Who coaches who?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who coaches who?

I was doing some coaching the other day and a client was asking me about whether the pros get coaching and why they need help with their games. It led to an interesting chat and started me thinking.

How many of the top players have regular coaches they work with and who?

For example its well documented that marco fu is helped by Terry Griffiths while Ronnie worked with Ray Reardon a few years ago. As far as I know Steve davis had his dad as his advisor/ helper and has never really used anyone else apart from frank callan.
    coaching is not just for the pros
    www.121snookercoaching.com

I think Ronnie is working with Frank Adamson these days.
    Proud winner of the 2009 Premier League Semi-Final Prediction Contest

Comment

Hendry still with Chris Henry?
      sigpic
      http://prosnookerblog.com/

Comment

I think players who have been struggling with their game or need a lift tend to use a coach. It has done wonders for Fu for example, although I don't see any technical improvement, I think in the main they change coach just to give them a confidence boost more than anything. With the top players its more about the mental aspect than anything else, really they need to see a psychologist more than a snooker coach.

Comment

I don't think a psychologist does the same type of work as a coach. One thing is to be helped working on attitude, confidence and other psychological aspects, another is to have someone skilled observing your game from an "exterior" standpoint, pointing at problems you don't "see" yourself and possibly discussing technical matters from a pro to another. Both things might be needed as I see them as complementary.
          Proud winner of the 2008 Bahrain Championship Lucky Dip
          http://ronnieosullivan.tv/forum/index.php

Comment

Hendry is no longer working with Chris Henry
            Ronnie is working with Frank Adamson
            Griff had a busy week as he is coach to all the 110sport players, to a greater or lesser degree.
            He works with Marco, Ali, Maguire, Joe Perry, Mark Allen etc although Ali told me "I don't go down to Llanelli cos it's too far away". I pointed out to Ali that Llanelli is, of course, the centre of the snooker universe and that it's Essex that's a long way away!
            Del Hill works with Stephen Lee and others too.
            Janie Watkins
            On Q Promotions / South West Snooker Academy
            All views are my own and in no way represent On Q or the Academy

Comment

I heard a rumour that Shaun Murphy was working with Ray Reardon. It seems to me that if a professional player has a new coach then the player suddenly hits form and plays very well in a tournament.

Comment

Working...
              X