Hello after long- seeking gameplay analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Sidd View Post

What happened to him? I do sincerely hope he is all right and would be back soon. Yes he did help me a lot no doubt- good kind man Terry. He told me in detail about the pre-shot routine when I literally had none. Also stance in terms of dropping down dead straight on the line as well as the fact that I really bothered him too much in terms with the grip- my psychological enemy- the grip. Too good I have finally gotten hold of these things. Hope TD gets well soon and is back here with us ready to help others !
    This means no twisting the body or turning the feet but sadly doesn't go into such detail, which is a problem with coaching jargon such as this. Watch the pros, they stand behind the shot to see the line of aim, step onto it and once the feet are planted they drop straight down without moving their feet.

We can all check how much of a difference this makes; when down in the stance look along the cue and turn the foot of the back leg on the ball of the foot so that the heel moves about two inches, the cue will move about half an inch off the line of aim, turn the foot on the heel so that the toes move and the cue remains on the line. Turning on the ball of the foot moves the body as well, turning on the heel of the foot turns the leg from the hip joint and the body stays still, so you can step into the shot, plant both feet and turn the back foot a tad ON THE HEEL ONLY for comfort and stay on the line but NEVER TURN ON THE BALL OF THE FOOT, which is what Sidd was doing.

Best not to turn at all but some comfort is needed for some of us so remember HEEL ONLY.
    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

fyi - I had a quick email chat with TD, he is a lot better and hoping to get back on here and also hoping to start playing again soon.
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
        fyi - I had a quick email chat with TD, he is a lot better and hoping to get back on here and also hoping to start playing again soon.
        This is good news. Glad that he'd be back soon and is back to health now. Good man TD
        "I am still endeavouring to meet someone funnier than my life" - Q. M. Sidd

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post

This means no twisting the body or turning the feet but sadly doesn't go into such detail, which is a problem with coaching jargon such as this. Watch the pros, they stand behind the shot to see the line of aim, step onto it and once the feet are planted they drop straight down without moving their feet.

We can all check how much of a difference this makes; when down in the stance look along the cue and turn the foot of the back leg on the ball of the foot so that the heel moves about two inches, the cue will move about half an inch off the line of aim, turn the foot on the heel so that the toes move and the cue remains on the line. Turning on the ball of the foot moves the body as well, turning on the heel of the foot turns the leg from the hip joint and the body stays still, so you can step into the shot, plant both feet and turn the back foot a tad ON THE HEEL ONLY for comfort and stay on the line but NEVER TURN ON THE BALL OF THE FOOT, which is what Sidd was doing.

Best not to turn at all but some comfort is needed for some of us so remember HEEL ONLY.
          I have been seeing the foot locked dead straight and have been having some discomfort but playing really well. But then again, I have played poor last two days again even though I kept the foot as I was when I played smooth. Anyway, it can be psychological as well... need more practice to find out.

So you mean to say that when I move in to the shot I can move the foot while going down on the heel if need be for comfort - that's a relief. This means that the heel should not move but can be stilted outwards raising the toe and putting it out for comfort?

Comment

MORE ON FOOT IN THE LINE OF THE SHOT

Also quite importantly - just recently saw this video. Nic does a video series where he breaks some myths.... He has done this video on pointing the foot in the direction of the shot myth buster please see the video and tell me what this all mean .... I am getting confused in my OCD brain as I did with the grip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dbySmIfeVk

I think Nic is making the exact same point that Steve has made, you can move on the heel a tiny bit for comfort but not on the toe...

Looking forward !
            Last edited by Sidd; 24 October 2019, 06:46 AM.

Comment

A coach once tried to get me to keep the back foot pointing along the line of the cue and I was in pain in minutes (having bad knees due to a bike accident years ago) - so never went back to him (and not recommended him to anyone )
              In my opinion, have the ball of the foot on the line of the shot but have the angle of the foot at a comfortable position that works for you.
              And don't move once in the shot position.
              Don't be like ROS grinding out a cigarette
              Last edited by DeanH; 25 October 2019, 08:15 AM.
              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Sidd View Post
                MORE ON FOOT IN THE LINE OF THE SHOT

Also quite importantly - just recently saw this video. Nic does a video series where he breaks some myths.... He has done this video on pointing the foot in the direction of the shot myth buster please see the video and tell me what this all mean .... I am getting confused in my OCD brain as I did with the grip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dbySmIfeVk

I think Nic is making the exact same point that Steve has made, you can move on the heel a tiny bit for comfort but not on the toe...

Looking forward !
                Nic didn't mention comfort at all, but you can see that with his back foot straight ahead there is tension in the back leg which leads to a lot of discomfort for many, especially those with a front foot well forward boxer stance (myself).
                IMO you stand behind the shot and see the line, step onto the line as your eyes guide your hand to put the cue on the line, you plant your feet in the correct position and then lower yourself down into the stance position. If you move your feet on the way down or when you are already down your body will move as well and there is a very big chance that you have turned your body and your cue arm off the line of aim rather than turned onto it.
                Best to step into the stance with the feet already in the comfort position instead of turning after they have been planted onto the floor, but if you do need to turn then turn only from the heel. There could be some who turn the foot after they have planted their feet and this turn takes them onto the line, and it's easy to check one way or the other by cueing along the baulk line and watching the cue in relation to the line as you get down.

As I've said before in my own personal case I find it's best to stand behind the shot before getting down with my body and feet already in the stance position and step into the stance from there ,after all it's the place where I best see the line with my own vision centre being left eye directly over the cue so no turning of the feet will be required at all and all should stay as I see it when stood up. You can't see the line of aim when down in the stance, you see the line when stood up behind the shot and move onto the line using your natural hand/eye co-ordination and focus on the contact point of the object ball in relation to the position of the cue ball as you get down to rifle sight along the cue.

I've experimented a lot with this over the past few months and this is where I've ended up and I'm playing quite well, not all the time but I've other issues that prevent that mainly due to concentration of remembering to find the contact point before I get down.
                As usual Sidd you are overthinking, take a little time to practise cueing along the baulkline, put some masking tape on the side rail lined up exactly with the baulkline and practise getting down so that the centre of the butt of the cue is exactly on the centre of the tape with the tip of the cue exactly on the baulkline. Do the foot movement as is natural to you, do it on the heel only, don't do it at all, get down already in the stance position like I do, find out which is best and stick to it.
                Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post

Nic didn't mention comfort at all, but you can see that with his back foot straight ahead there is tension in the back leg which leads to a lot of discomfort for many, especially those with a front foot well forward boxer stance (myself).
                  IMO you stand behind the shot and see the line, step onto the line as your eyes guide your hand to put the cue on the line, you plant your feet in the correct position and then lower yourself down into the stance position. If you move your feet on the way down or when you are already down your body will move as well and there is a very big chance that you have turned your body and your cue arm off the line of aim rather than turned onto it.
                  Best to step into the stance with the feet already in the comfort position instead of turning after they have been planted onto the floor, but if you do need to turn then turn only from the heel. There could be some who turn the foot after they have planted their feet and this turn takes them onto the line, and it's easy to check one way or the other by cueing along the baulk line and watching the cue in relation to the line as you get down.

As I've said before in my own personal case I find it's best to stand behind the shot before getting down with my body and feet already in the stance position and step into the stance from there ,after all it's the place where I best see the line with my own vision centre being left eye directly over the cue so no turning of the feet will be required at all and all should stay as I see it when stood up. You can't see the line of aim when down in the stance, you see the line when stood up behind the shot and move onto the line using your natural hand/eye co-ordination and focus on the contact point of the object ball in relation to the position of the cue ball as you get down to rifle sight along the cue.

I've experimented a lot with this over the past few months and this is where I've ended up and I'm playing quite well, not all the time but I've other issues that prevent that mainly due to concentration of remembering to find the contact point before I get down.
                  As usual Sidd you are overthinking, take a little time to practise cueing along the baulkline, put some masking tape on the side rail lined up exactly with the baulkline and practise getting down so that the centre of the butt of the cue is exactly on the centre of the tape with the tip of the cue exactly on the baulkline. Do the foot movement as is natural to you, do it on the heel only, don't do it at all, get down already in the stance position like I do, find out which is best and stick to it.
                  Many thanks !!! Will give it a go today and see

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                    A coach once tried to get me to keep the back foot pointing along the line of the cue and I was in pain in minutes (having bad knees due to a bike accident years ago) - so never went back to him (and not recommended him to anyone )
                    In my opinion, have the ball of the foot on the line of the shot but have the angle of the foot at a comfortable position that works for you.
                    And don't move once in the shot position.
                    Don't be like ROS grinding out a cigarette
                    Different people, different fixes thanks a lot for sharing...
                    Last edited by DeanH; 25 October 2019, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X