coaching questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Del

Its Darren from Worksop, December 07 class, thanks for a great 2 days. The coaching going really well.Ive got a young 12 yr old who is knocking in 40+ breaks and improving very quickly. Can suggest the best course for him to take i.e junior league, tours and comps he his best going in.

all the best

Daz

Comment

Hi Del, I could do with advice on how to consistenly cue more accurately.

I feel as if i can keep my cueing pretty good; controlled, tight and accurate on a pool table. And can play to a standard thats satisfying.

But when i try to play snooker i feel as if my technique doesnt hold up for some reason- my cueing wobbles too much. I think until i get this sorted out my snooker is never going to improve much. I know the shots but im way too erratic and inconsistent.
      "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

Hi Del,

- the "dummies"
        I can't help it, I have to ask .... what are the "dummies" ?

- Cue arm movement on delivery
        I am right handed, left eye dominant.
        I have an almost square stance.
        When I adress the white and during my feathers, everything is fine.
        BUT when I deliver the cue (especially just before the tip touches the white), my cueing arm moves slightly inwards, towards my body and under my left eye to complete the drive.
        Sometimes this creates certain problems (unwanted side).
        I try to keep my shoulder braced and keep still on the shot and that helps a lot.
        I have seen other pros, move their arms/elbow during the drive for example (Graham and Stephen sort of move their cueing arm outwards on the drive)
        I think Ron moves his elbow slightly inwards too.
        This has been giving me a bit of a headache so I had to ask.
        Any comments on that matter ?

- Cue length
        My cue has almost the same height as my shoulder has measured from the floor. Any comments on the cue lenght ?

Thank you beforehand.
        :snooker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERnqd...4&feature=plcp

Comment

Originally Posted by snookergr View Post
          Hi Del,

- the "dummies"
          I can't help it, I have to ask .... what are the "dummies" ?

- Cue arm movement on delivery
          I am right handed, left eye dominant.
          I have an almost square stance.
          When I adress the white and during my feathers, everything is fine.
          BUT when I deliver the cue (especially just before the tip touches the white), my cueing arm moves slightly inwards, towards my body and under my left eye to complete the drive.
          Sometimes this creates certain problems (unwanted side).
          I try to keep my shoulder braced and keep still on the shot and that helps a lot.
          I have seen other pros, move their arms/elbow during the drive for example (Graham and Stephen sort of move their cueing arm outwards on the drive)
          I think Ron moves his elbow slightly inwards too.
          This has been giving me a bit of a headache so I had to ask.
          Any comments on that matter.?
          i,v exactly the same problem.Sometimes i can make good breaks quick an easy,then i miss a few,start concentrating better on my sightning and thats when the problem occurs.When it's there(in a match)i can't go back to the fluent style because the loss of confidence and i also can't concentrate on the sightning....
          I can overcome it largely by concentrating on cueing straight but then i'v not enough left to play good position.

Comment

Originally Posted by coach del View Post
            hi juza as you aproach the shot put your tip to the cue ball then as you are approx 10cm above your cue sight your shot this is done in a split second then put your chest contact point to the cue .This will enable you to be sighting your shot naturally .if your head tilts or do esnt whatever is your natural way of sighting .As a matter of fact Ronnie is r handed but slightly left eyed dominant .With sighting it is an individual thing in short if it works for you its right .happy potting bud all the best Del .
            Thanks for answer Del!

I would like to go a little bit deeper in this subject and ask your opinion. I used to play in a way that my head was straight but this stopped me getting my hand behind my head and perfectly in line with my shoulder and head. That's why i started tilting my head to left. When i started doing it sighting felt really difficult but i managed to adjust pretty well in some level. So i would say that this head tilting isn't natural it's forced so i can get my cue perfectly behind my head. I think i need some 6 months to adjust my sighting perfectly but i feel i need to make this chance. Does this make sense to anybody . Comments?

The other problem is my stance. My bodyweight tends to be too much on my left foot i'm left handed. Any suggestions how to be more balanced?

Thanks very much!

Comment

The stance

Originally Posted by coach del View Post
              hi this is Del if you would like to ask me some questions on coaching i will answer from the snooker farm .
              Hi coach.
              I have a problem staying balanced and still on the shots. Frank Callan says a player must move into the shot.
              1.What does this mean? 2.Should I shift my weight to the left when going down?
              Thanx for any advice

Comment

Working...
              X