Pre-Shot Routine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-Shot Routine

Anyone got one different to mine? Mine is a bit long as i always keep in mind about what exactly i should be doing.

Mine is:
    1. Look for the ball to play
    2. Think how to get on the next ball
    3. Get down on the shot
    4. Get the stance correct
    5. Get the grip correct
    6. Get the head still
    7. Look for the right spot on the cue ball to strike

When you play the shot should you be looking at the object ball or the cue ball? I always look at the object ball then, as i pull the cue back and get ready to move it forward, look at the cue ball. People tell me im doing it the wrong way round.
    http://marronsfooty.proboards50.com/index.cgi Sign Up!

Originally Posted by marron
    Anyone got one different to mine? Mine is a bit long as i always keep in mind about what exactly i should be doing.

Mine is:
    1. Look for the ball to play
    2. Think how to get on the next ball
    3. Get down on the shot
    4. Get the stance correct
    5. Get the grip correct
    6. Get the head still
    7. Look for the right spot on the cue ball to strike

When you play the shot should you be looking at the object ball or the cue ball? I always look at the object ball then, as i pull the cue back and get ready to move it forward, look at the cue ball. People tell me im doing it the wrong way round.

Its paramount to be looking at the exact spot on the object ball when you strike.
    www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

Good but imo in the wrong order,

I would say grip should be right before you get down, stance should be sorted on your way down obviously apart from your bridging hand.

As for sighting upon striking i don't honesty know, i don't like to think about it too much in case it messes with my head.

Its good to have a basic routine and stick to it, if you think about it too much you will be aiming for perfection and you will never get it 100% right.

In fact each to their own, if you feel comfortable then there is no right and wrong.
      http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

1. Look for the table.
        2. Have a quick look to see that all pockets are in the correct places (ie corners and middle)
        3. Have a quiet word with your opponent to make sure it's your turn at the table.
        4. Make sure you got your cue in your hand.
        5. File, round up, polish and chalk the cue.
        6. Approach the table.
        7. Find a suitable object ball to play on.
        8. Find a suitable pocket in which to sink the object ball.
        9. Make sure the cue ball is on the playing surface.
        10. Draw a line between the cue ball and object ball and pocket.
        11. Put your feet steady on the carpet.
        12. Hold one end of the cue firmly in one of your hands.
        13. Bend the other hand into the shape of a so called arch in which you place the other side, preferrably the pointed one, of your cue lengthwise.
        14. Bend over until you hit the cue with your chin.
        15. Raise your head until you can see both the cue ball and object ball. Make sure the cue ball is closer to you than the object ball.
        16. Start moving your arm in such a way so that the cue is moving towards the cue ball.
        16. Swing back and forth about 2-6 times, depending on your mood.
        17. Swing forward so far so that one end of your cue hits the cue ball. Be sure to exhale during the hit, as to give the cue ball a little fair wind.
        18. Watch the balls hit eachother.
        19. Raise up your body in full standing position. Curse quitely if necessary and/or hit the table with your hand at a speed of your choice.
        20. If your opponent is approaching the table is such a wasy as to say it's his turn, rub out the lines on the table and back off slowly.
        21. Otherwise, see 1.

Comment

Yours short and sweet then
          http://marronsfooty.proboards50.com/index.cgi Sign Up!

Comment

Originally Posted by hegeland
            1. Look for the table.
            2. Have a quick look to see that all pockets are in the correct places (ie corners and middle)
            3. Have a quiet word with your opponent to make sure it's your turn at the table.
            6. Approach the table.
            13. Bend the other hand into the shape of a so called arch in which you place the other side, preferrably the pointed one, of your cue lengthwise.
            15. Raise your head until you can see both the cue ball and object ball. Make sure the cue ball is closer to you than the object ball.
            16. Start moving your arm in such a way so that the cue is moving towards the cue ball.
            17. Swing forward so far so that one end of your cue hits the cue ball. Be sure to exhale during the hit, as to give the cue ball a little fair wind.
            19. Raise up your body in full standing position. Curse quitely if necessary and/or hit the table with your hand at a speed of your choice.
            20. If your opponent is approaching the table is such a wasy as to say it's his turn, rub out the lines on the table and back off slowly.
            21. Otherwise, see 1.
            exactly how ROS does it, only in fast forward.

Comment

1. Look for the table.
              6. Approach the table.
              21. Otherwise, see 1.
              LOL! nice.
              Who needs 'The Rocket' , When RaNeN is here!

Comment

1. Look for the table.
                6. Approach the table.
                21. Otherwise, see 1.

. quality...
                The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Where is the special brew?
                  www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

Well you asked for it!

Well you asked for it! Here is my official pre-shot routine and professionally presented!

Here we go -

--------------------

For long shots or when i'm not yet in my rhythm -

1. Wake up,
                    2. Stand Up
                    3. Pick up your cue
                    4. Make sure that its tightened but don't over tighten the joint, players with 1pc cues skip this part,
                    5. Make that its your cue.
                    6. Find the table.
                    7. Look at the situation and say in your head what ball you are going for.
                    8. Look at the position of the balls.
                    9. Work out in my head what ball to go for, thinking positively, but thinking what is the shot that will give me more [B]advantage[B]. I also think about is that the right shot to play, is it the easiest shot or best shot.
                    10. I think about what area the cue ball should go to. I think about percenatge play too. I say in my head, the ball i'm going for, the speed, and I imagine the shot in my head.
                    11. When composed and ready, Put right foot (for right-handers and opposite for left handers) on the line of the shot.
                    12. I then put my left foot shoulder width apart and both feet pointing in the direction of the shot.
                    13. I then put my right foot forward right into position from my previous position. The distance from the table is determined from your height. You should make a comfortable step forward for your stance.
                    14. I then step my left foot forward into the correct position. I want to get right into my stance.
                    15. I then bend down looking at the object ball and then when halfway down, looking at the cue-ball. I put my bridge and bridge arm into position, and right into position.
                    16. Through muscle memory I put my cue arm into position, but I don't look around and see if its straight, that could make the cue go off-line.
                    17. I adress the cue-ball where I mean to strike it.
                    18. After that, after about 2 seconds, I start my feathers, bringing the cue back and forward, as back and forward being one. On the second prelimenary backswing I look at the object ball.
                    18. After my three feathers I look pause 'at the front' then I bring my cue back for the last time.
                    19.'At the back' I look at the point of contact.
                    20. Then after my fethers which were in time, and after bringing my cue back in time and pausing...
                    21. I push the cue through, I do not rush that strike.
                    22. I push my cue through freely and smoothly.
                    23. I do not recoil my cue back, I push it straight through.
                    24. Also I do not follow my eyes to the object ball, I keep my eyes steady.
                    25. I then weaken mt bridge, and lift my hand straight off of the table. Making sure that no other balls are going to hit my cue. If there is I do it quickly but hopefully not interfering with my delivery of the cue.
                    26. I then step back, and start with number 1 if I potted it, or walk back to my chair or stand up. I make sure that i'm mentally prepared for the next shot. If I played a bad shot, then I examine and see how to improve, but I don't dwell on it.
                    27. After the shot though, if no referee, I put up my points on the scoreboard.
                    28. I check everything is normal, like no aliens invading the club.
                    29. I then watch...
                    30. And wait, or continue if I potted.

--------------------

For when I have my rhythm -

Exactly the same as above but I speed up the pace a bit.

--------------------

So everybody - That is my preshot routine above...

There are Notes though...

I AM ONLY JOKING FOR SOME OF THEM, LIKE CHECK NO ALIENS

I do it naturally, it seems like a drag and that i'm not concentrating on the shots, but I do it naturally.

But Rembember CHALK YOUR CUE

I AM BEING VERY DETAILED HERE THOUGH

TRY HARD BUT RELAX

---------

Oh that was a long post

Comment

Sorry about that everybody, a few spelling mistakes and for some reason it says B advantage B, I do not know why but i'm now embarassed.
                      For some steps I was joking though.

Comment

Going back to the original message the pause in the feathers is to switch your eyes to the spot on the object ball you intend to hit. After the pause you can then pause again to help the shot's timing. Your eyes should be on the object ball when you strike the white. Another point to mention is that the shot should be chosen (including the angle needed to hit the object ball to pot it) BEFORE you walk into the line of shot. Dont get down before knowing exactly what shot you are going to play.

By the way thought the reply by hegeland was genius )
                        coaching is not just for the pros
                        www.121snookercoaching.com

Comment

Quite liked....

1) Wake Up

Maybe it should have been

1) Wake Up
                          2) Consume 1/4 pt of Stella Artois....
                          3) ....

Comment

As I am a more experienced member, I have got used to the fonts sizes!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by hegeland View Post
                              1. Look for the table.
                              6. Approach the table.
                              21. Otherwise, see 1.
                              After 19 I usually either has got the pace and position for next shot right and not potted, or has potted a ball and lost position. In both cases I curse quietly, sometimes even high.
                              ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
                              "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

Working...
                              X