135 break for 13-year-old Shane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 135 break for 13-year-old Shane

SHANE Castle constructed a monster 135 break en route to the final of the Cuestars South of England Championship Tour first leg at Jesters Snooker Hall, Swindon.

And then he featured in what must be the shortest final in Cuestars history.

The 13-year-old from Cue T’s Snooker Lounge, Marchwood, recorded his 14th competitive century in the second frame of a 2-0 quarter-final win over Martin Wallace (Reading).

After seeing off clubmate Alex Dunkley 2-0 in the semis, Shane and his 19-year-old cousin Billy Castle agreed to share the £120 prize money and played best-of-five black-ball respots for the ranking points.

Billy, who won 3-2, said: “I can’t believe that I got that far because I was Ill with a headache and a cold. But I played decent.”

Earlier, Billy had survived the ‘group of death’ containing Neil Clayton (Woking), Paul Bunyard (Woking), Adam Nash (Churchills, Eastleigh) and Jordan Winbourne (Chandler’s Ford). Bunyard, despite winning three matches, failed to qualify for the knockout.

The under-the-weather Group B winner saw off Neil Carroll (Salisbury SC) 2-0 in the quarter-finals and Kane Grigg, who travelled down from the West Midlands, by the same score in the last-four.

In the previous round, Grigg had beaten Coventry’s Adam King 2-0. Dunkley, 23, had edged 15-year-old England international Jordan Winbourne (Chandler’s Ford SC) 3-2.

Players based at Cue T’s occupy the top three spots in the rankings.

The 19-strong field returned 23 breaks of 50 or more.

The second leg of the six Cuestars Championship Tour events is on Sunday, November 27, at The Crucible Sports & Social Club, Newbury.

BREAKS:

Shane Castle: 135, 81, 79, 72, 68.
    Jordan Winbourne: 98, 64.
    Billy Castle: 86, 69, 61, 61, 52, 50.
    Paul Bunyard: 85, 77, 77, 63, 54.
    Alex Dunkley: 72, 69.
    Kane Grigg: 64.
    Adam King: 60, 50.

ROUND-ROBIN GROUP POSITIONS:

GROUP A: 1st, Kane Grigg (Landywood SC, West Midlands); 2nd, Martin Wallace (Colours, Reading); 3rd, Lewis Miles (Jesters, Swindon); 4th, Kevin Ward (Hassocks Mens Club, West Sussex).

GROUP B: 1st, Billy Castle (Cue T’s, Marchwood); 2nd, Jordan Winbourne (Chandler’s Ford SC); 3rd, Paul Bunyard (Woking SC); 4th, Neil Clayton (Woking SC); 5th, Adam Nash (Churchills, Eastleigh).

GROUP C: 1st, Alex Dunkley (Cue T’s, Marchwood); 2nd, Neil Carroll (Salisbury SC); 3rd, Vince Elphick (Hassocks Mens Club, West Sussex); 4th, Dominic Holmes (Sovereign SC, Farnborough); 5th, Joshua Lee (Jesters, Swindon).

GROUP D: 1st, Shane Castle (Cue T’s, Marchwood); 2nd, Adam King (The New Aches SC, Coventry); 3rd, Chris Richards (Roath Labour Club, Cardiff); 4th, James Facey (Roath Labour Club, Cardiff); 5th, Steve Barton (The New Aches SC, Coventry).

KNOCKOUT:

QUARTER-FINALS (8 points): Grigg beat King 2-0, Billy Castle beat Carroll 2-0, Dunkley beat Winbourne 3-2, Shane Castle beat Martin Wallace 2-0.

SEMI-FINALS (12 points, £20): Billy Castle beat Grigg 2-0, Shane Castle beat Dunkley 2-0.

FINAL (25/18 points, £80/£40): Billy Castle beat Shane Castle 3-2.

Tim Dunkley (World Snooker coach)
    http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

Good going that!

Maybe a name or two to look out for in the future!!
    One day I'll make a century, I've knocked in a 51!

Comment

Working...
    X