Century Break Mental Block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Century Break Mental Block

Does anyone have any suggestions. I stopped playing snooker in 2002 and recently returned to the game. At that time I had had a 70 break in tournament and a 93 practising with someone and a 140 break in solo practise (which dosen't of course count). I am 46 and have returned with the objective to knock in a century break. In the past year I have had numerous 70+ breaks including an 84 and hit regular 40-50 breaks. However, I have a mental block when it comes to hitting centuries. Any advice would be welcome :-)

Originally Posted by leonkush View Post
    Does anyone have any suggestions. I stopped playing snooker in 2002 and recently returned to the game. At that time I had had a 70 break in tournament and a 93 practising with someone and a 140 break in solo practise (which dosen't of course count). I am 46 and have returned with the objective to knock in a century break. In the past year I have had numerous 70+ breaks including an 84 and hit regular 40-50 breaks. However, I have a mental block when it comes to hitting centuries. Any advice would be welcome :-)
    Hi mate ,
    Welcome to the forum.

Firstly I would say the main thing to do is to stop focusing on hitting a ton especially if you’ve never had one before. This will only lead to disappointment when you break down on 70 or 50 or whatever when really you should be seeing that as an improvement after returning to the game after a long break. If you concentrate on improving consistency in your break building then the higher breaks will naturally improve .
    In your solo practice I would focus more on break building with open play as well as line ups routines . Most peoples first ton normally come from clearing up the table from 10 or 11 reds . Most break down on the last few reds or colours which happens to be the time of the match when games or also lost or won ( at our level ).
    So it makes sense to practice regularly the last six reds and colours. When I clear that in a session I add another red and so on to make it harder.
    I would alternate that with starting with 10 reds with at least 4 in a small pack that you have to split to continue with the break .
    A good line up for break building is the Xmas Tree line up.

Once your able to clear those routines regularly in practice it will become easier in matches. I win a lot of games towards the end of frames with clearances due to practicing those routines including breaks up to tons 😉.

Last edited by Starsky; 2 March 2022, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Advice on this thread won't get better than that, good post Starsky.

Welcome to TSF Leonkush.
      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Thankyou Starsky I will work on those drills good advice. Cheers

Comment

Thanks for the advice as i to suffer from this. Would be nice to knock a ton in as it is a bit of ambition of mine.

Comment

Hi leonkush where are you located? I am in Shropshire and provided you're not too far away, I would be willing to organise a game sometime.
            I am like you. Century mad. I make them fairly regularly, but when I get to the stage of beating my highest break, I've already shutdown. As my subconscious aim as always been to hit triple figures. This has stopped me from reaching that next level of making multiple tons a session. So I can kind of relate.
            Anyway. Hope you're not too far away. Would also be good to play a new face.
            ​​​
            Cheap and Cheerful! 😄
            https://wpbsa.com/coaches/simon-seabridge/

Comment

Hi thank you for your reply, I am 14,874 km away from Shropshire :-) but thank you for the invite and i would take you up if i was nearby but I live in a small country town in Western Australia.

Comment

Originally Posted by leonkush View Post
                Hi thank you for your reply, I am 14,874 km away from Shropshire :-) but thank you for the invite and i would take you up if i was nearby but I live in a small country town in Western Australia.
                if you cover the costs and expenses I am sure inevermissblue would be there in a shake of a lambs tail!
                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                X