Cannot screw back that far??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot screw back that far??

Hi there I was using a new personal cue since I re-started playing snooker (hah, a 5 year engagement went wrong...) and I have since accepted that I could only screw back a certain amount.

However when I was given a house cue to re-tip, I did the job and had a few test hits. I screwed back at least twice the distance with the same effort!

The tips on both cues are exactly the same thing (blue diamond) and were both re-tipped by me with the same curvature. Anyone knows why???

Thanks!

Well even though they are the same brand of tip they won't be exactly the same, and if it's a different weight of cue you're using, could be a number of things. As long as you're following right through with your cue and hitting the white on the right spot you should be quite consistant. I'd experiment, don't hit the white too hard, just focus on you're technique and see what happens.
    Alex Higgins "If I knew you were comin I'd have baked a cake, baked a cake, baked a cake"

Comment

That's right LWB, also, it may be different hardness of each tip, it can effect your screw results.

Comment

Originally Posted by bongo View Post
        That's right LWB, also, it may be different hardness of each tip, it can effect your screw results.
        Thank you for your replies! The 2 tips were from the same box, so I can assume safely that they are identical. But yes I reckon weight could be and would be the most probable factor.

Comment

Not every tip in the box will be the same, I'm sure as hell not the expert on tips but I think a tip is like a cue, no two are exactly the same.
          Alex Higgins "If I knew you were comin I'd have baked a cake, baked a cake, baked a cake"

Comment

Each box of tips varies hugely. Some will match your needs, others not. I once put a tip on a cue that was new to me and played great with it, until it was time to replace the tip (same box) and the new one was terrible, I was all over the place, really struggling to control the white, so i cut it off and replaced it again and that one was better.

Comment

Yeah it's true tips in a box vary vastly and blue diamonds more than any others lately. So much so I've moved on to elks!
              Any way if you search you may find what Trevor White had to say about this worth a read. You can actually stick your nail in a tip and feel how hard it is as a guide.

I reckon you should try experiment again see if you can recreate the results. Maybe get somebody else to try both cues.
              Is there an Australian Snooker Science journal to publish the findings?

Comment

Ok ok i've finally cut off the tip, replaced it with one from THE SAME BOX. Guess what? my super-screw is back! Blame the tip

Thanks for the advice guys

Comment

Originally Posted by myshoulderhurts View Post
                  Ok ok i've finally cut off the tip, replaced it with one from THE SAME BOX. Guess what? my super-screw is back! Blame the tip

Thanks for the advice guys
                  This post proves that the cue/tip plays a huge role in achieving spin, whereas everyone (friends, family members) tell me it's all down to the player - if you're talented and play for a living then maybe you can get spin with anything.

Comment

Here's one more. That's a 3/4 cue I have. Try taking off the butt, and then do a screw back. I couldn't screw back more than a few inches. So I suppose weight also helps in the spins.

Comment

Hi. This is my first post. And quite relevant because I also have problems with screwback. Have tried and tried by practicing, but never consistent. Very often just stop the ball dead! Can't get advice from team mates (I play in a league and have finished with 70%) as they do it automatically. My cue is 18oz. I think I might grip it too tight? Cue could be longer as I hold the end of the butt in the palm of my hand. I know what I should be doing (follow through) but just can't crack it consistently.

Comment

yeah seems to be a problem too sometimes. I think we've got to overcome our fear of miscueing to really get good screwback. Just make sure your tip is ok first and a nice follow thru with a low aim on the ball would be great. I once had to act as a wicket keeper for this bloke who had troubles finding the right spot to strike the ball on for max screwback but without the ball flying off the table. Eventually he got it. Good luck mate!

Comment

tip for screw

lionel,

try potting a pink into the corner pocket with the white a foot or 2 away. However place 2 reds either side of the cue ball but 5 or 6 inches closer to the pink ball. Aim to pot the pink but when you follow through with the cue check that your cue finishes between the 2 balls. That way you know you are following through. Also the grip must be quite loose and relaxed. If you do hold the cue too tight you wont get through the white in a smooth action. Hope this helps.

gav
                          coaching is not just for the pros
                          www.121snookercoaching.com

Comment

Originally Posted by myshoulderhurts View Post
                            Here's one more. That's a 3/4 cue I have. Try taking off the butt, and then do a screw back. I couldn't screw back more than a few inches. So I suppose weight also helps in the spins.
                            that also might be because the shorter length would give you less follow through.

Comment

Originally Posted by Theguywithaplan View Post
                              that also might be because the shorter length would give you less follow through.
                              oh yeah it is too eh...

Comment

Working...
                              X