Videos on breakbuilding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Videos on breakbuilding?

I have been playing snooker for about 5 years. I have gone through all the stages from learning to correct my stroke and stance to learning spin, draw, stun, safety play, etc. I wouldn't say all those skills are fully honed, but I have more than enough ability. My coach, friend, and mentor often say I have all the skills necessary to make 50+ breaks all the time and that I should have already made many centuries by now. Sadly, the tonne eludes me and my high break is 72 at the moment.

My biggest problem is that I often get lost in the black/pink and don't know where/when I should be opening up the reds to make a significant break. I am a very capable potter and sometimes clear up if the reds are open but the century seems insurmountable.

Are there any videos that will help me along?

Thanks
    Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
    My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Hey man, have you seen this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ircz2oF1I4g
    Willie thorne commentating on every shot of a maximum, i picked up some nice tips from it
    good luck

Comment

Thanks, yes I have seen that one before. Good link though! Saves me from having to shuffle through my DVD collection

Comment

YouTubes got of lot of stuff. Do a search like the one recommended above. I'm in the middle o preparing some stuff with Frank Callan.. Keep yer eyes peeled!

Comment

I still haven't found anything that will give me the "secret". Perhaps I need to work with a proper coach or something. I still don't see what I'm supposed to see but one thing I do get from watching snooker are the following rules

1. Pot reds in the corners whenever possible
          2. Direct cue ball "into" the line of the next shot
          3. Give yourself options when positioning for the next red
          4. Open the pack in such a way you still have an open red
          5. Remove reds that block the pink/black from going into corners and middle
          6. Play high on the black whenever u can
          7. Leave reds near pockets and go for opening reds instead
          8. Use center ball for positioning and if you can't go for blue or balk colors

Any other tips I'm not seeing? How do I apply these rules properly?

Comment

Stop looking for a secret, there isn't one. The best thing you can do is watch loads and loads of snooker on TV and especially on Youtube, preferably with good commentators like Dennis Taylor, Steve Davis etc. who know the game inside out. A lot of the game theory and tactics can be learned from there, and then you just have to try and bring it to your own game. The breakbuilders/tacticians you want to learn from include O'Sullivan, J. Higgins, Selby, Hendry and Allen who are all very efficient and dynamic in their game.

Those rules you wrote are all good, but you don't want to be thinking those during game, just try to think 2 to 3 shots ahead so that you have nice options to keep the break going. No need to cloud your thoughts with so many different rules or guidelines, just try to make efficiency a routine.

Comment

You mentioned the "break building rules" on your own, you got a few tips, you were told (and told yourself) to watch snooker, either online or on TV...

BUT:

One thing was missed out so far, an important one as I think.

It indeed is important to know the mentioned key points of break building and learn by watching others who have mastered this skill, but...

... Have you ever watched YOURSELF building your breaks?

That might open your eyes. I've done this before - just place a camera near the table and have a few frames recorded - or a training session, starting with a few reds spread out, the rest in a pack.

Watch the break you play, and you will soon see "the" shot - the one that was not good considering the development of the frame/break, the one that should been refused.

That's a thing that is damn hard to spot while playing, but you can learn from it afterwards having a recording.

Maybe, sometimes, it doesn't even need much. Just break the pack one shot earlier, or play one free red first, or... see a chance to just slightly brush the pack while potting a red and gain position for the black - go and watch yourself play.

And please, you got to be HARD to yourself. While looking at your break, imagine the commentary, saying: "oh, he's played a poor shot there, he really should have gone for the other red here!"

Comment

All that work for £1.47 .....

Good video though, with some nice tips. Well worth a watch

Comment

Have a watch of this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCKjlOOibIw

The bit you want begins 5 minutes in.

Comment

hmm interesting, i heard you shouldn't put side on unless the white hits the cushion, but the great WT used bottom/right without using a cushion?? it's on part 5 of that video potting the pink.

Comment

Originally Posted by stephenm2682 View Post
                      hmm interesting, i heard you shouldn't put side on unless the white hits the cushion, but the great WT used bottom/right without using a cushion?? it's on part 5 of that video potting the pink.
                      That's why he was never that great
                      Mr, I made the most 147's (when no-one was looking), and I can critique on telly because of this and Mr, I did not win any tournements, that great!!!
                      Last edited by snawaz; 4 May 2010, 08:13 PM. Reason: spelling
                      Breaks 2010- 47, 40, 56, 53, 47, 45, 46

Highest break 69

Comment

on a slow table, a spinning cue ball might help to get it further than where it would land without the spin, all compared to a faster table.

But then, it's going to make the shot more complicated.

Comment

Great link! I know Willie has commentated on breakbuilding before didn't know something official like that existed. I have used side to "move" the ball around in the past, but was told by someone it wasn't a good way to go.

Thanks!

Comment

unless you get really accurate position during a break then imo your almost always going to use side or more than one and probably a few times .

Comment

Originally Posted by thelongbomber View Post
                              I still haven't found anything that will give me the "secret". Perhaps I need to work with a proper coach or something. I still don't see what I'm supposed to see but one thing I do get from watching snooker are the following rules

1. Pot reds in the corners whenever possible
                              2. Direct cue ball "into" the line of the next shot
                              3. Give yourself options when positioning for the next red
                              4. Open the pack in such a way you still have an open red
                              5. Remove reds that block the pink/black from going into corners and middle
                              6. Play high on the black whenever u can
                              7. Leave reds near pockets and go for opening reds instead
                              8. Use center ball for positioning and if you can't go for blue or balk colors

Any other tips I'm not seeing? How do I apply these rules properly?

how many balls ahead are you playing?

Comment

Working...
                              X