Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello!! And some advice needed too.

Hello everyone.

I am Vinayak from India. I am currently 24 years of age. I have this great obsession with the game of Snooker and I'm looking forward to being an active part of this community. Usually, I find myself having no one to talk to, deeply, about this game I love so much. Hopefully, that problem will be solved now.

I have a question too. I have been playing this game for 8 years now. I can make century breaks in practice and 50s 60s in actual frames. As I have this great obsession and love towards the game, I have always been looking for a way to make a living with this sport only. I am good at other things too. Actually, I am far better at other things than I am at Snooker but the enjoyment, fulfillment and meaning this game provides is second to none.

Does anybody have any idea as to how I can make a standard living out of it? I have tried learnt almost every aspect that connects to this game: Table, technique, cues, balls, a snooker club, rules, cloth, mentality, etiquettes, history and other things that I cannot remember right now.

Welcome to TSF. The competition is cut throat. Very very very few make a decent living by playing snooker. I would recommend having a backup plan for financial stability.

Comment

Welcome to the forum ..

Get some coaching qualifications and become a coach .
      Given your current standard and time you have been playing , age etc the chances of you making a living from playing snooker competitively are slim….sorry.
      Going down the coaching route would be a better option . You don’t need to be a top player to make a good coach.

Best of luck
      Last edited by Starsky; 10 July 2022, 09:05 PM.

Comment

You would probably have to move to the Uk for a year and see how good you really were to give it a real go at the pro game the standard even at the bottom of the pool is very high .If your good at other things do that and have snooker as a hobby ,or do as Starsky says and become a coach .

Comment

Don't become a coach if you want to improve your own game, doing everything right by a manual and not advancing will make your head explode eventually.
          Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
          but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Thank you everyone for your inputs. They are all very helpful.

Mike, I don't think that I can play to the standards of the pro tour. It would be my wildest dream to reach there. I suppose it would be better if I kept it as a hobby and don't try to be too ambitious with it. I have already ruined a lot of my time over it.

Although, aren't there any other things I could do other than being a coach or a player, that are related to the game?

Comment

Originally Posted by curious_147 View Post
              Thank you everyone for your inputs. They are all very helpful.

Mike, I don't think that I can play to the standards of the pro tour. It would be my wildest dream to reach there. I suppose it would be better if I kept it as a hobby and don't try to be too ambitious with it. I have already ruined a lot of my time over it.

Although, aren't there any other things I could do other than being a coach or a player, that are related to the game?
              To make a living , not many . Maybe get involved in the day to day running of tournaments and the promotion of with the professional body within India ?.
              Refereeing doesn’t pay enough money as a solo career but could be supplemented with a second job.
              A better place to ask the question would be the governing body within your own country if you didn’t want to go down the coaching route ( why not though ?) .

Comment

You could try and and get a job with table fitting .

Comment

Originally Posted by Starsky View Post

To make a living , not many . Maybe get involved in the day to day running of tournaments and the promotion of with the professional body within India ?.
                  Refereeing doesn’t pay enough money as a solo career but could be supplemented with a second job.
                  A better place to ask the question would be the governing body within your own country if you didn’t want to go down the coaching route ( why not though ?) .
                  I'm not making any decisions just yet. I'm just exploring to see if anyone has a new idea that no has one thought of. I already tutor upcoming guys but the money off that can't even be used to buy peanuts. So I rather do it for free.

Comment

Originally Posted by mikee View Post
                    You could try and and get a job with table fitting .
                    Yeah very satisfying work. Often wondered if it’s the same guys who travel to all the venues. Good way to see the world…….or used to be pre covid.

Comment

Welcome, Vinayak! Glad to see a new member from the country where snooker originated! Maybe you can make money creating a vlog tying in its wonderful history to the modern day. Just a thought!

Comment

Working...
                      X