Comments on my video - please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by rimmer10 View Post
    I find the best way to determine your natural way to aligne your head over the cue is to line up a shot with the rest since your head will be absolutely level while doing so. ideally you would want to do it on your dining table in front of a mirror or get somebody to stand in front of you and help you. when you are happy with your alignment stop and look where the cue is in relation with your eyes. for example my natural alignment is to the inside of my left eye. all you have to do then is to try and get your head the same one a normal shot
    That's a neat idea. I will try that.
    Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
    My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Originally Posted by thelongbomber View Post
      That's a neat idea. I will try that.
      Interesting, I think I'll give it a go as well
      "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
      - Linus Pauling

Comment

please do so and let me know what you think. the idea came to me a few weeks ago and it really worked well for me. like so many players i have been plaqued with finding my own personal way to aligne my sight since conventional wisdom seems to advocate either even eye sighting or the master eye sighting. both of them which didnt really work for me.

Comment

Originally Posted by rimmer10 View Post
          please do so and let me know what you think. the idea came to me a few weeks ago and it really worked well for me. like so many players i have been plaqued with finding my own personal way to aligne my sight since conventional wisdom seems to advocate either even eye sighting or the master eye sighting. both of them which didnt really work for me.
          Well, I tried it, and it worked

Or rather, I was struggling with potting simple balls, again, and decided to stop trying to force center chin cueing and try to fall into a more natural position. After a while things started to "click" so on the next few shots I consciously felt/looked at where my cue was and to my surprise found it to the left of my chin, roughly 1/2 way between eye and nose.

So, I got the rest out, set up a long straight pot to the pocket leather and (because I was practicing solo) painstakingly lined the rest up directly on the line of the shot - to use it as a guide. Without moving the rest at all, I lined up the shot and experimented with various head positions until I thought I was seeing a straight pot. I verified my cue was directly above the rest and lined up dead straight. I played a few shots to confirm I was striking center white and center red and potting the ball bang on the pocket leather. Then I set another up and pulled the cue right back to my face and found...

it was 1/2 way between my nose and left eye.

So.. long story short. The eye tests all tell me I am right eye dominant, but if I want to see the reality of the situation I need the cue between my nose and left eye. After discovering this I noticed a few players - both left and right handed - with similar setups, so I wonder if it's not so uncommon (in particular John Higgins seems very similar).

I know that for archery, for beginners, they tend to assume right-handed == right eye dominant == pull the arrow back to the right eye.. but I've always struggled the few times I've given it a go. I think next time I give it a go I'm going to draw back to my left, or 1/2 way between. I suspect I will find it works a whole lot better.

So, thanks for this suggestion, if nothing else it's given me confidence in my setup and sighting. Now I can blame my cue action for everything
          "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
          - Linus Pauling

Comment

really glad to hear it worked for you as well mate!

Comment

Working...
            X