Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line of aim

Hello folks,

I have been watching a Barry Stark video and I just cannot get my head round what he is saying. He is saying that he is not aiming at a specific point on the object ball, he is aiming along the line. I always pick a point on the object ball and then try to make sure that the cue ball will hit that spot.

I am a doddery old wrinkley and am struggling with this. Can someone explain this in a little more detail please. The main bit of this is around the 4 minute mark.

Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs2X...&index=31&t=0s

I've been struggling with this concept for years. what i understand is he means that when he is aiming he isn't aiming at a spot on the OB. he picks a point on the object ball while standing behind the cueball, and then visualizes the path the cueball would take to send the white to this point.so in effect he is choosing an imaginary line through the middle of the white. and this is the line you drop on to. now how you find this line is another question. in most cases its trial and error. by practicing over and over you get to remember from the angle of the shot where this line is.

Comment

In my opinion, picking a contact point on object ball is the one of many ways to pick up that 'line' which many people here defined alignment with. However, I found most of times the line directly to contact point is not equivalent to the potting 'line' especially at thin cut(probably because of the intersect point is usually not the point you see on ob ?).
      And envisioning a line of potting always gives your more margin to error. Once you are on correct line, even the aiming is slightly off the fine tuning doesn't require any movement which may throw you off the line.
      That's why I think most of best play saying 'use your leg to pot the ball' as your first step in leg will determine your line and will have already put you in a potting position almost accurate.

Comment

I think this is what is being described.
        Excuse if I misuse any terminology
        The direct line from cue ball to BOB is NOT the same as the line of aim required for the cue ball to contact the object ball necessary to pot the ball.

As you can appreciate, the difference between the blue and yellow line will become greater as the angle become wider (cue ball to the left); and less so as the angle lessens (cue ball to the right), the two lines of aim or the same ONLY when the line of shot is a straight line from cue ball to pocket
        Last edited by DeanH; 20th June 2019, 02:05 PM.
        Up the TSF!

Comment

Theres a aiming aid that can help with this

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
            I think this is what is being described.
            Excuse if I misuse any terminology
            The direct line from cue ball to BOB is NOT the same as the line of aim required for the cue ball to contact the object ball necessary to pot the ball.

As you can appreciate, the difference between the blue and yellow line will become greater as the angle become wider (cue ball to the left); and less so as the angle lessens (cue ball to the right), the two lines of aim or the same ONLY when the line of shot is a straight line from cue ball to pocket
            Thanks Dean. Yes, Just like that !

Comment

Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
              I've been struggling with this concept for years. what i understand is he means that when he is aiming he isn't aiming at a spot on the OB. he picks a point on the object ball while standing behind the cueball, and then visualizes the path the cueball would take to send the white to this point.so in effect he is choosing an imaginary line through the middle of the white. and this is the line you drop on to. now how you find this line is another question. in most cases its trial and error. by practicing over and over you get to remember from the angle of the shot where this line is.
              The line is not from the middle of the cue ball to the contact point on the object ball or to a point outside of the object ball altogether, the line is from the cue ball to the object ball. You should be looking from the cue ball to the object ball and aiming is done as if the line of aim is as wide as the cue ball not the tip of the cue.
              Somewhere across that 2 & 1/16 inch wide line of aim is the contact point on the object ball, focus on that and address tip to centre cue ball and if you've gotten the butt on the line as well by the right feet placement and you cue straight............................
              Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
              but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Working...
              X