Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howdy from Hampshire, UK

Hello everyone,
    Chris from Hampshire here. Been on and off into Snooker since I was a child. I used to play in the lower leagues when I was in late teens/early twenties (a long time ago!) I love to watch the major tournaments and Worlds on TV. It's made me realise lately how much I miss playing the game, and how relaxing I used to find it. It seems really hard to find anybody I know, or locally, that would be interested in a few frames once a week or once a fortnight. I don't belong to a club and don't have a cue or anything, I wouldn't feel comfortable just going to a club on my own to try and knock a few balls in etc. I'm considering putting up a post on here for a friendly partner :-)) I haven't played for 20 years, I'll be dreadful, so a bit reluctant to. Anyway, looks a nice forum and plenty for me to read. :-)) Best wishes to all.

Hi Chris
    Your story is very common for snooker players/fans
    if you are north Hampshire I am not too far (drive).
    But I have found in many clubs that someone will be willing to play a newbie... and then once you get to know people you start playing the better nicer people
    I have walked into new places and it has not been as bad as I thought it would be
    Last edited by DeanH; 7 May 2022, 06:51 AM.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Oh and welcome to TSF

Comment

Hi Chris, I am also new and in similar situation to you. I would have partnered up but I am in Australia.
        I wish you the best with getting back into it

Comment

I moved to a new area and didn’t really have a problem strolling into a new club. At first the folk were a bit cliquey but it wasn’t long before someone offered me a game. I was then asked to join the league……and the rest is history lol. So I would say…..overcome your shyness….bite the bullet….and get into a club for a solo hit. Snooker players are generally a friendly lot. Remember there will be an element of shyness from the others in the club so they may not be confident asking a complete stranger for a game.
          I’m not naturally an outgoing person but I always try to nod hello to new faces in the club. If they turn up more than a couple of times I’m happy to approach them and suss them out as our league are desperate for more players.
          Good luck.
          Last edited by Nifty50; 7 May 2022, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
            Hi Chris
            Your story is very common for snooker players/fans
            if you are north Hampshire I am not too far (drive).
            But I have found in many clubs that someone will be willing to play a newbie... and then once you get to know people you start playing the better nicer people
            I have walked into new places and it has not been as bad as I thought it would be
            Hello Dean. Many thanks for your reply. I would drive to Basingstoke, I'm a bit of an anxious driver. I don't know what clubs are around there though. I'll be having a think about joining the nearest club to me and going in there during the day to see how I get on potting a few balls. I'm not bothered about playing in leagues again etc, just would like some quiet frames with a regular partner, I can do daytimes during the week at the moment. I'm sure you're right about taking the plunge, it's just I have a bit of social anxiety with that sort of thing.
            My best, Chris
            Last edited by CL73; 4 June 2022, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Oh and welcome to TSF
              Thank-you for the warm welcome, much appreciated.

My best,
              Chris.

Comment

Originally Posted by Aus_Arx View Post
                Hi Chris, I am also new and in similar situation to you. I would have partnered up but I am in Australia.
                I wish you the best with getting back into it
                Hey! G'day :-)

Thanks for your reply. Sorry to read you got the same problem. Frustrating at times isn't it. Yes a 27 hour each way plane trip might be a bit too much for us lol It would show serious dedication though!
                Thanks, and I hope you get something sorted there too buddy. Let me know how it goes. Cheers!

My best,
                Chris.

Comment

Originally Posted by CL73 View Post

Hello Dean. Many thanks for your reply. I'm in Southampton :-(( I would drive to Basingstoke however, I'm a bit of an anxious driver. I don't know what clubs are around there though. I'll be having a think about joining the nearest club to me and going in there during the day to see how I get on potting a few balls. I'm not bothered about playing in leagues again etc, just would like some quiet frames with a regular partner, I can do daytimes during the week at the moment. I'm sure you're right about taking the plunge, it's just I have a bit of social anxiety with that sort of thing.
                  My best, Chris.
                  oh nuts, I am further than Basingstoke

I don't know Southampton at all, but I have visited the Chandler's Ford Snooker Club [https://www.cfordsnooker.co.uk/] Eastleigh way, where one of TSF resident coaches works

Let us know how you get on

Comment

Originally Posted by Nifty50 View Post
                    I moved to a new area and didn’t really have a problem strolling into a new club. At first the folk were a bit cliquey but it wasn’t long before someone offered me a game. I was then asked to join the league……and the rest is history lol. So I would say…..overcome your shyness….bite the bullet….and get into a club for a solo hit. Snooker players are generally a friendly lot. Remember there will be an element of shyness from the others in the club so they may not be confident asking a complete stranger for a game.
                    I’m not naturally an outgoing person but I always try to nod hello to new faces in the club. If they turn up more than a couple of times I’m happy to approach them and suss them out as our league are desperate for more players.
                    Good luck.
                    Hi Nifty,

Thanks for your reply. I got the impression when I played years ago that generally people go to Snooker club's in pairs, or four's, but like you say taking the plunge and going for it could open more possibilities. The club I am thinking of trying do a daytime deal and I'm guessing it might be quiet during the day as well, so would take the pressure off for me initially, to get my confidence up for going at 'peak' times. Thanks for your advice and I'll let you know how it goes. Cheers.

My best,
                    Chris.

Comment

oh nuts, I am further than Basingstoke

I don't know Southampton at all, but I have visited the Chandler's Ford Snooker Club [https://www.cfordsnooker.co.uk/] Eastleigh way, where one of TSF resident coaches works

Let us know how you get on
                      Hi Dean,

Argh dam :-(( Yes, that is the club I am thinking of joining. It is the best one by far. Yes Tim Dunkley is based there, I had a session with him years ago there. Many thanks.

My best,
                      Chris.

Comment

Originally Posted by CL73 View Post

Hi Dean,

Argh dam :-(( Yes, that is the club I am thinking of joining. It is the best one by far. Yes Tim Dunkley is based there, I had a session with him years ago there. Many thanks.

My best,
                        Chris.
                        yep that is him (snookerdad on TSF )
                        Say hi from me

Comment

yep that is him (snookerdad on TSF )
                          Say hi from me
                          If/when I end up there I certainly will :-))

Comment

Working...
                          X