Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with sightings

Halo everyone,

my highest break is 75 in comp and 77 when having a game with a friend. I play most shots by using feel of how the white will travel. I can't see how the white will travel. I know that my white have to hit that spot on the object ball to pot it. It works ok some days but sometimes I can't pot anything. I want to have more reliable way of sighting, being able to see the line, and not play by just feeling. I always screw up under preassure and in comp because the feeling just disappear.

I'll explain my problem with this example - when I put a ball on near the blue spot and my white on the baulk line. I can't see the line of path that the white will travel to hit the blue full in the face.

But when I move a bit to put my right eye on the line. Its a bit confusing, I don't really know how to explain it, I know that the line is there by feeling but i can't see how the white is going to travel. But when I try to approach the shot from the middle, or so called right behind the white, the white and blue can't seem to join up full face. Therefore, I find problems getting onto the line and approaching.

I find that the line is clearer when I shift my body a bit and put my right eye over the line, I can see it better. But when I get down on the shot, I put my cue in the middle of my chin. I don't know if I'm right master eye or not.

Should I carry on with using my right eye over the line n approach that line? Or learn how to look at the line with the line in the middle of my body and learn how to approach it?

Anyone can offer any advice?

thank you
    Snooker addict... No snook is no life...

Well, I don't really have a good advice on the actual problem, but here's a fairly easy way to find out if you have a dominant eye:

With both eyes open focus on a spot (a light switch or something) a few metres away. Now just reach out your arm and point your finger towards that spot.
    Close your left eye (without moving your arm). Do you still point your finger at the same spot? If so, you're right eye is dominant.
    Close your right eye (still without moving your arm, and remember to open your left eye before you do this, or it just won't work ). Do you still point your finger at the same spot? If so, you're left eye is dominant.

If your finger seems to move from the spot no matter what eye you close, you're probably more or less even sighted.

Hope I explained that somewhat understandably.

As for the actual problem, I have days when it's the same for me. I just can't see the line. I would be interested in hearing some good advice from more experienced players.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally Posted by Martin76
      Well, I don't really have a good advice on the actual problem, but here's a fairly easy way to find out if you have a dominant eye:

With both eyes open focus on a spot (a light switch or something) a few metres away. Now just reach out your arm and point your finger towards that spot.
      Close your left eye (without moving your arm). Do you still point your finger at the same spot? If so, you're right eye is dominant.
      Close your right eye (still without moving your arm, and remember to open your left eye before you do this, or it just won't work ). Do you still point your finger at the same spot? If so, you're left eye is dominant.

If your finger seems to move from the spot no matter what eye you close, you're probably more or less even sighted.

Hope I explained that somewhat understandably.

As for the actual problem, I have days when it's the same for me. I just can't see the line. I would be interested in hearing some good advice from more experienced players.

Cheers!
      i've tried that b4. Neither finger is on the object. So that means I'm even sighted??

Comment

If your even sighted your finger should be on it in both eyes, are would go see a professional coach for a few hours or try frank callans website for some online coaching.....
        Rocket Ronnie Rules!!!

Comment

Actually, if you're even sighted you should expect neither finger to be on the spot, but the finger should move a little less than if you have dominant eye. At least that's how I understand it (see fcsnooker.co.uk).

So, Han, you're probably more or less even sighted.

As for your problem; well, two things you could try:

1) Take a few shots where you really overdo the sighting thing. Trace your cue with your eyes when you go down on the shot, through the cue ball all the way to the object ball. Try to "force" yourself to see the line and see if it "comes back" for you.

2) The other thing is the exact opposite. Just focus on the spot on the object ball you want to hit and then trust your stance and line up without even trying to see a line. Speed up your approach to the cue ball and just get down and hit it. More often than not you'll find that it works quite well.

Both of these approaches really aren't a fix to the problem if you continually are having problems with it. But if you just have one of those days, they might make you snap out of it, so to speak.
          If it's a more common problem, I'd suggest some coaching...

Good luck!

Comment

thanks for all the advice.

On 1) When i try to pull the lines together with my eyes... they never come together, no matter how hard I try.

on 2) I'm trying that now. Works so much better. Just get down, trust myself and whack!!!

I'm actually combing 2) with the use of right eye on the line. Its working pretty well and even in comp under pressure. I'm practising with this technique now and its SO MUCH more comfortable. So I think this is it. Maybe I'm weird but if it works for me, then so be it. This is my conclusion.

han

Comment

Working...
            X