change my cue or stick with it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• change my cue or stick with it?

i have a Peradon & Fletcher Ash Tudor cue about 20+ years old fitted with a new Talisman Pro soft tip.
    I've seen lots of posts about Parris, Woolridge, Osbourne, White etc is it time to go with one of these cues or stick with what i have.

My break highest is 77 but that was when i was about 15 (good eye sight?) but now I'm 44 and just started playing again after a 5 year break my highest is about 35.

the question is have i lost it, do i change or stick with what i have or will it all come back to me after a few months practice?

New to this forum but very impressed, glad i found it

change my cue or stick with it?

I have a Peradon & Fletcher Ash Tudor cue about 20+ years old fitted with a new Talisman Pro soft tip.
    I've seen lots of posts about Parris, Woolridge, Osbourne, White etc is it time to go with one of these cues or stick with what I have.

My break highest is 77 but that was when I was about 15 (good eye sight?) but now I'm 44 and just started playing again after a 5 year break my highest is about 35 but even before my break I was only knocking in high 40's
    The question is have I lost it, do I change or stick with what I have or will it all come back to me after a few months practice?

New to this forum but very impressed, glad I found it.

Comment

I think it will all come back after a few months of practice. I am speaking from my own personal experience of starting playing again after a long break.
      However, if you can afford it , which if you are considering the other cues I assume you can, then I would personally invest in a better cue. it will not turn you into a Ronnie or Hendry but it will give you that confidence. And stop you having any excuses on those days(we've all been there) when you don't play so well.

I have a Peradon Ascot which is fine, but I have just invested in a new cue. I even know that the new cue will not feel as good as my old Peradon for a while, but the added psychological advantages of having a better cue will hopefully pay off in the long run.

I know people will argue that the likes of Hendry had mediocre cues to start off with, but we cannot compare ourselves to their ability. Shape a broomstick so it resembles a cue and Ronnie would beat the s**t out of most of us!!!
      Breaks 2010- 47, 40, 56, 53, 47, 45, 46

Highest break 69

Comment

thanks for that , all makes sense, which cue did you buy and what other ones did you consider and turn down and why?

I know its all on personal feel but I'm still interested to know
        Thanks

Comment

I recently started playing again after a 20 year break. When I stoped playing my highest break was 96 and I made regular breaks of 70+. When I started playing again I brought a JP que and a set of championship balls. It still took me three hard years to get back to the level I was at when I was 20, the point I'm making is that even with the right que and balls, it takes time and practice to reach a resonable standard or in your case to get back to your previous level. Of course a good cue helps, but there are no short cuts in this game:snooker:

Comment

I bought a Dunns Cue in the end. Mainly because it looked good. (See link for cue, mine's the one on the extreme righthttp://www.dunns-cues.com/snooker%20...e%20butts.html) This is custom made to my spec and cost a total of £175 including, extension and mini but and case and 3 hard water buffalo tips. There are mixed reviewed on these cues, but I have played with one and liked it a lot. Also because it was relatively cheap(compared to JP and MW cues). I bought it as a stop gap whilst Mike Wooldridge gets his VCM up and running. However, if I like the Dunns cue then I will stick with it.

I went down to John Parris's shop and tried out all of his cues. I personally did not like the look of them (before people cry blue murder, just my personal preference, I know his cues are well made and liked and to be honest they felt really good).

My ultimate cue would be Mike Wooldridge cue as they have really good review and IMO they look just the way I want my cue to look.

Highest break 69

Comment

I think you picked the best looking cue he does. Mike Wooldridge would be my choice too, maybe I'll get one if I dont improve in the next 6months. Bad website though.

Comment

Originally Posted by finabb View Post
                I think you picked the best looking cue he does. Mike Wooldridge would be my choice too, maybe I'll get one if I dont improve in the next 6months. Bad website though.
                Woolridge site that is.

Comment

Thankyou. i can't wait for it to come. I was given a lead time of 5 weeks, so 3 weeks to go.

The website is a bit slow but lots of nice cues with quality pictures to look at.

Will update when I receive my cue.

MW is what i would ultimately like to have but I will not order until his VCM is up and working and even then there is a lead time of 4-6 months. Which is why i bought the Dunns cue now.:snooker:

Highest break 69

Comment

Your dead right about it takes time, I'll give it 6 months and than decide, but a new cue might make me feel better.

Comment

Depends on what shape your old cue (and tip) is in. If it's straight and smooth then use it, but I hope you've put a new tip on it.

On my side, I've been working for over 3 years now to try and get back to the standard I was at when I was 40 years old (I'm just about 65) and let me tell you, IT'S REALLY TOUGH. I took a 10-year layoff up until late 2005 and then I decided a little later to become a certified coach so I could help myself by at least knowing what I was doing (there are no certified coaches in Canada that I'm aware of outside of myself).

AND I'M STILL NOT THERE!!! I used to run tons in tournaments when I played full-time in the UK, but I haven't had a ton in a match yet since coming back to it.

Terry
                      Terry Davidson
                      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Woolridge site that is.
                        Does that mean you think Mike's website is bad?

Personally (and I'm sure many will agree) I find it is the most informative websites about cues on the internet.
                        http://www.handmadecues.com/
                        sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
                          Does that mean you think Mike's website is bad?

Personally (and I'm sure many will agree) I find it is the most informative websites about cues on the internet.
                          http://www.handmadecues.com/
                          I was referring to Dunns Cues website which is what I thought finnab was referring to as well.

Highest break 69

Comment

Originally Posted by snawaz View Post
                            I was referring to Dunns Cues website which is what I thought finnab was referring to as well.
                            Sorry I couldn't get into the site properly through EI went through with google chrome that's why I said it was bad.
                            Have now been on it and yes it is a good site with lots of good information great looking cues.

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                              Depends on what shape your old cue (and tip) is in. If it's straight and smooth then use it, but I hope you've put a new tip on it.

On my side, I've been working for over 3 years now to try and get back to the standard I was at when I was 40 years old (I'm just about 65) and let me tell you, IT'S REALLY TOUGH. I took a 10-year layoff up until late 2005 and then I decided a little later to become a certified coach so I could help myself by at least knowing what I was doing (there are no certified coaches in Canada that I'm aware of outside of myself).

AND I'M STILL NOT THERE!!! I used to run tons in tournaments when I played full-time in the UK, but I haven't had a ton in a match yet since coming back to it.

Terry
                              There is a very slight bend and now a talisman pro soft tip (replaced the 9mm elkmaster). Looks like lots of practice is needed then. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X