Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potting accuracy: Fast vs slow play

Hi snooker fans,

I’ve been seriously working on my game for well over a year now. I see the coach at my club fairly often and my game has improved, particularly my cue ball control.

However, I still miss loads of pots. The coach says it’s predominantly down to cueing, but I’m not so sure.

When I’ve got some momentum going and I’m playing fast (just getting down and playing the shot without much thought) I seem to have a significantly better pot success rate than when I really focus on my technique.

When I really focus on my technique (really looking at the line of the shot, making sure my stance is right, feathering, etc) I usually bloody miss – especially on pots with harder angles.

Why do you think this is? The coach is dead sure it’s my cueing, but when I really focus on the cueing I seem to miss more.

One theory I have is that when I’m playing quickly and not getting too distracted by my technique, I see the line of the shot better.

I’m constantly in a debate whether my misses are down to cueing or sighting.

Any thoughts?

From what I've seen and heard, a coach will probably always think errors are purely down to mechanics. On one hand they are right because if he's watching and you miss you may with no realisation yourself have cued poorly. What the coach doesn't see is what is going lon inside your head, I.e. Did a gremlin whisper "don't miss" or "don't twitch" etc etc.

When you miss did everything feel the same as the one you potted prior? Did you have the same pre shot routine and thoughts?

Sounds to to me the time has come for you to try "just playing" without thinking too much and hopefully your subconscious will automatically take care of the technical stuff that you have now learned.

Like learning to drive a car, the time comes usually after you've passed your test when you drive somewhere without really remembering how you got there.........
    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Hi Rvic11,
      My input would be that coaches tend to focus on the mechanics and think they can fix a player based on that. Truth is they can't.
      You do need an understanding of what your natural comfortable speed of play is.
      I can play incredibly quick and yes I won't miss but my cue ball will be more loose than if I take an extra second to pick my shot out properly.

My advice is to find a happy medium, talk to your coach about this. Rather than the mechanics of your stroke your coach should have some techniques to help you focus properly.
      Here are a few;
      1) Consistent number of feathers on each shot (I cut mine down to 3 some time ago)
      2) positive pre stroke thoughts - I simply tell myself "keep your head still/down", "cue through the ball". These are my 2 thoughts when struggling, don't overcomplicate the game.
      3) Just think "where do I want the cueball", when playing well this is my only thought. The line of shot actually doesn't enter my thought process, i'm just on it.
      "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
        From what I've seen and heard, a coach will probably always think errors are purely down to mechanics. On one hand they are right because if he's watching and you miss you may with no realisation yourself have cued poorly. What the coach doesn't see is what is going lon inside your head, I.e. Did a gremlin whisper "don't miss" or "don't twitch" etc etc.

When you miss did everything feel the same as the one you potted prior? Did you have the same pre shot routine and thoughts?

Sounds to to me the time has come for you to try "just playing" without thinking too much and hopefully your subconscious will automatically take care of the technical stuff that you have now learned.

Like learning to drive a car, the time comes usually after you've passed your test when you drive somewhere without really remembering how you got there.........
        The mind is a strange thing when we think there is a penalty involved on the shot e.g. Miss the shot, playing a better player, lose the match etc etc

If someone asks you to walk along a scaffolding board on the ground you do it with a clear head and confidence; place the same scaffolding board 60ft in the air between two trees and asked to walk along it now the pressure is probably immense as failure has a consequence.

A coach can get us to technically prepare as much as possible and be able to self diagnose on faults, I've not to date seen anyone go through the strong mind, get in the zone, take on all comers mentality (no slur on any coaches).

Fantastic coaches may get you to a world level but what if that's not enough when you meet someone of the same ability but mentally tougher, what do you do different and how do you make it happen; That's something I would like to read about.
        Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
        Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
        Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post

The mind is a strange thing when we think there is a penalty involved on the shot e.g. Miss the shot, playing a better player, lose the match etc etc

If someone asks you to walk along a scaffolding board on the ground you do it with a clear head and confidence; place the same scaffolding board 60ft in the air between two trees and asked to walk along it now the pressure is probably immense as failure has a consequence.

A coach can get us to technically prepare as much as possible and be able to self diagnose on faults, I've not to date seen anyone go through the strong mind, get in the zone, take on all comers mentality (no slur on any coaches).

Fantastic coaches may get you to a world level but what if that's not enough when you meet someone of the same ability but mentally tougher, what do you do different and how do you make it happen; That's something I would like to read about.
          Me too bud, have a feeling Terry Griffiths may be the closest bet for this, not read any thing though? For Golf, Bob Rotella was fairly interesting although for me a little obvious? Maybe we are all just wired so differently that the Hendry's and Nicklaus's of this world are just born with that killer winner instinct that compliments their talent? Ding obviously has huge talent and potential but maybe not the desire and killer instinct to match it...
          ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

The truth here is that there is no right or wrong.

You obviously need to have a good understanding of how to control the cue and get the cue delivered consistently on the line-of-aim each time, but this depends a lot on the player.

As Tom says above, he counts the number of feathers he does, as do some professionals (Murphy, Selby). But then on the other hand you have professionals that don't count: (Ronnie, Ding, Lisowski), so that's purely down to the individual.

Your coach should be able to identify the type of player you are. Whether you are more natural and don't require too much emphasis on feathers and the preparation for the shot.

It's always a happy balance with snooker. We require good consistent approach and discipline on each shot, but we also require a lot of touch a feel. That's the game ultimately! Potting the balls and controlling the cue-ball very accurately.

There is no one size fits all. That is what personal one-to-one coaching is all about.
            WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
            Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
            --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
              The truth here is that there is no right or wrong.

As Tom says above, he counts the number of feathers he does, as do some professionals (Murphy, Selby). But then on the other hand you have professionals that don't count: (Ronnie, Ding, Lisowski), so that's purely down to the individual.
              Just a point on this, when I altered my number of feathers for the next couple of sessions I counted until it became natural but now i'm back to not thinking about anything besides where I want the cueball and stroke thoughts such as "keep still", "cue through the ball". I actually couldn't tell you how many feathers I actually do but I think it's 3!
              "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post

Just a point on this, when I altered my number of feathers for the next couple of sessions I counted until it became natural but now i'm back to not thinking about anything besides where I want the cueball and stroke thoughts such as "keep still", "cue through the ball". I actually couldn't tell you how many feathers I actually do but I think it's 3!
                That's the same as me, Tom. I couldn't tell you how many feathers I do when I'm on the shot.

You're spot on though, at first, you have to consciously think of any change you make, and then after that it just becomes a new habit.
                WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

My belief is that's it's purely down to how quickly you focus on the contact point of the object ball when delivering the cue. Some can focus quite quickly, some need a little more time and for myself I focus quite quickly, despite wearing glasses, and if I delay the delivery stroke because of some coaching bollocks about needing more deliberation then I find my focus has moved elsewhere and my hand will follow my eye and I will miss.

The pre shot routine can be more deliberate to get the whole of the cue on the line of aim (stance) and find the contact point in the first place, but the actual shot making must suit your focus on the contact point on the object as you deliver the cue, that's your natural timing and if you play too fast, not enough time to focus, or too slow, eyes have moved elsewhere, then it's compromised.

I'm told I don't feather at all, I don't know myself as it's not something I deem important enought to scrutinise, some pros have lots, some have none, they all play great.
                  Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                  but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post

I think I feather 23 times.................I may have to reduce it to 20.
                    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by rvic11 View Post
                      Hi snooker fans,

I’ve been seriously working on my game for well over a year now. I see the coach at my club fairly often and my game has improved, particularly my cue ball control.

However, I still miss loads of pots. The coach says it’s predominantly down to cueing, but I’m not so sure.

When I’ve got some momentum going and I’m playing fast (just getting down and playing the shot without much thought) I seem to have a significantly better pot success rate than when I really focus on my technique.

When I really focus on my technique (really looking at the line of the shot, making sure my stance is right, feathering, etc) I usually bloody miss – especially on pots with harder angles.

Why do you think this is? The coach is dead sure it’s my cueing, but when I really focus on the cueing I seem to miss more.

One theory I have is that when I’m playing quickly and not getting too distracted by my technique, I see the line of the shot better.

I’m constantly in a debate whether my misses are down to cueing or sighting.

Any thoughts?
                      Perhaps there's a slight flaw in your technique (like a bit of unwanted side in conjunction with cueing across slightly) so when you're in the flow not thinking about it your aiming is different (to subconsciously correct the error), but when you concentrate on the shot, you have everything in line but the correct aiming point is no longer where you're used to? Just my thought given I have similar issues!
                      Last edited by kehall; 25 December 2019, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X