my cheap cue does me just fine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my cheap cue does me just fine

i bought my cue from jjb sports a couple of years ago for just £15.
    I didnt want to spend any more than i had to because i didnt know if i was going to stick at it after about four years away from the table.
    however, i now play at least six hours a week and am loving it, with my cheap cue.
    lots of people are telling me that i need to upgrade to better quality, but i am not going to as i consider it to be a waste of money and would rather spend my hard earned cash on paying for the light above the table and simply working hard on my game.
    there is a problem though, because of the poor standard of the wood, i am pretty sure that the butt would not stand up to being drilled and tapped in order to take a screw in extension. i have tried the plastic telescopic type and simply cannot get on with them, i would like the screw in type but am concerned that it will mean having to get a new cue.
    any thoughts out there guys?

better positioning means you don't need extensions!
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

thanks for the useful advice - not! i am new to this site and to be honest i really thought i would get some helpful tips unstead of unwanted remarks wasting my time.

Comment

Some right tetchy buggers on here lately!!

The blue ringed extenda thing is the only risk free option. Other than that source a cuemaker and show/discuss with him.

Even if it did break you could always buy another cheap cue!

Thinking about it any sort of extention is going to cost more than the cue. I'd be tempted to just use the long tackle.
        Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

As long as its a dense hardwood like ebony, rosewood, or similar the butt will take a joint for an extension. Whilst Andrew is right about the position meaning you don't need one, there is also the opponents bad position to contend with you may need it through no fault of your own.
          If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

Originally Posted by jimtable10 View Post
            thanks for the useful advice - not! i am new to this site and to be honest i really thought i would get some helpful tips unstead of unwanted remarks wasting my time.
            it's the truth and a very good tip indeed. in reality to get the cue drilled and extensions made for it is going to cost you the best part of a £100 all in. how many times do you actually need an extension? i have all the toys i don't think i have used an extension of either sort for around 3 months. that said since your time is so valuable and you are such a humourless git you can wait for somebody to give you the advice you want to hear.

Comment

Originally Posted by deant1982 View Post
              As long as its a dense hardwood like ebony, rosewood, or similar the butt will take a joint for an extension. Whilst Andrew is right about the position meaning you don't need one, there is also the opponents bad position to contend with you may need it through no fault of your own.
              Good points Dean. What height you are can also influence how many times you need to use an extension. If you're very tall then you can probably reach most shots. If it was purely about positional play then we wouldn't see the pros regularly rely on their minis and extensions. I think Higgins has a push-on and he seems to get on pretty well with it.

Comment

okay guys, thanks very much to those who have tried to help but thanks to the witless ADR147 i wont be using this site again, i'd rather find my own way in life than have to even think about accepting advice from him, so farewell folks and good luck with your game.

Comment

i am sorry you don't share my sense of humour, however you really should not try and get a £15 jjb sports cue drilled because there will be a weight right where it needs to be drilled, best tip would be to take a bit of blu tak with you and press it at the top of a push on extension so the cue does not move inside it when you take your shot. good luck with your game.

Comment

clearly this chap has no sense. decide not to use the forum over no liking one post.

cutting off your head to spite your life!!! eeejit.

Comment

there is a problem though, because of the poor standard of the wood, i am pretty sure that the butt would not stand up to being drilled and tapped in order to take a screw in extension. i have tried the plastic telescopic type and simply cannot get on with them, i would like the screw in type but am concerned that it will mean having to get a new cue.
                      any thoughts out there guys?
                      I cut a mini butt socket extension (designed for a riley's or bce smart extender) out of a riley's cue and stuck it into a Paul Hunter 3/4 cue I bought from Argos,I stuck the socket into the butt with Araldite,if you want to stick with the cue you've got just go into any decent sports shop and buy a riley's or bce cue with smart extender compatibility,cut the extension socket out and do the same,simple as pie a small vice would help though,solid as a rock and cheap too.

Comment

okay guys, thanks very much to those who have tried to help but thanks to the witless ADR147 i wont be using this site again, i'd rather find my own way in life than have to even think about accepting advice from him, so farewell folks and good luck with your game.
                        Clearly a very well balanced person...a chip on both shoulders !

Comment

Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
                          Clearly a very well balanced person...a chip on both shoulders !
                          now there is one with my sense of humour!

Comment

jimtable10, i have a peradon cue for sale, will accept £90 ono with mini butt. very nice cue, straight and will possibly stay straight who knows. doesnt get sticky in hot weather, and nicely balanced, straight grained , good firm hit.

Comment

great post that..

Comment

Working...
                              X