Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest newbie

Hi to everyone.

I have been lurking here for the last couple of months gleaning a ton of information and thought it appropriate that I say hi and thanks.

I was a century break snooker player 30 years ago and unfortunately a job move to a place without snooker tables (good old Canada) forced a change to 8 ball. After 10 years of that I hung up my cue.

2 months ago, I picked up my cue again after 20 years in the closet and am busy fixing the holes in my technique that 10 years of 8 ball and 20 years of inactivity have placed in my stroke. Had a 63 break earlier in the week so I think my goal of a century break by spring is reachable.

I must say I certainly am envious of new players who have this forum and youtube to help hone their skills. Nothing like this existed 45 years ago - particularly in my wasteland.

Anyhow, thanks to all the great contributors - this site truly is a wonderful place.

Cliff

Welcome to the forum Cliff

Comment

Wecome out of the closet Cliff ! There are a few members on here from Canada .
      Your surname is not Thorburn is it
      Only joking
      Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Welcome to the forum Cliff.

I found this forum and after a while it made me want to play snooker again, but unlike you, I have not been as successful with making nice breaks.

Never having played for over 36 years and being 20 years older than you, I did not really expect to be able to play as well as I used to do. But did expect to be better than I am. Have been playing now for 3months and only managed two breaks of 32 and it is so frustrating, but will keep on trying and hoping.

Hopefully, will get my new cues from Trevor White very shortly and hope they will help me a little, cos the rack cues are terrible where I am playing and one thing that I have been using is not much better.

Trev has said a couple of times lately that the cues will be with me in the next week or so and I am still waiting anxiously ..... lol.
        :snooker:

Comment

Smooth move Cliff. I think you'll enjoy it here.

How is the spare cue I sold you working out?

If you run into problems attempting to regain your form don't hesitate to post something up here as there's around 6 or so very fine coaches who participate here and you can get a lot of good feedback.

And if you want a serious video analysis using proper sports video analysis software give me a shout and we can set something up.

Terry
          Terry Davidson
          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Hi Terry

My game was always built on confidence in my equipment. Some players can play with a broomstick, but I'm not one of those. I need to know, like and trust my cue. If that happens, the cue is no longer in my head and I can concentrate on the shot.

Having said that, I really like that cue. My new MW cue arrives on Tuesday and I am really looking forward to that. Having to choose between a #1 cue and a #2 cue - life is tough.

With respect to form, I have a desk set at table height with mirrors set up in my spare bedroom. Wife thinks I am a bit kinky as I sneak into that room to test my stroke at odd times of the day. I really do hope she doesn't come in as I am stroking the cue into the mouth of the water bottle.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Cliff

Comment

Working...
            X