Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snooker stance at address - help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snooker stance at address - help please!

Hi all... apologies if this is raised in the incorrect manner!
    I see so many people (pro's and amateurs) that are able to have their chin completely down on their cue, but also with their forehead raised so they get the best possible view all the down. I simply can't get my forehead raised to the same level that it's even vaguely close to the same as that, so the best I can do is have my head about 3 or so inches above the cue. I'm sure this isn't helping me to improve!
    I'd like to think that I'm in good shape and also as a keen golfer, that I'm not completely 'unsupple'. Any tips please? Overthinking its' value? or even worse - just give up! :-)
    Many thanks for any help

How tall are you ?
    I've noticed that several of the taller pros don't actually get right down in order to get their cue as parallel as possible to the table but instead get down into an acceptable position and then bring the cue to their chin. Bingham & Selby do this whereas others like Ronnie will bend both knees to get down low making it easier to raise the head while others like Judd take a very wide stance to get low. It's all relative to ones own physique and how to overcome it in relation to ones own vision centre, where you yourself see the line of aim and where you place the cue matters.
    Having your chin three inches above the cue isn't a bad thing, chin touching cue is merely to allow you to know that you're keeping your head still and you can do this without chin contact. What you're looking at is more important, as a golfer you might be looking at the cue ball because you look at the ball when playing golf, but in golf the ball is the target whereas in snooker the object ball is the target and the cue ball should be treated as part of the cue, the bullet in your gun and you should be looking at the object ball when you play the shot and not just the object ball but the part of the object ball you want to cue ball to contact in order to pot it.
    Last edited by vmax; 26 January 2023, 11:26 AM.
    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Hi Vmax
      That’s great feedback thank you !
      I’m 6ft
      wider stance then .. and bend the knees a bit more then!
      don’t get too hung up on it as it’s more important to keep my head still (which thinking about it - i quite possibly do!)
      focus on the object ball
      Again- many thanks!

Comment

Originally Posted by jwyatt1969 View Post
        Hi Vmax
        That’s great feedback thank you !
        I’m 6ft
        wider stance then .. and bend the knees a bit more then!
        don’t get too hung up on it as it’s more important to keep my head still (which thinking about it - i quite possibly do!)
        focus on the object ball
        Again- many thanks!
        one or the other, not both.
        Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
        but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Working...
        X