Screwing back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screwing back

Whilst I am now much better at screwing back, I can't seem to get the cue ball to come back more than 2 feet. I have been watching the latest tournament on Sky today and have noticed where the players address the ball when screwing back and, I notice that they seem to address it much higher than I do. When I am doing my feathers, my cue tip is literally touching the cloth, you could just about get a piece of paper between my tip and the cloth. Would I get more action on the ball if I play it slightly higher?

possibly, but to me letting the butt-hand really relax and let the cue really go through the cue-ball gets the results of a good screw

:wink:
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

You’re always going to get more screw back on the telly tables with their superfine cloths. No reason of course why you shouldn’t be able to get more than 2 feet even on club cloths. It’s all in the technique. When I’m advising people I always say “all the way back to the V”. That means bringing the cue the full x inches back to the V of your bridge then accelerating forwards with maximum follow through. For X substitute how many inches thru bridge is normal for you.
      Thats my comments Bluenose for what they’re worth but like you I struggle with screwback shots. Knowing how to do it and actually doing it are two different things. Good luck.

Comment

Originally Posted by Nifty50 View Post
        You’re always going to get more screw back on the telly tables with their superfine cloths. No reason of course why you shouldn’t be able to get more than 2 feet even on club cloths. It’s all in the technique. When I’m advising people I always say “all the way back to the V”. That means bringing the cue the full x inches back to the V of your bridge then accelerating forwards with maximum follow through. For X substitute how many inches thru bridge is normal for you.
        Thats my comments Bluenose for what they’re worth but like you I struggle with screwback shots. Knowing how to do it and actually doing it are two different things. Good luck.
        I like both your comments, fully back to "v" and maximum follow through and butt hand totally relaxed at the same time.

I was talking to a club member the other day and his arm looked so tense. I told him to make the whole arm loose as if the cue would fall out of his hand and he then lost all the tension and actually managed to get through the cue ball without jabbing and get a decent screw back.

Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
        Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
        Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

I do have a very relaxed grip in my game, very much like Mark Allen so that bit is pretty good. I'm at the club tomorrow and so I will concentrate and see how far I am pushing through the cue ball.

Thanks chaps.

Comment

Is it not like putting side on the cueball , I.e you don’t have it to hit at at it’s extreme edge to get the maximum reaction .
            Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Obviously it goes without saying (but I will), you need a reasonable tip with some grip.

Comment

Originally Posted by bluenose1940 View Post
                Whilst I am now much better at screwing back, I can't seem to get the cue ball to come back more than 2 feet. I have been watching the latest tournament on Sky today and have noticed where the players address the ball when screwing back and, I notice that they seem to address it much higher than I do. When I am doing my feathers, my cue tip is literally touching the cloth, you could just about get a piece of paper between my tip and the cloth. Would I get more action on the ball if I play it slightly higher?
                It's easier on the tv tables with super fine cloths, but you should be getting a bit more than two feet, depending of course how far away the cue ball is from the object ball.
                Alex Higgins had a short cue action but managed good screwback by using the looped bridge, Joe Davis also. The looped bridge keeps the cue low as the index finger looped over the top of the cue prevents it from rising on the strike, which is a problem for many who can't screw back very well as they strike higher than they address without realising it, subconscious fear of miscueing.
                It takes practise to get the looped bridge just right but it's a very effective method, but you have to trust in your aiming technique as you can't sight all the way down the cue to the cue ball with the looped finger in the way.

Try that TS Long BA tip.
                Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

...When I am doing my feathers, my cue tip is literally touching the cloth, you could just about get a piece of paper between my tip and the cloth. Would I get more action on the ball if I play it slightly higher?
                  You are almost certainly not hitting the cueball where you are addressing it during your feathers (if you were, you would be miscuing all the time). Try concentrating on keeping absolutely still on the delivery stroke and see if that helps.

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                    Obviously it goes without saying (but I will), you need a reasonable tip with some grip.
                    I'm using a Century G3 tip at the moment.

Comment

I'm using a Century G3 tip at the moment.
                      The G3 is fine for screwing the ball as used by lots of pro's. If I can screw with it then you should be fine with a decent technique.

Comment

If you hit the cue ball in the right place, and hit it hard enough for the spin to remain on the white until it hits the object ball, it will come back. It's not magic. The keys: hit the right place, hit hard enough, hit through the contact between tip and cueball.

That's it.

Consistently judging the correct amount of backspin is an entirely different ballgame. That needs a lot of practice, and acclimatising to table conditions.

Comment

I am getting better at this. getting the cue ball to come back 4 feet plus now. Thanks again chaps.

Comment

I am getting better at this. getting the cue ball to come back 4 feet plus now. Thanks again chaps.
                            Any advice to pass on? What worked? What didn't work? Top tip for us amateurs.

Comment

Originally Posted by Nifty50 View Post

Any advice to pass on? What worked? What didn't work? Top tip for us amateurs.
                              Yes I think that what cracked it for me was the fact that I totally eliminated any jabbing action. When I am playing my shots now, I try to think in my head 'smooooooooth'. In effect I try to stroke the ball as opposed to hitting it and, I also imagine that I am trying to get through the cue ball and touch the object ball with the tip of my cue.

Comment

Working...
                              X