Just started playing again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just started playing again

I've just picked up my cue which has been sitting in a cupboard for the last 10yrs courtesy of Dwayne aka DWOT+. I had a quick chat the other day and we arranged to played yesterday. Quite daunting to be playing a very fast clothed full size table after 10yrs and the table I used to play on was much slower. We played 4 frames and it ended 2-2 which I would class as a major result for me. I have to say there were many flukes and Dwayne had some of the worst luck I've ever seen on a snooker table but I'm not complaining. In the 3rd and 4th frames I started to play a little more conservatively and not try and pot everything! I did pot some pretty good mid distance and long balls as well as playing a couple of half decent safeties. Overall I'm looking forward to getting a few reds and blacks next time - all 4 frames the black and pink pretty much were safe most of the frames we played. If anyone is in the Derbyshire area and wants to play a few frames I'm always around during the day (at the moment).

Where abouts in Derbyshire are you? I sent Dwayne a similar request last night but he's away at the mo, I'm free most weekends and always looking for practice partners, getting a bit fed up practising by myself.

I'm not far from Hartington, got my my own table, fridge full of brews and good tunes on the jukebox!

Let me know

Comment

Hi Sully, I'm near Matlock small place called Bonsall. We used to have a full size table but got rid of it 10yrs ago hence I haven't played since. All of my friends prefer playing pool. I just thought I'd give it a try again as I loved playing -in fact I love playing any sport really. You can email me if you like keith.robertson99@yahoo.co.uk and maybe we can arrange a game?

Comment

my email is dwayne40@hotmail.com and will certainly be up for some frames too when I return from here.

If you can get a team together too you should enter our league next season! :-)
        One day I'll make a century, I've knocked in a 51!

Comment

p.s. Keiths not much of a drinker, I could bring over a guy who makes 147's but he'd never leave your place given he loves nothing more than snooker and beer combined, so I'd better not!

Comment

I think its the pub environment which is probably why more people tend to play pool, personally I got a bit fed up with the tactical game it gradually evolved into over the years, nearly everyone in our local league used to wait for 2 shots before they would go for anything at all.

I tried to go for clearances if they were at all feasible but alot of the time you were risking shooting yourself in the foot by doing so, actually tried a comeback this year but decided against it after playing just the once as the rules were scrambling my brain (admittedly it was against the team who now happen to be at the top of the league so probably a tough re-introduction!)

Plus of course snooker is more challenging, though I think it does flow better as a proper match game than pool, which dependent on the rules played, can get overly negative.

Comment

Originally Posted by <CuePower> View Post
              I've just picked up my cue which has been sitting in a cupboard for the last 10yrs courtesy of Dwayne aka DWOT+. I had a quick chat the other day and we arranged to played yesterday. Quite daunting to be playing a very fast clothed full size table after 10yrs and the table I used to play on was much slower. We played 4 frames and it ended 2-2 which I would class as a major result for me. I have to say there were many flukes and Dwayne had some of the worst luck I've ever seen on a snooker table but I'm not complaining. In the 3rd and 4th frames I started to play a little more conservatively and not try and pot everything! I did pot some pretty good mid distance and long balls as well as playing a couple of half decent safeties. Overall I'm looking forward to getting a few reds and blacks next time - all 4 frames the black and pink pretty much were safe most of the frames we played. If anyone is in the Derbyshire area and wants to play a few frames I'm always around during the day (at the moment).
              I can't believe Dwayne had no luck, he's usually incredibly lucky

Comment

Ha, yea I know Bonsall pretty well, used to race at the old motox track up on the moor years ago!

I'll email you both with some contact details later on, like the sound of your mate Dwayne, is he any good at coaching cos I'm still playing like a chump?

Comment

I see you had a 90-odd break Sully, how close were you to getting the ton (well very it sounds!)

I usually go up to the Hartington Wakes when they have the harness racing, though thats nearer Pikehall I think.

I'll have you a game some time too if you like when I have some free time.

Comment

Originally Posted by pottingpinks View Post
                    I can't believe Dwayne had no luck, he's usually incredibly lucky

Now I know you're talking sheet!

Comment

Originally Posted by pottingpinks View Post
                      I see you had a 90-odd break Sully, how close were you to getting the ton (well very it sounds!)

I usually go up to the Hartington Wakes when they have the harness racing, though thats nearer Pikehall I think.

I'll have you a game some time too if you like when I have some free time.
                      My highest break is 98 but that was doing the line up so it doesnt really count I suppose.

I always struggle putting decent breaks together playing opponents, as soon as there's a bit of pressure I just go to pot (pardon the pun), don't know how the pro's do it.

I'm up for a game when your free, If your happy to post your email address I'll mail you my contact details.

Comment

You can get me on bolehillsec@yahoo.co.uk.

Twitched massively myself on a brown last week with the last four balls required to win in a semi final (sorry Dwayne just had to mention it once more lol) but the guy had had a 108 break in the opening frame so suppose understandable that theres pressure when you know one miss is likely to be costly.

Very rarely do the line up myself so will perhaps have to give it a try, nearly always do the colours clearance instead (though not always immediately successfully) but all the practice in the world doesn't always help if cant control the nerves.

Strange that sometimes I can feel edgy yet other times I seem OK, suppose alot depends on each circumstance on the day.

Comment

Are you Dwayne's beer loving 147 making mate by any chance?

Your'e spot on about all the practise in the world being useless if nerves get the better, I'm definately short of match experience, been practising on my own in a bit of a bubble really for too long.

Just emailed you my details so let me know when your free.

Comment

No no definitely not, any more than 2 pints and I cant pot a ball lol, though that can be difficult in a sober state anyhow sometimes!!

In my younger days used to have a couple of pints and seemed to ease the nerves but suppose my alcohol intake used to be higher in those days, whereas nowadays I just seem to get sozzled quickly which is no good for playing decent snooker really.

My top break is 83 in solo practice, but thats just played as a proper frame, not setting the balls up or anything. Pockets were very big on that particular table though, also had a 74 in a proper match on there too.

Suppose my claim to fame is beating Nigel Bond in the U-21 competition the league ran at the time, though he could hardly reach over the table at the time he was that young lol. He thrashed me many times after that of course.

Anyway Dwayne tells me he is off to have you a game today so let us know how it goes, for my sins I am going to watch Derby at Pride Park - a free ticket unsurprisingly has become available - was trying to hold out for a £20 note too as compensation for such misery but will give it a go just this once!

Next weekend am off up to Sheffield to watch the final two days of World Champs qualifying too (will probably have a bet or two running as well!) so might be a couple of weeks at least before I am available to play....
                            Last edited by pottingpinks; 5 March 2011, 12:57 PM.

Comment

£20 wouldn't have been enough compensation for that afternoon....knew it was a bad idea!

Comment

Working...
                              X