Alex Higgins in today's game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alex Higgins in today's game

How do you think Alex Higgins in his prime would have fared in today's game? When I think he only made 83 century's in his entire career which is low by today's standards

Depends how you take that scenario John really. If you transport Alex from the eighties into today game, players, table conditions he wouldn't have a leg to stand on but if Alex was born in this Era and grew up on these conditions I think he still would be a great player maybe along the lines of a Luca Brecel.

I've thought the same about Steve Davis, people have said he wouldn't have stood a chance today but I don't agree. If they were born in the Era they would still have a great game. Bench marks keep getting reset and people never thought a 4 minute mile could be run.

It's all about setting the bar and seeing the level necessary to succeed imo.
    Last edited by Cue crafty; 14 January 2024, 04:13 PM.
    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

It's like asking if George Best would be a great player today after coming through Manchester United's academy. The answer to that would be no as all his natural talent that he learned himself in 50 a side football in the school playground and can't be taught wouldn't have fermented due to coaching. If Alex was 15 years old today he would have grown up watching snooker on tv, used TC balls from the get go, had been to a coach, might have had sidespin coached out of him, had a different cue action, stayed still on the shot, used a bespke Parris cue and had all the greats who went before him to learn from with the exception of himself.

Of course he might have gone his own way with the attitude to authority that he had but we'll never know.
      Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
      but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

He didn't do a lot in his own era, he would have done less in this one.
        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
          He didn't do a lot in his own era, he would have done less in this one.
          Ok, but not many won two worlds? Don't care what decade.
          ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Well he obviously had an interest in the game, if he got regular practice with Mark Allen somewhere up there in Ulster i'm sure he'd be a respectable pro nowadays, no reason to think not so.

Comment

Originally Posted by trains View Post
              Well he obviously had an interest in the game, if he got regular practice with Mark Allen somewhere up there in Ulster i'm sure he'd be a respectable pro nowadays, no reason to think not so.
              I doubt that would of happened, have a watch of Allen on Hendry's youtube channels, not a hope in hell he would have done anything with Higgins, he was a complete dick to a young Allen.
              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Working...
              X