow his routine - only when hes down on the shot to see what happens. Don't try to pot low percentage shots and leave an easy pot/easy safety, Instead play a really good safety. Finish it off! Try not to enter a safety battle if possible.

Comment

Originally Posted by arsalanjami View Post
          I ended up playing my first match last night against the said slow player. I beat him 2-0 quite comfortably. I did bring my headphones but didn't need them as i remained calm and just watched the matches on the tables nearby.

First frame he broke off and I potted a long red with 3 blacks and tucked him in behind green after having no pot. This was key as it put pressure on him immediately. I could have won the frame at the end thru potting the last red but missed it and he started his negative safety which put me off a bit as the frame was prolonged by 15 mins of safety.

2nd frame I won quite comfortably as I was 4/5 for long pots to get in overall.

Key points - Stay comfortable. Don't watch the opponent think, or follow his routine - only when hes down on the shot to see what happens. Don't try to pot low percentage shots and leave an easy pot/easy safety, Instead play a really good safety. Finish it off! Try not to enter a safety battle if possible.
          Well done - its a lot easier with a gameplan!
          ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Yup - mental preparation :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
              look around at everything in the club except the table when he is on it.
              Absolutely. I can vouch that this works. Some guys I have played are far slower than any pro you might have seen on tv. One minute per shot, 25+ feathers, getting up on a shot, chalking again...etc. You don't want to look at that.
              What others have said is true. It is very rare to see a very good slow players. They always seem to have severe limitations in their game.

Comment

it is not relevant - your speed is you at the table - when he is at the table listen to music in your head and relax.
                ADR hit the nail on the head for me... Just do what you want to do when you're at the table, nothing else should really matter.

When I come up against someone (normally some no hoper thinking they'll frustrate me) playing slow or refusing pots I play a little game where I don't go for anything at all for a few minutes... Even if they're over the hole, just keep playing immaculate safeties for as long as I can.

They always lose their rag and revert to type, smashing balls everywhere and twitching like a Dog in a sausage factory.
                Last edited by pottr; 4 February 2019, 10:57 AM.

Comment

You got to hold on to your nerves . I have seen worse players in club i play. There was a certain player who took handicap from me and purposely wasted time by ordering food, chatting on cell phone and taking time while taking a shot. I used to loose very badly against him because of that. You too can take time before playing a shot , it sometimes help during long potting.

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                    smashing balls everywhere and twitching like a Dog in a sausage factory.
                    LOL, that's hilarious

Comment

If it's a match and you share the reffing and it's your ref, you can call foul for unsportsmanlike if a player is persistently wasting time, unless the rules have changed? I did that once in a league match, it was obvious, I warned the player once, their captain second and then called foul and 7 away, reminded them the ref was always right when questioned and that they could complain to the league and that I would keep doing it unless he sped up - he did - trouble is you need a ref to do it for you

If it's not in a match and it's just a player down the club, don't waste your time or money with them, simples, blackball them so to speak, they'll either learn or go away

Comment

Originally Posted by soultrader View Post
                        LOL, that's hilarious
                        Yeah I like that one. I must have missed it the first time.......have to use that myself.
                        Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                        Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                        Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

In my country, every balls potted or fouled count as $$ and you have to complete the last black in every frames, nightmare if u play with slow guy
                          Last edited by linglomsri; 27 March 2019, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X