Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fundamental question (beginner)

Hello,

I am new in sport and forum (my first post) so please don't judge me basing on my question that I will ask below. Second thing is that snooker isn't so popular in my country and that is why I am asking here.

This is only hypothetical question and asked only because I do not like having roof above my head. I have just started learning snooker and thinking: isn't this to late for me to start when I am 22 years old?

Do you know any pros who started plying so late? I know that many starts as young teenagers, but I really like to have some additional boost for training. This isn't like I need to be a pro, but I would like to think that have some time to learn. I am aware that every task should be analyzed separately, but only want to know what you experienced players think about what I just asked.

Many can think: "ohh another noob question - he should know that there are many who plays when they are 60 years old, or later...", but this is really something I would like to talk about.

There could be similar question, but I couldn't find any what is exactly asked like this above. This is also something I would like to analyze on my personal example.

I am happy that I can be here with you and hope that somebody will take it serious.
    Wish that this thread will be continued.

Cheers.

Although most pros started at an early age, Terry Griffiths didn't turn pro until he was over 30.

If it is your ambition to turn professional, then you are probably a bit too late but having said that with a lot of dedication and motivation and good natural coordination it's still not too late to try and turn pro. Remember, it will take a lot of money (you would have to move to Britain most likely, a lot of time and you would have to practice and play in matches 8-10 hours per day EVERY day.

It ain't easy although some pros make it look that way. Judd Trump started when he was 8 years old on a small table in his sitting room, turned pro at 17 I believe and then it took him another 5 years to break into the top 16 in the world. So it took someone as skilled as Judd 9 YEARS to turn pro and since you are not 8 years old it will take you longer for sure.

But you don't have to play as good as a pro to enjoy snooker.

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Thank you. This is the type of answer I really enjoy - shows two sides of the coin .

It is not like I want/need to be a pro. This is only good to know that there was somebody who made it big from similar position. But when I will made it to the point when I really want to be a pro - then I think that there isn't any barrier that can stop me.

Is there anybody who can give some more examples or his/her own opinion on this subject? I will really appreciate any given help that could make my perspective wider.

Comment

first - welcome to TSF.
        second - where are you, no country/location is being shown?
        third - 22 is not to old to start playing snooker and to enjoy it greatly. As Terry has said if you want to turn pro - it may be a big haul but possible; but if not then there are no limits to the extent to play the game, maybe local amatuer league/competitions (see point 2 )
        four -I would certainly start seeing a good coach, to get good technique from day one and a a good grounding for future improvement all-round, (see point 2 again )
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

a.d. first: Thank you for having me
          a.d. second: Poland
          a.d. third: We will see...
          a.d. fourth: Tuesday I start my 1 on 1 sessions with coach. Watching "Snooker - The Champion Way" by Steve Davis and bought Ken Williams "Snooker" + few more positions, that I would like to read after I finish this one I just wrote about

Comment

can I ask who (coach) you are seeing?
            also, search for Nik Barrow on Youtube, there are plenty of his tips on there which will be good for review.

Comment

Thank you for the feedback. I will put this videos on the board as soon as possible

About coach - it is some local snooker player, sorry that I do not know his surname. Know that he is playing tournaments very often

Comment

Are there any other examples of pros who started late?

Comment

Don't worry about becoming a pro!
                  REALITY CHECK: You will not make it.
                  Unless....you are the next greatest talent after Ronnie O'Sullivan....now you have a chance.

Having said all that, you still have plenty of time to become a great player!
                  There is nothing stopping you improving rapidly, playing competitively, making centuries, handing out and taking some great beatings! etc.
                  And most importantly, HAVING FUN and enjoying snooker.
                  This is what you should focus on.

Cheers.

Comment

I am back after this coaching that I took today - it was better than great! I go tomorrow also and would like to learn even more So fun fun fun!

I wrote about pro only because |pro = highest level|. I am doing something else that gives food on my table. Like I said at the beginning - it's not that I want to be pro for additional gratification. I want only to know that there isn't any roof above my head. I was aware that there can be misunderstanding, but now I start thinking that many take it, like I am talking about something else than skill.

I started snooker because this is fun. I don't hide that possibility to beat others in competition isn't another boost for me. Main question was about the pros who started late. I really appreciate your opinions - thank you for that, but please give me something that I can use as my "power giver thought".

Thanks.

Comment

Hi dean do you play for a league team or would you be interested in joining a new league team I am setting up in reading

Comment

Hi Steve, I did see your thread about getting asnooker league team together.
                        I am not looking to travel too far for my home team, and Reading would be a tad far, so I am making in-roads in to a couple of teams that are local to me
                        best of luck
                        cheers

Comment

Do you know anyone who would join my team

Comment

sorry but none near Reading
                            You still short a player or two?
                            I can ask around.

Comment

Yeah if you do find anyone email me at steveking21@btinternet.com or get them too

Comment

Working...
                              X