New member- need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member- need help!

I have played pool for well over 10 years, however I have just taken up snooker and I am having lessons. The point is after 3 or so months of lessons (I had to take a months break) I am still struggling to make even the simplest of shots. I just can't seem to get my potting angles and aiming spots right. Is there a possibility I am just not ever going to play good snooker?

I take my stance, I line up the shot, I feather, I follow through (though often with way too much pace) and (try) to stay down on the shot, however I seem to be constantly missing thick OR thin. Even if I get close to potting the balls rattle on the cushion and get thrown out again.

I have a practice routine playing a 3/4 ball shot off the black spot, then potting a red from a line up, then black etc, but I have never exceeded one black and a red before I have had to start over. I just cannot seem to get to grips with the potting angles and where to aim for what shot.

I can play pool so well and its maddening.

Practice, practice and more practice needed. Slowly but surely you will improve.

Comment

Originally Posted by JMTS2000 View Post

I can play pool so well and its maddening.
      Just try to remember when you couldn't play pool so well, what did you do to improve? Apply the same process here, they're similar games, but also very different. Play, practice, fail, learn, improve and repeat. Find a good coach, or helpful better player, look at what they do and try to learn.
      now the irony of this is, I'm dog crap at the game, retruning after a long time away and I struggle to pot 5 or 6 balls in a row, so in no way an expert, but I also know how to improve. If only I could be bothered to try 🤣🤣👍.

Comment

Use the backend of the table to create your pool table size playing area, yea it will be harder but remember potting a single black with cue ball near the cushion is equivalent to a full table middle ball shot to a corner pocket! Use that to help you overcome the size issue. Yes it's BIG, very very big compared to pool. 😉
        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Scratch the 3/4 ball for now. Concentrate on potting straight balls into the middle pocket off the blue spot. See where you need to be to make the shot. Analyse where the cue is after the shot and also where the object ball goes in the pocket. If you are hitting straight, it will drop in the centre of the pocket. If it is slightly to the left or right then you need to adjust. In theory, cue should be sitting in line with the middle of the pocket under you after delivery.

Once you have consistently potted a load of straight shots, adjust the angle slightly. Practice them for ages and work from there. Your brain needs to learn the angles. The best way to do this is to just repeating the same shot over and over. Once you have done this, then you can start mini line ups. In my opinion.

Comment

Before you get down, discipline yourself to stand behind the shot and allow your eyes to look at the cb, ob and pocket until you are happy you see the angle, see the shot. Do not get down until you feel ready.

A pool table is smaller, with the pocket (and the cushions that lead to the pocket) normally in sight for much longer. In snooker it is even more important to do most of your aiming while standing up. Furthermore, the white is a different size on a pool table and your subconscious needs to factor this in. Let it drink in the information it needs.

Don't think that you can pot from memory, when your memories are built using different equipment. You are remembering the wrong thing.
            Last edited by Siz; 11 May 2023, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X