Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decent Non-slate pool table?

Hello guys,

Wondering if any of you could recommend a decent English standard size pool table that is a non slate, I’m hoping now it’s 2022 things have improved over the years as I’ve had so many and was left underwhelmed by them, or are non slate pool tables still made with complete beginners in mind and have poor cushions, pockets that can’t take power shots and little reaction on the cue ball lol wish I could commit to a slate table but I just don’t have the room for a permanent table in my living room (only room that is big enough)

Want to only go to snooker halls for snooker from now on and play pool at home

Price range under £250 preferably

Thanks for any responses/suggestions

You're really going to struggle to find anything decent in that price range. I've had the displeasure of playing on a few non-slate tables and it was not much fun at all. You'd be better off saving for a decent dining room/pool table, it's a lot more money, but it'll be worth it in the long run.

Something like this for example:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134010935...wAAOSwjrlh-Cfk

Best of luck.

-
    Last edited by PatBlock; 1 February 2022, 09:47 PM.
    The fast and the furious,
    The slow and labourious,
    All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

Hmmmm.....that’s a decent suggestion to be fair being somewhat portable, might explore around similar tables

just hoped by now manufacturers would have thought of a different playing surface than mdf wood that is slightly better, will see what I can find on eBay 👍🏻 won’t be handing anymore money over to Argos for a table anytime soon haha

thanks pal

Comment

If you are determined to go down the non-slate route, then go for something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133818733...3ABFBMouTtv9df

I'm not endorsing this particular one, just saying this type (as opposed to the Argos type), whilst still mdf at least has a proper pocket cut, cushions and top. It won't play like slate, but its the closest you'll find for and mdf table (I used to have a similar one, years ago).

I think you'll struggle to find one for under

Comment

Thanks vjmehra for the tip, I suppose something like that would do as the cushions and pockets won’t be an issue👍🏻

Comment

Something weird keeps happening to posts on this thread, they keep getting cut off randomly mid-sentence!

If this works...I was just trying to say that if possible the type of table I posted above is preferable to the Argos type as those typically have smaller 38mm balls (sometimes 48mm) and the pocket cuts are all wrong (aside from the dead cushions etc.), as a rough guide though I sold mine about 15 years ago (very similar to that eBay link) for approx.

Comment

Originally Posted by vjmehra View Post
              Something weird keeps happening to posts on this thread, they keep getting cut off randomly mid-sentence!

If this works...I was just trying to say that if possible the type of table I posted above is preferable to the Argos type as those typically have smaller 38mm balls (sometimes 48mm) and the pocket cuts are all wrong (aside from the dead cushions etc.), as a rough guide though I sold mine about 15 years ago (very similar to that eBay link) for approx.
              Its normally when you try and use the pound sign VJ, just post a number and GBP instead mate.
              ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post

Its normally when you try and use the pound sign VJ, just post a number and GBP instead mate.
                Ah, cool, what I was trying to say was that I sold mine for GBP 350ish about 15 years ago, so it will be tricky to get a decent non-slate table for (at a guess) sub GBP 500 these days.

Of course, if at all possible, it is far better to go for a slate bed dining table, but if not then definitely stay away from the Argos type tables.

Comment

Working...
                X