Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello + introduction

Hello Snooker Forum!

After lurking on and off for a couple of years, I thought I should probably formally join, in order to be able to ask some questions, and share my, ahem, wisdom!

Probably all you need to know is I started watching snooker in 1981 on TV with my grandpa in Ashton-under-Lyne, who himself played on Thursdays at the local Conservative club (despite not being a Tory or a drinker), and I distinctly remember, in that age of Reardon, Higgins, Griffiths and Thorburn, the arrival one day of this new ginger wonderkid from London.

I stopped watching in 1994 [?] after Jimmy White missed that black in the World Championship finals to Hendry, so missed the entire Williams/Stevens/Hunter/Lee/Murphy/Selby/Robertson era, until finally taking up the game myself in 2018.

FAVOURITE ALL-TIME PLAYERS:
    1. Reardon
    2. Davis
    3. White
    4. Stevens
    5. Johnson

FAVOURITE CURRENT PLAYERS
    1. Robertson
    2. Selby
    3. Maflin
    4. Lee (for the cue action)
    5. O'Sullivan

For a bit of fun, I curate the SnookerFromTheThatcherEra twitter account - big fan of some of the 1960s venues, such as Preston Guild Hall, Derby Assembly Rooms, Reading Hexagon, plus the Crucible, of course.

welcome to TSF SFTTE

maybe you have a typo but those venues are mostly 80s into 90s are they not, and not 60s?
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Er, I wasn't clear, but I meant built in the 1960s, used in the 1980s! Forgot to add the Wembley Conference Centre, too - some good sightlines, acoustics and comfy seating in those venues, as they were specifically built as theatres and conference centres. Thanks :>)

Comment

ah right, gotcha
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Drury Lane Theatre for Benson & Hedges Masters in the 1970’s was my introduction to live snooker. Spenser Rearden Miles etc.
          PS Welcome to TSF.

Comment

Working...
          X