Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi All Mike here been reading some of the posts on here and have learned alot in a short space of time and thought I should join.

Always wanted a snooker table and was fortunate to pick up a lovely 10ft slate bed for a good price.
    had a wooden summer house built in the garden and thought this is an opportunity I am not going to miss.

I've had a great time learning to play and love it.

Learning the table up keep has been great and who knew ironing could be so much fun.

I have encountered my first problem which is one side of the table is 5mm lower so the fitter put shims underneath 3 of the legs on 1 side.
    with the building being wooden on a concrete base this has caused a bit of a roll towards one cushion after 5 months of use.
    The cloth was 2nd hand so now I have an opportunity to get a new cloth and get a fitter to level the table again.

My question would be fellas is there a better cloth for a table in a wooden summer house / shed.

I have a dehumidifier in there but enjoy it so much I want to buy the right cloth for the surroundings if such a thing exists.

Has anyone had any dealings with a table in a wooden shed?.

Any advice is gratefully received cheers.

Welcome Mike!

To answer your cloth question. I remember watching an interview on Facebook not so long ago with the lady who runs Hainsworth. Apparently their cloths are designed specifically to work better in cold, damp or even more humid buildings? So I would maybe contact them to see which version they would recommend for your setup.

Have you considered adding under table heating? This might also help keep the slate & cloth dry, I know it works a treat on my table all year round but I have the Strachan 6811 29oz Tournament cloth.

Hope that helps a little.
    Steve

Comment

Hi Steve,

I didnt even know you could get under table heating.
      I've only had a table about 6 months.
      the shed is lovely and dry but I think it will get cold in the winter and as ill get it re levelled it's the perfect time for a new cloth and I just want to make sure I get a decent cloth put on it.
      it has a Strachan cloth on it at present(not sure which type) but it was the previous owner who put it on and his table fitter assembled it and put the cloth back on.​​
      thanks for replying Steve appreciate it.

Comment

Hi Mike,

I am also new on this site. Nice to "meet" you. Sorry, I do not have an answer to your question, but your set up sounds
        so nice that I wanted to ask you about it. Is your summer house made just for your table? I'd love to see some photos of
        it. I envy that you have a ten-foot table. I have a little table at home myself, but I've always felt that you need at least a
        ten-foot table to truly have realistic play in snooker.

By the way, does your table have steel-block cushions? If you have wood-block cushions, I would consider Steve's advice
        on table heating or some kind of temperature control, as I think the older type of cushions might be more susceptible to
        fluctuations in temperature.

Anyway, best of luck with your cloth.

Dan.

Comment

Hi Dan,
          Nice to meet you too mate.
          Yes I love it its something I have wanted all my life to have a decent table at home.
          My young son is now really interested and is learning so it's good for us to do together.
          The shed is made of 2nd hand decking on a concrete base,windows and patio doors 2nd hand and it's hardly cost much to be honest.
          we are painting the interior wood at present as some of that was 2nd hand and had magnolia paint on it.
          I'm an electrician so did the feed, lights and sockets myself
          it's a great place to pass the time.
          just got to get a good cloth for the environment or maybe get the table levelled by by expert every 6 months perhaps and hopefully have years of fun.
          not sure how to put pictures on here as it's asks for a url?

I am looking at table heaters as I had never heard of that before.

Comment

Take a look at my Project Snooker shed blog on this forum… I also have a timber frame shed. The blog takes the whole build from start to finish including refurbishing my table and adding DIY table heating… It should be straightforward for you being an electrician!

Comment

(if you haven't already) You guys need to check out Danger Steve snooker shed thread, it's an awesome journey and details a great many things with photos etc.

There are a few guys on here who have Thier own set ups at home and contributed to this thread an others.

Check it out. https://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/bo...t-snooker-shed
              ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Thanks for the Info fellas I will be reading that thread tonight thanks

Comment

Originally Posted by Danger Steve View Post
                  Take a look at my Project Snooker shed blog on this forum… I also have a timber frame shed. The blog takes the whole build from start to finish including refurbishing my table and adding DIY table heating… It should be straightforward for you being an electrician!
                  Loved those photos. Really nice setup. That looks like a challenging table too What part of the UK do you live in?
                  I was born there and my mom moved back last year. It's such a beautiful country and I hope to get back there again
                  one day.

Cheers from Canada.

Dan.

Comment

Steve love the pictures of your build from start to finish looks great mate well done.
                    does the under table heating make a big difference.
                    my biggest problem was a family member did the concrete base and it slopes 5mm so one side of the table the fitter put shims under the 3 legs.
                    these must of compressed and now I have a slight movement towards the cushion all the way along the table.

I've always fancied having a go at putting a cloth on but I'd be too scared incase i ruin it lol.

Another thing how did you upload pictures?

Cheers

Mike

Comment

Originally Posted by Mikky321 View Post
                      Mike
                      here you go, looking forward to seeing your photos

How to add images to your TSF posts
                      You can use a free image-sharing site such as ImgBB, without registering (you can register for free), to upload your images, you may have to do the “not a robot” checks quickly.
                      ImgBB.com
                      Click on "Start Uploading"
                      Browse to the file and select it, click Open
                      Auto delete image - leave as "Don't autodelete".
                      Click "Upload".
                      Change "Embed Codes" to "BBCode full linked".
                      Hover over the code in the box, a "COPY" will appear, click this.
                      Go to your TSF post and paste.
                      You can repeat for multiple images in a single post.
                      There are other image sharing sites as well.

Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Mikky321 View Post
                        Steve love the pictures of your build from start to finish looks great mate well done.
                        does the under table heating make a big difference.
                        my biggest problem was a family member did the concrete base and it slopes 5mm so one side of the table the fitter put shims under the 3 legs.
                        these must of compressed and now I have a slight movement towards the cushion all the way along the table.

I've always fancied having a go at putting a cloth on but I'd be too scared incase i ruin it lol.

Cheers

Mike
                        5mm slope on a concrete floor is Ok, mine probably has that also, it’s difficult with a large area to get it millimetre perfect all over, that’s why table fitters have shims. The settlement will also be coming from the frame, check your leg bolts haven’t worked loose.

Yes the heating will make a difference in a shed environment, not just adding slate heating but the room heater also. In winter cover up your table with one or two thick duvets, doing this will prevent the cloth getting moisture into it and also help stop your cushion rubber from going hard prematurely. I combine this with keeping the slate heating set on about 22 degrees, I’ll then turn it up to 26 about 30 mins before I fancy a game.

There’s a guy called ‘easy snooker’ (I think) on EBay, he sells a couple of DVD’s on how to cloth a snooker table and cloth the cushions. Just practice a few times on the old cloth and you’ll be surprised how well you do! It’ll save you a lot of dosh over the years!

Comment

Hi Steve,
                          thanks for the info.
                          I have jacked up the table by each leg and used 1mm shims under each leg and its back to playing fine again.
                          I have emailed hainsworth regarding cloths for the environment, it has a Strachan on it at present which is fine I don't know which type but underneath it has one gold line around.Inside

Comment

Thanks for the picture info Dean I am trying it now

Comment

Insidethis is the inside,Still painting over the old wood.Inside

Comment

Working...
                              X