Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im 13 and been playing snooker for 4 months

hi all
    ive been playing snooker for 4 months now and been playing in tournaments and coming close in matchs to adults and improving quite alot, has any one got tips for me for break building and overall snooker tips.
    cheers :snooker:

Welcome to TSF mate, you will find loads of helpful people here and if you look and post in the coaching section I'm sure Terry Davidson or another good coach can give you some pointers depending on exactly what you are looking for. Cheers, Rob
    77 in a match, 97 in a line up

Comment

I'd recommend that you try to mplay in as many tournaments as you can. It really helps your game to play different people (rather than having the same mate you play with every time), and when you play the better players you'll find that it makes you own game better.

Comment

Welcome to the forum snookerfan123, great to have you with us.

Best of luck with your game, and as far as advice is concerned, well I'm not much use to you, I'm more of an armchair fan, but there are plenty of people here who will be glad to share their invaluable experience with you, so fill-yer-boots and maybe one day win us a world title!

-
        The fast and the furious,
        The slow and labourious,
        All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

Originally Posted by Snookerfan123 View Post
          hi all
          ive been playing snooker for 4 months now and been playing in tournaments and coming close in matchs to adults and improving quite alot, has any one got tips for me for break building and overall snooker tips.
          Welcome to the TSF m8, I would also recommend you to enter as many Tournaments as you can and try and Play Better Players than yourself if you would like to Improve.

Have a Look on the Fergal O'Brien Website which I have sent you below......

http://fergalobrien.ie/practice.html

Gaz.

Comment

Originally Posted by Snookerfan123 View Post
            hi all
            Hello mate.

Here is a nice routine for you to improve your break building.

Place the black on its spot. Place one red underneath the black, and two above it in a straight line.
            Now start on the red near the top cushion and pot three reds and blacks. The aim is to pot the reds in order starting with the one nearest the cushion and heading toward the baulk end. (Very important.)
            Once you can clear three regularly, try with four, then five etc. Always replace the balls and start again every time you miss.

This will improve your positional play dramatically.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally Posted by checkSide View Post
              Hello mate.

Here is a nice routine for you to improve your break building.

Place the black on its spot. Place one red underneath the black, and two above it in a straight line.
              Now start on the red near the top cushion and pot three reds and blacks. The aim is to pot the reds in order starting with the one nearest the cushion and heading toward the baulk end. (Very important.)
              Once you can clear three regularly, try with four, then five etc. Always replace the balls and start again every time you miss.

This will improve your positional play dramatically.

Cheers.
              And also drive you mad quickly. Good drill though mate, use it myself.

Comment

Haven't see you play or in practice, but I can guess that you are more a potter, and less a positional player? That's the usual progress that a player takes. Anyways, break building has to do with cue ball control. Cue ball control depends on a solid cue action. A solid cue action depends on you understand swing, grip, momentum, force, follow through, "tip time" and more. All that cue action is for not if you don't understand your own body position, stance, shoulder position, foot position, etc.

Practice in any form teaches you fundamentals but it also teaches you discipline, mind control, focus, pressure. Practice isn't just for potting a bunch of balls. There is much to learn so spend time on the practice table every chance you get. Play matches when they come, but practice is a must.

One of the understood secrets of cue ball control is the use of pauses, a slow and measured back swing, and then a precise and measured strike through the cue ball. Eventually, it becomes subconcious and you just feel. As mentioned, Terry Davidson is an excellent resource and will have lots to share. If you can show us yourself on video, that would help and then if you can post something more specific like "how come I keep missing black back cuts", you might get a more detailed response.

Then there is the mind. Some play better under pressure because they learn to zone out, focus, and ignore their own thinking and just "do". Some crack under pressure because they don't know how to release it. Pressure builds up over the course of a frame/maximum/match/etc. There are ways and methods to "fool yourself" into negating pressure and overcoming it and mastering it within your own mind. I write about that here and also on my blog at snookerdelight.com.

For breakbuilding, checkside makes a good point as you need to learn fundamental stun/screw around the black. You really do need to "own" that area of the table until it becomes unconcious and totally and completely autopilot. If you spend a lot of energy trying to pot a red near the black spot and get good position, then it's not autopilot yet. I also do a similar routine where I drop 3 reds randomly between pink and black, cue ball in hand, run 3 red, 3 blacks and then all the colors for a 51. Then do it again with the reds in same position as before. And then again a third time. All without missing once. I'm up to 2.5 so far. Only when you run 51 three times without a miss, can you add another red. It all has to be done with centre ball too and you should keep note of how many times you are playing a recovery shot. If you miss, you start over from the very beginning and reset 3 reds.

Also have a look at my blog where I wrote a bunch recently on mental approach and some other useful bits: www.snookerdelight.com.

Remember, practice is where you develop new tools which you then take to the match table to improve your success. The tools are like wrenches and hammers and screwdrivers. You can't fix a car with a hammer just like you can't play snooker with only top spin. Work on developing new tools that you put into your toolbox. Practice should also be where you experiment, try, learn, and get a deeper understanding. Try Shaun Murphy's cue action, try Hendry's eye movement to the pocket, try Allen's funky grip, try them all and see if you understand it. Each experiment has something to teach you.

Snooker isn't a game you learn once and then just play. In fact no job or career or anything else in life is like that. It's a game that requires a life long commitment to learning, growing, experimenting, refining, and trying to become better at. Some lucky few learn quickly and become champions, and others well.. you might just meet them here.
                Last edited by thelongbomber; 26 April 2012, 11:50 PM.
                Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
                My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

I started playing when I was your age. If you get a grip on the game and really enjoy it then the sky's the limit as far as you can improve.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Make sure you learn the basic technique spot on from the start. Stance, grip, types of bridge and then get a decent sense of striking and timing the white. Then it's just practice as much as you can.

I improved by latching on to the best player at the club I played at and getting mashed up by him.

Practice trumps all though.

Comment

The thing i advise you to do which i know i don't really do myself anymore is to just keep playing regularly

Matt

Comment

Where in England do you live

Comment

Originally Posted by steveking21 View Post
                        Where in England do you live
                        hi steve i live in cumbria, penrith

Comment

Working...
                        X