Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• return to snooker after 15 years

Hi,
    a friend of mine suggested my return to playing snooker after 15 years away from the sport so i dug out my old cue that had sat in the loft all that time and gave it a go.
    My first few games were obviously low standard and very frustrating but after a few weeks things started coming back so much so that i was asked to play for my local club in the local league. i then realised it was time for a new cue as this old beast of mine had more bends than the thames but after 15 years in a loft and the different temperatures it had been through i couldnt have expected much better.
    Living london i thought i would take a trip down to edgware and pop into thurstons imagine my surprise that the shop was long gone and even worse apart from parris cues there was very little option for a new cue locally.
    So trawling through the net i came upon this site and promptly joined. the wealth of information was astounding and after checking a few posts i duly ordered a cue from craftsman cues. The cue was from the classic range as i couldnt afford to wait too long as my league debut was imminent . i gave them a shortlist of the 3 different cue styles i liked and the spec i wanted. craftsman rang me back in 15 minutes with the options they had nearest to my ideal cue and i duly ordered a legend cue with 9.7 tip and a telescopic extesion. the cue arrived within 2 days and for the money is superb. one thing puzzles me though? the extension supplied screws to the 3/4 joint of the shaft and not the butt joint ? when i queried this with craftsman they said that they could make me an extension to fit but would not then guarantee the cue?? as it would be problematic and weak on that joint. i am therefore wondering why they do not use the same joint as their standard cue range
    across the board or is it a case of inferior quality material used in the classic range. any one help with this as its puzzling me why they use 2 different joints for cues made by the same company.
    regards
    Mart

I think craftsman classic series is made abroad in Thailand or something and finished in Leeds and the standard range is entirely made on the premises in Leeds.

I wouldn't worry about it too much tbh.
    sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by mart-j View Post
      Hi,
      a friend of mine suggested my return to playing snooker after 15 years away from the sport so i dug out my old cue that had sat in the loft all that time and gave it a go.

This my friend is the important part!
      Good on you for realizing the error of your ways before it was too late
      and best of luck with your come-back... it will be more than worth the frustration...
      The other part... your cue... ask ADR147 here... he can sort you I'm sure!

Cheers and WELCOME!

=o)

Noel

Comment

thanks guys,
        i must say this site is superb such a wealth of knowledge to be found just by clicking a few links.
        seems if ya look hard enough most things will be revealed
        Mart

Comment

Hello and welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your stay here.
          Dark side of the moon

Comment

cheers snookerfan looks like i will have great fun looking round the site
            Mart

Comment

Welcome to the forum , i,m a bit like you but only five years in the wilderness . I,m keen to get back on the table but undecided what cue to go for . Looked at craftsman aswell amongst others , might make my mind up one day , i,m just a ditherer cant make a decision .
              Hope u enjoy the forum

Comment

thanks hotpot,
                must say that apart from my own personal gripe about having to unscrew the butt instead of just screwing the extension in. the cue imo is very good value for money. i couldnt fault craftsman for their service either. whatever thyey said they would do the did and quickly and efficiently. very helpful and in fact we had settled on 1 a different cue to start with but they rang me back apologising that the cue when checked before despatch was found to be slightly under par and they were not prepared to send sub quality merchandise out. given that at this time they already had my money i was pleasantly surprised as i'm sure you've come across companies where once they have your money after sales service is severely lacking.
                so for me a good choice for a cue when you do decide to go for it.
                regards
                Mart

Comment

Yes Mart your comments on Craftsman have been echoed by many members here . From what i,ve read they seem excellent value for mone .That old saying springs to mind , some of the people can be wrong some of the tiime , but all the people cant be wrong all the time . Summit like that anyway .

Also looking at mastercraft , mw shark , and omin , i,ll decide oneday .

Neil

Comment

That reminds me of Lee Mack's joke:

My Dad said to me " Some of the people are wrong some of the time, all of the people are wrong all of the time but some of the people..." "I think you've cocked that up Dad" "Oh sod off. Your adopted anyway"
                    I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

Originally Posted by magicman View Post
                      That reminds me of Lee Mack's joke:

My Dad said to me " Some of the people are wrong some of the time, all of the people are wrong all of the time but some of the people..." "I think you've cocked that up Dad" "Oh sod off. Your adopted anyway"
                      That has made my day.
                      Dark side of the moon

Comment

Great to see you coming back after a 15 years lay off. I've been away from the game for more than 10 years as well and considering picking up the cue again.

Comment

enjoying playing again but its very frustrating knowing how i used to play against how i play now. still i guess i'l just have to cut mt cloth to suit and keep it simple and tight for a while until i get some confidence back lol.

Comment

enjoying playing again but its very frustrating knowing how i used to play against how i play now. still i guess i'l just have to cut mt cloth to suit and keep it simple and tight for a while until i get some confidence back lol.
                            You never lose that spirit...
                            Dark side of the moon

Comment

My sentiments exactly. I had a casual game a couple of days ago at some random club with my wife (she's never ever played before). Reds were spreaded, black and pink in spot. Thought a big break might be coming, I missed the 1st red by a long mile lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X