Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pause ?

Hi everyone,

is there any drill for pause at the backswing?
    iam able to pause during short range shots,
    but strugling to take the cue back slowly and
    pause while playing long pots, eg.screwback.

Let me know if you get a good suggestion that works. I've been trying to develop a rear pause for awhile now but I'm struggling with it

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

This is what works for me. (At least it makes sure I have a pause, and also seems to help the timing, position and the pot)
      At the start of the final backswing, I switch my eyes from the object ball to my cue. Halfway through/towards the end of the backswing, I switch my eyes back to the object ball.
      Because of my extreme old age (40) I have to then re-focus on the object ball at the rear pause. This seems to just give me the pause that I need, not only to refocus, but to keep the body from moving when the cue changes direction. I also reckon that switching focus suddenly like that helps me to keep my good eye on object ball, and stops my weaker eye from interfering with false feedback. Anyway, if I do it, I invariably time the shot well and pot it, so it could be worth a try.
      All I need now is someone who can explain to me why I don't do it every time
      Last edited by cantpotforshíte; 5 October 2009, 02:02 PM.

Comment

cpfs:

That's exactly what Steve Davis told me to do but he also said since I've been playing for so long without a rear pause that it would take me a very long time to get it ingrained and natural, likely 6 months.

Since I'm 64 I figured 6 months was too high a price to pay at this late stage although I'm working on a rear pause still and would love to have one as it seems to make me more determined on the shot delivery and also encourages me to bring the grip hand all the way through to the chest consistently

Terry
        Terry Davidson

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
          Let me know if you get a good suggestion that works. I've been trying to develop a rear pause for awhile now but I'm struggling with it

Terry
          Pause...

In snooker every shot could be a matter of Win or Lose,
          Being a strong believer in the benefits of visualization,
          I offer this image in the hope it might help!

=o)

Noel
          Last edited by noel; 22 March 2010, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Terry: Nice to know that Steve Davis has championed something about which I wasn't sure. Hopefully that knowledge will give me a reason to try it more studiously next time I play.
            I used to think it worked because it let me make adjustments down on the shot if I wasn't lined up right... which you and I know is very bad form.
            (To be honest I always thought that this was the only way I could play, until I read your own advice on here and tried out the eyes shut routine, to my absolute astonishment.)
            So my game is a bit all over the place as I'm such a recent (2 weeks) convert to this getting-lined-up-properly method. Only to be expected after 10 years of playing the game the wrong way. (and it was only two years ago that I found I had to use my left eye to aim). But I hope to post some more positive results on here soon ... in the mean time, thanks for all your advice.
            Last edited by cantpotforshíte; 5 October 2009, 02:18 PM.

Comment

That excellently illustrative post of Noel's has reminded me of another little trick that we can use to give us a rear pause. When we visualise ourselves playing the whole shot before we get down ... just make sure that it is visualised WITH the pause. It works.
              All you have to do now is to remember to visualise it that way.. anybody got a drill for that?

Comment

Noel:

To shoot that apple off his son's head I figure William wouldn't have used a machine-made cue but rather would have gone for the best custom-made he could find.

But, point taken. Does this visualization work for you?

Terry
                Terry Davidson

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                  Noel:

To shoot that apple off his son's head I figure William wouldn't have used a machine-made cue but rather would have gone for the best custom-made he could find.

But, point taken. Does this visualization work for you?

Terry
                  Yes. *

=o)

Noel

* ... final feather. lock aim. draw back slowly. steady. relaxed pause. release stroke straight and true.

Comment

And don't breathe in or out

Terry
                    Terry Davidson

Comment

Working...
                    X