No announcement yet.

Finally managed to get my elbow and shoulder in correct alignment behind head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally managed to get my elbow and shoulder in correct alignment behind head

Hi All,

I've finally discovered something that has helped me enormously and it may be help to others, so I thought I would post it here.

I have been trying for weeks to get my shoulder and elbow directly in line behind my head, as have many others judging by the number of posts on the subject.

Having read through numerous posts and trying the advice given (by Terry Davidson especially but also many others) I was not having much success.

I tried all the usual suggestions :- twisting the hips, getting my left shoulder as low as possible, pushing my bum out, bending my left knee more, adjusting my feet position etc.but could not consistently get into the correct alignment until I happened to watch a video by Nic Barrow in which he briefly mentioned that as he gets down onto the shot, he tries to keep his elbow and shoulder close/touching his body.

I tried this and all of a sudden, I can get down into the address position with my elbow and shoulder in line behind my head - sometimes even too far in so that my elbow ends up pointing inwards.

Obviously you still need to do all of the other things as well - feet position knee bend etc.

I realised afterwards that I wasn't worrying about where my shoulder and elbow were before getting down on the shot and they were therefore in a different position each time causing inconsistencies.

It may be so obvious that most coaches don't even think to mention it ? and maybe comes naturally to others. I don't think it is something I have come across in the many posts I have read but it has been a revelation to me and hopefully will be some help to other people who are struggling.

Last edited by PaulH; 16 July 2020, 09:14 AM.
Working...
X