Confidence - Concentration - Thoughts: mental side of the game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post

Very true and what a great book by the way...
    For me it tends to be just clearing all the clutter from my mind, fell out with the mrs two weeks ago and my game's gone to S**t, now things are ok again it'll be interesting to see how i play the next two nights with nothing to worry about!
    Other factors, stressing about work, money, family etc do play their part and prevent us from getting into the zone. Other people simply aren't good enough to get into the zone, if you can't pot more than 2/3 balls in a row I don't think the zone is a destination you'll find yourself in.
    I think the zone is a place that players of a certain ability can locate sporadically. It feels incredible to be there, a month or so ago I went for a knock and had exactly 100 first frame, followed by a 60 odd and 50 odd, the zone was great for those 3 frames but impossible to get back into after i'd fallen out of it!
    When you look at the pros they always look like they are in the zone. If asked, I wonder how often they think they are there?
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post

When you look at the pros they always look like they are in the zone. If asked, I wonder how often they think they are there?
      Interesting ... they look like that but they aren't always in the zone and hence miss on 50-60-70 but when in the zone they start from a difficult red and end up clearing with a 100 plus break.
      "I am still endeavouring to meet someone funnier than my life" - Q. M. Sidd

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
        I love this thread, great to see examples from other cueists.
        I think the zone for me tends to happen when i've prepared well. This may sound bizarre but most of my matches begin at 7:30/8pm. My routine is to get in from work approx 5:30, have a light bite to eat, bath, then get to snooker for 7. Loosen the arm if a tables available (this doesn't really matter to me on match nights though).
        I find the correct prep focuses the mind.

The best time i've been in the zone was my local final against Pottr, better than me in many ways but when i'm on it I fancy mixing it with anybody. On that night I won 3-1 and I think I missed 3/4 balls in the whole match and had a 77 to win the final frame. I didn't even know who else was in the room and was so focused. Jack (Pottr) won't know this or appreciate it but I won the first frame but he hit back to make it 1-1 with a 50 odd break. I felt like the match was being taken out of my control having stamped some authority on it in the first frame so after frame two I nipped to the loo, washed my hands and re-set my mindset before playing the rest of the match on my terms, at my own pace. Honestly the best i've ever felt in a match and i've taken frames off seasoned pros.
        This is so so true. I also get off from work and if nothing pressing is happening at home I get to the club by 4:30 and can play till like 7 max. Nothing can guarantee a good performance after a long day at work. But we have to take it as that because snooker is my greatest stress buster as well. On weekends I love an afternoon session after dispensing all domestic responsibilities I shower and shave and get on in my snooker clothes and shoes and go to the club ... obviously I ply better and even if I don't I at least feel like a better player in bits when I focus properly.

But then again this is a crazy game, on some days I am tired and don't have a good feel but still I play good. What gets you there is of course ease of mind relaxed nerves and all that but still it sometimes happens and sometimes it doesn't ... it comes naturally on its own for us amateurs.... for the pros they put in so much practice that they can make frame winning 70s even without being in the zone... whereas we have to be in the zone for a mere 50 odd
        "I am still endeavouring to meet someone funnier than my life" - Q. M. Sidd

Comment

Working...
        X