neck/shoulder muscle stiffening/aching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• neck/shoulder muscle stiffening/aching

Any one else get/ever got any problems with the muscles between the back of the neck and shoulder (on the bridge arm side) aching/stiffening up after playing for a little while ?

Any tips to relieve this ?, does it mean my stance is somehow wrong or awkward in some way ?
    "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Originally Posted by dannyd0g View Post
    Any one else get/ever got any problems with the muscles between the back of the neck and shoulder (on the bridge arm side) aching/stiffening up after playing for a little while ?

Any tips to relieve this ?, does it mean my stance is somehow wrong or awkward in some way ?
    I have no idea about the stance thing, but I get pain in a similar place, the only thing that relieves the pain for me is some anti inflammatory pain killers, a hot shower and some olbas oil rubbed in to the affected area.
    It probably happens because you muscles are getting used to your arm being in used in a repetitive way, hope it helps!!!!

Comment

Yes I have experienced this pain, and concluded that my cue is too long. I played with a short maple cue while my northwest cue was away for repairs and I felt no pain after 2 hrs of play.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I will keep perservering then and hope the muscles get used to what they are being asked to do quickly.

The only good thing i suppose is that the stifness totally clears up by itself within about an hour of stopping playing.
        "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

Originally Posted by mattyuk View Post
          Yes I have experienced this pain, and concluded that my cue is too long. I played with a short maple cue while my northwest cue was away for repairs and I felt no pain after 2 hrs of play.
          Thanks for the reply - you must mean you get this pain on the cueing arm side of the body ? Mine is on the bridge arm side.

Im experimenting with different ways of sighting - unfortuantely for me it seems the way that gives me the best view along the cue causes the worst acheing after a while.
          Last edited by dannyd0g; 25 May 2008, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Yeah I mean my cueing arm, right arm. Im getting a new cue so its gonna shorter, around 55.

Comment

i used to have this pain too, but i left it a few days and played on.

i play more and more now and havent experienced it anymore.

i figured it was just the muscles getting used to the repetitiveness.
              Crucible77's Bahrain Championship Fantasy Game Winner 2008 :snooker:

HB practice: 112
              HB match: 81

Comment

Originally Posted by stjimmy18-1991 View Post
                i used to have this pain too, but i left it a few days and played on.

i play more and more now and havent experienced it anymore.

i figured it was just the muscles getting used to the repetitiveness.
                I've had this problem for the last six months now. I'm sure it's come about through me playing a lot of snooker this year.:snooker: Awaiting a neck scan this thursday morning. Local tournament here on saturday, but i won't play. Pain is getting a bit severe. Trying to sleep without a pillow. Tried hot muscle spray.

Comment

Originally Posted by dannyd0g View Post

Yes i do, though i put it down to age and not getting enough exercise..
                  "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

I have to agree that this is age-related as I had a sore area on my right lower neck (I'm over 60yrs). Luckily my wife is a physiotherapist and she recommended some corrective exercises and I haven't had any of the pain for month now.

It's caused by repetitive motion and you should try and get to a physio who will recommend a few simple exercises which will relieve it.

I do mine in the shower each morning and it takes me just 2 minutes or so to do both arms. It's too difficult to describe them here in detail

Terry
                    Terry Davidson
                    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Many thanks for that. It will be interesting to see what the scan shows up on thursday morning. It really is quite painful at the mo.

Comment

Neck pains

After MRI Scan last week here in Luxembourg. Results reveal a flattened disc inbetween pos 6 and 7 in the neck spine, and two nerves have been pushed out of line. These nerves connect to the middle fingers of each hand. Next will be a consultation with a Neuro-Surgeon. Ieuan...

Comment

Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
                          After MRI Scan last week here in Luxembourg. Results reveal a flattened disc inbetween pos 6 and 7 in the neck spine, and two nerves have been pushed out of line. These nerves connect to the middle fingers of each hand. Next will be a consultation with a Neuro-Surgeon. Ieuan...
                          Snoopy, I hope that surgery is not the way forward. Tends to just move the problems elsewhere. You've maybe already been this route but excercise and Osteopathy mainipulation can help. Can take a while before any improvement is noticed however.

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
                            Snoopy, I hope that surgery is not the way forward. Tends to just move the problems elsewhere. You've maybe already been this route but excercise and Osteopathy mainipulation can help. Can take a while before any improvement is noticed however.
                            Thanks for your reply Bigmeek. I have an appointment to see Dr. Dang. A vietnamese doctor (Neuro-Surgeon ) here at the center hospital in Luxembourg on the 10th Dec. I've heard good reports about his operations. But first things first. See what he says in this first meeting. Cheers, Snoopy...

Comment

Im experiencing something similar to this, though its in the shoulder of my bridging arm more than the neck. Im only 21 and am quite active and fit so i wouldnt put it down to age or lack of excercise.
                              Iv been playing alot of snooker lately, and it just seems to be getting worse every time i play, im going to go to the doctors today.
                              Ibuprofen kills the pain for a few hours if you fancy a few frames.

Comment

Working...
                              X