Back arm vertical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back arm vertical

Hi guys, I’ve been playing snooker for 5 years. Recently someone told me that the back arm should be vertical to the floor when the cue tip is close to the cueball. It allows you to get more backswing and follow through.

I’m just wondering is it that important cause I’m slightly behind the vertical and should I correct it?

No, just behind the vertical is correct as that allows the strike to be made before the upper arm can come into the stroke. Only taller players using standard length cues of around 57/58 inches have their cue arm vertical simply because they're tall and the cue isn't quite long enough for the correct position while keeping a decent length bridge to ball. These players are at the risk of the upper arm dropping before the strike, the wrong position is in front of the vertical as that forces the upper arm to drop into the stroke on the strike.
    Watch any of the top pros, the taller ones are vertical, the rest are just behind, none are in front.
    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Thanks Vmax, you've just answered what I tried to ask about holding the cue, your explanation is perfect Cheers.
      Snooker is a game of simple shots played to perfection, Joe Davies

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I am 5’7 and my cue is 57 inches.
        I tried to make it vertical after he told me but I just can’t.

Comment

Working...
        X