X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member with a question!

Hi Everyone

I'd like to introduce myself as I am a new member

I enjoy playing pool and I'm not too bad at it! (I put it down to mis spent youth!)

However, the reason I joined was not really for me but for my boyfriend, who really is very good at it (not that I'd say that to his face!) It's his birthday coming up soon and I'd like to buy him a pool cue but I don't know where to start looking. Any advice on the best cue to go for would be greatfully received

(plus any tips which may allow me to beat him once in a while would be great!?)

Thanks
    Nat

Hello and welcome! Predator is top of the line but a bit expensive. McDermott are cheaper but still very good IMO. In which price range are you looking?

Comment

Hi thanks. I'm not sure on the price range really, maybe £50 - £100. Would I get a good one for that?

Comment

Well, maybe not a very good one. In Sweden, where cues are generally more expensive I think, I very much doubt you would get a good (good meaning a cue for a player who can say clear a 9-ball table and make 15-20 balls break in 14.1) cue for less than £110-130. Since you reluctantly say your boyfriend is "really is very good at it" I think buying a cheap cue might be wasted on him. For the amount I mentioned you could buy a plain, no-fancy McDermott with great playing ability. I uses a such and I'm very happy with it.
        But then again, cues are cheaper in the UK so maybe someone else is more qualifyed to answer.
        And there are of course a number of other cue manufacturers who make good cues, but McDermott, Meucci and Predator are the ones that springs to mind in this late hour. Good luck!

Comment

Should possibly be clarified whether you're talking about American pool (solids and stripes, bigger balls) or UK pool (reds and yellows), as the requirements for a cue are rather different. Pretty sure hege's advice just relates to US pool.

Comment

Originally Posted by Robert602
            Should possibly be clarified whether you're talking about American pool (solids and stripes, bigger balls) or UK pool (reds and yellows), as the requirements for a cue are rather different. Pretty sure hege's advice just relates to US pool.
            Yep, that's right.

Comment

Oh I see. Well UK pool (reds and yellows) I believe. Would I go for different manufacturers in this case?
              Thanks everyone for your help.

Comment

Originally Posted by purdyjones
                Oh I see. Well UK pool (reds and yellows) I believe. Would I go for different manufacturers in this case?
                Thanks everyone for your help.
                Yeah I'm afraid it's a different kettle of fish entirely. Most UK 8 ball players I know use snooker cues, perhaps with slightly smaller tips than is usual for snooker.

At that price range you'd probably be advised to look at Peradon, Crafstman and Mastercue. To be honest though cues are a thing of personal preference, it might be a better idea to take him to a good local cue shop and let him try some out and pick one himself?

Comment

Cue

Try Rileys clubs or our shop at rileyshop.com
                  A great range and the best in the uk

Comment

Working...
                  X