Improving Your Snooker Cue Action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improving Your Snooker Cue Action

I've recently started to submit some of our articles to online article ezines and the like. Here is the first of what I hope will be a long series of coaching articles. I've posted something similar before I believe but couldn't find it - this is now the finished article!

The following article was a response to a one2one coaching support request received at MaXimumbreak.com from a player who asked the question "Why is that every time when I'm about to make the shot I tend to change my cueing action to contact the object ball - it feels like I'm being negative about the game?"

I've decided to keep the majority of the answer within the article below because I expect that this a common question that many snooker players would like hear some advice about.

A good, solid cue action stems from confidence. If you aren't confident then it means that you may be thinking negatively about the game and your own ability. It is important that you try and enjoy yourself each time you play - don't worry about not playing well and missing balls because this all creates negative signals to your brain that can affect your whole game. I would suggest you take things back to basics and attempt to work on a pre-shot routine.

Okay...here's a couple of tips that should help you to resolve your problem...my answer is drawn from both a psychological and physical perspective.

Take a look at the very best snooker players and you'll see that they have some thing (amongst many other things of course) in common....this is that they stay very still on the shot. Now, what we must consider is that these players may once have been at the same level that you are now so they have developed, through practice, methods to help them to improve their technique. So, what you should bear in mind is that your own objective should also be to improve your 'stillness' and, from a psychological perspective you can do this by developing your concentration.

A simple way to improve your concentration is to give your brain something to think about - okay sounds strange but here's what I suggest you could do:

Now as I mentioned above, keeping still on the shot, is just one of many facets that make a good snooker player. As part of my coaching practice I like to go 'back to basics' and in doing this, I think that we could develop a new approach and mental plan, which will make up your pre-shot routine. Please bear with me as the first part of this exercise is related to the routine itself - you'll see how you're original question is covered as you read on.

First, decide on the shot you want to perform. Think about the way you want to play the shot in terms of cue power, side/english applied, position for the next ball - all of these factors give you your first sense of wanting to achieve - you are programming your brain to imagine yourself playing the shot in your mind.

Next, you stand behind the shot and take a deep breath before entering into the shot...remember the basics of a good stance (for right handers) - lead in with the right foot aiming down the line of the shot, then swing your left leg into position as you bend down to the table - the left leg will bend at the knee to allow you to get into the correct position, which is one that feels comfortable. Ensure you have your weight into the table (I like to call it 'attacking the table'). Bear in mind that you only have enough weight into the table so that if the table were taken away then you would expect to fall to the ground - if you haven't enough weight into the table then you'd be able to simply stand up without falling forward. At this point there is nothing wrong with shuffling your feet to get into a position that is most comfortable for you.

Okay, step three is where you original question comes in. What I suggest is that you should pick two points down the line of your cue that will act as a sight - similar to the sight of a gun. Again, what this does is programs your brain into doing something as you are calling it into action by concentrating on looking for the sight lines. A good example of a sight is two points on the feathers of your cue. To add to this little exercise, ensure that your chin is touching the cue - not pressing hard against it but just resting gently on the cue so that it does not impinge the cue as you swing.

So to quickly summarise, you know what shot you want to play; you're in the correct position for playing the shot and you're concentrating on sighting the cue properly and maintaining contact between the chin and cue.

Onto the final stage, which is where it can all go drastically wrong: the stroke itself....you really must tell yourself one important thing and that is that the only thing that is going to help you pot that ball is the way you approach, setup and 'cue' the shot - therefore all of the after-movements (e.g. lifting your head or steering the cue) can only have a negative affect on the outcome of a shot. So trust in what you are doing - concentrate on this short routine and work on improving your cue stroke to deliver the cue straight through the cue-ball with a nice follow through. At all times, maintain your position on the shot until and only until the balls have come to rest and you have (hopefully!) potted the ball and achieved position on the next ball.
    MaXimumbreak - Where Everyone's a Winner
    It's now free to join!!!
    MaXimumbreak Snooker Store

Thanks for this. I look forward to more in-depth coaching tips

Comment

More technical articles will follow. It's difficult to find the happy medium - you can't be too technical in word format. I hope I can share some useful tips with you all.
      It's now free to join!!!

Comment

staying still on the shot is absolutely critical. Steve Davies used to get his dad to hold a book above his head to monitor his movement when he was striking the cue ball. Apparantly he did this excercise for hours at a time to reduce his movement to a minimum. All that should be moving is the arm in a piston motion.

I somtimes hold my breath just as I strike to reduce movemement of my chest area. Sometimes I forget to start breating again and then pass out but thats infrequent.

Mark Selby is interesting because he seems to rock left to right just before he strikes but he's a very good potter/break builder so he's doing something right.
        www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

Originally Posted by MrRottweiler
          staying still on the shot is absolutely critical. Steve Davies used to get his dad to hold a book above his head to monitor his movement when he was striking the cue ball. Apparantly he did this excercise for hours at a time to reduce his movement to a minimum. All that should be moving is the arm in a piston motion.

I somtimes hold my breath just as I strike to reduce movemement of my chest area. Sometimes I forget to start breating again and then pass out but thats infrequent.

Mark Selby is interesting because he seems to rock left to right just before he strikes but he's a very good potter/break builder so he's doing something right.
          in fact it was a cue steve's dad used to hold above steves head, it worked 2

Comment

How true. Standing still on the shot is an essential requirement. However Mark Selby seems to correct his aiming down on the shot. I don't know if he is swaying at the very moment of the shot itself, though.
            Ten reds and not a colour...

Comment

well..its a very great information!i also have bought an e-book from thesnookergym dot com.i will share the book with you guys..there are total more than 1000 pages..its great..it costs around 300gbp..but dont worry..ill give u guys for free..!!its just an e-book..i will give u guys the activation code later if u want

Comment

Thats very kind Nardiello but thats a kind of piracy (warez) and most websites prohibit that.
                www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

well..dont worry man..for those who wants to improve his snooker skill..just pm me..not now..but in 3 days..i have to printed out all of them first..ok?i won't give the activation code here..its very completed..more than 1000 pages..i bought it from my winning money..when ding beat sullivan

Comment

Great information..thanks....!!
                    "Ronnie's spiecal, He's a genius. Snookers equivalent of Mozart" -Peter Ebdon.

Comment

Originally Posted by maximumbreak

The following article was a response to a one2one coaching support request received at MaXimumbreak.com from a player who asked the question "Why is that every time when I'm about to make the shot I tend to change my cueing action to contact the object ball - it feels like I'm being negative about the game?"

I think this is indeed one of the biggest problems all beginners and a lot of avarage players have.It happens when you're not certain about you're aim.When you're down you start to see different lines and/or contact points.

Most people can judge angles pretty good after some practice,so it comes down to a good sighting method.Enough has been said about cueing straight and keeping still so i will give you my thoughts about sighting the shot.

When you have judged the angle and go down keep your eyes on the contact point on the objectball.You don't have to look at it continuesly when going down but immidiatly focus on it again when you have looked at the white.Now you have to create a comfortable feeling between the middle of the white and the contact point on the objectbal.This is very important!

Where it goes wrong for a lot of people is that they go search for lines(or how thick the cueball most cover the objectball)
                      When you do this you find new contact points and start hitting across the white and you will miss the pot(you will still pot balls when your aim is of because of the side,but you will never be able to make a 50 this way)

So make sure you stick with the point on the objectball you choose first.Cue up to the middle of the white.Don't let your eyes glance to a new contact point or your cue will go with it and it will be harder to find the first(good) line.If you now miss you can quickly adjust because you have choosen the wrong spot.

Remember you will only really improve once you start to get comfortable in your stance and aiming and cueing straight (middle of the white/contactpoint objectball) so concentrate on that.

good luck and cheers,C-J

Comment

Nice post. It's quite difficult to describe so bear with me on this one...As you improve your snooker game, you develop a more complete understanding of what you are trying to achieve with each shot. Therefore you approach each shot with a purpose. Having a purpose for anything you do in life gives you an objective - You then prepare yourself and engage your brain to contemplate a series of actions or thought processes to help you to achieve that objective. Transferring this to snooker, simply having this clear objective in your mind (e.g. to play a particular shot by applying knowledge of angle, power, strike on the white ball - topspin, bottom spin, side spin required) will translate into a fluent and confident approach to the table and to the delivery of the cue.

On the flipside and to put this into perspective, without this knowledge or without a purpose, a player approaches the table without engaging their brain to contemplate any specific series of actions or thought processes (i.e. no knowledge of angle, power, cueball striking so no specific approach to any shot) so they have little chance of achieving an objective.

Take this onboard, with the help of a coach or even a training aid, and you'll be able to set yourself clear, step-by-step objectives by which to develop your own game.
                        It's now free to join!!!

Comment

I know that's true but i tried to guide people in the what to concentrate on to improve.Scarce hours on the practise table are best spend trying to get comfortable and slowly create understanding at the easy shots instead if trying difficult shots missing more then potting and not nowing why.

Comment

Excellent - There's lots more to come as I mentioned above. I've a detailed article on sighting. I find that there's a only so much that anyone can take in from reading a single article. My first article was an effort to give players a number of facets of their game to concentrate on in an effort to improve their pre-shot routine and cue action: knowledge and application of their knowledge to the shot, a solid stance with weight into the table, sighting through the target line and a nice stroke with a form follow through.
                            It's now free to join!!!

Comment

Looking forward to read that article on sightning.I'v had a lot of problems with it because my left eye is much stronger and in my early snooker years(from late eighties to mid nineties) i didn't know this.Despite a lot of lonely hours on the practice table i couldn't really improve.Two years ago i started to play again after a 10 year break and again put in a lot of lonely hours.With the knowledge about my left eye now in the beginnig it was still difficult because i had to get used to cue from under it and the new feeling(sighting)

I can cue very straight and confident now and i think a good sign of that is when you can play shots at the slowest possible pace.
                              I never had any coaching (red a few books though) but because of my love(hooked) for the game and good concentration i played a lot of lonely hours.This and my sightning problems with the strong left eye gave me my understanding.

I'm now at a level where i feel i can really improve and that's why i'm glad i found this board,i hope to learn from all of you who where at this level a long time ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X