No announcement yet.

aiming technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been using the ghost ball sighting technique for about 3 months is that the right way to sight? and do you have to do it when your down on the shot as you would do it when your up on the shot?

Comment

It isnt right or wrong technique-wise Anthony762 its whatever works for you. As for your second point I dont use it or recommend it to any of my students but yes I would ensure you use it when you are down on the shot. Try to make the game as easy as possible and give yourself EVERY chance as the game is hard enoough.
      Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
      Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

Does anyone use the ghost ball technique?
        and is it the way pros use?
        and do you have to do the ghost ball technique when your down on the shot as you would when your up on the shot.

Comment

[
          Once you have ascertained the contact point, you need to make a judgement that will allow the cue ball the make contact with that point. This is always done by aiming the cue outside the contact point by varying degrees.

Very good point. This link explains it:
          http://www.snookergames.co.uk/tuition2.html
          Proud winner of the 2009 Premier League Semi-Final Prediction Contest

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
            good thread kwt! thanks for starting it ...

I haven't read "successful snooker" but from your quote above, I'm wondering if it was written by a ghost writer rather than Steve himself because this quote seems to be from someone who has never picked up a cue ...

of course, surely that's obvious ... take a 1/2 ball pot for instance ... you want to hit the object ball 1/2 ball but you must allow for the width of the cue ball so the line of the cue should be the edge of the object ball ... if you line up the cue at the 1/2 way point on the object ball, you'll hit it way too thick - 3/4 ball in fact ...

that's surely a lesson for 10 year olds? but surely not a sensible discussion of aiming techniques of which I think there are 3 main types ... (a) the contact point on the object ball (b) the ghost ball and (c) the quarters (full, 3/4/ 1/2, 1/4 or thin) ...

I personally tend to make an initial assessment using (c) and then refine it using (a) allowing for the width of the cue ball ...

in his 80's book/video "champion's way", Steve made it clear he used (c) type aiming although that's not to say he does now ...

BTW - no rudeness to 10 year olds intended - I'm sure there's loads of you out there who would give me an absoluite thrashing ...
            I thought "Chamipon's Way" by Steve Davis he uses the ghost ball and can you explain (c) please thanks a-lot.

Comment

Working...
            X