Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New and looking for Advice/Help

Good morning,

My name is Richard Thomas and I am currently serving in the Royal Navy and have been for approximately 12 years now. In 1995 when sadly my father passed away with Multiple Sclerosis aged just 31, I inherited his snooker cue. Something I wouldn’t come to appreciate until about 7 years later. During my teens my Grandfather took me to the snooker halls in our local area and not surprisingly I took to the game immediately. I don’t mean I was any good I just really enjoyed the wonderful game that is snooker. This love affair has gone on for about 12 years now with some months seeing more games than others. I don’t want to paint a false picture here I am definitely not a player who will wow the audiences lol but I really do find the game therapeutic.

Recently I was sent for an MRI for various symptoms I was experiencing and unfortunately this resulted in me finding out that I have a Chiari Malformation of the brain and without going into too much detail it means that unfortunately I have to really reduce what was an active lifestyle and look to seek enjoyment in activities that are a little less arduous. This has resulted in me seeking the snooker hall more and more often, sometimes just to unwind and get away from everything.

Alas my request for advice is two fold.

Firstly I would like to ask if anyone knows of any Snooker Teams or possibly a coach within the Portsmouth Area for me to start taking this hobby even further and hopefully improve my game.

Secondly, I am very keen to find the history of my fathers snooker cue. Unfortunately none of the family knows where it was purchased. I believe it to be hand made as the splicing is irregular and rounded. It has a symbol on it of a Right facing Cannon and underneath it is a banner which reads Ye OLDE ASH Cue. It is a one piece and measures in at about 57 inches. With a very small tip possibly 7mm and weighs 16oz. (I have Pictures if anyone would like to have a go at identifying this Cue)

Thirdly, I have been using Talcon Powder in my Snooker case for some time now to have the lovely smooth feel when I play. This has got into the grain of the wood and has left white marks. Also I recently noticed that the splicing is starting to split at the bottom. Can this be repaired and does anyone know roughly how much I will be looking at? And should I stop using Talcon Powder?

Ok sorry for the wall of text.

Hopefully someone will read this and make it to the end

long shot but, In case anyone on here played with my father back in the 80's His name was Mark Thomas and we lived both within the Rotherham Area of South Yorkshire and then in the Sin fin area of Derby before returning home to Maltby Shortly before he passed away.

Welcome to The Forum Richard . A very good introduction and you will receive plenty of advice on here . I hope in the coming years' you are able to do your Father's cue justice .

With regards to your cue , i think a little maintenance is required . Sounds like a rub down and re oil is needed . A decent cuemaker should be able to do this and repair the splices . Hopefully someone can point you in the right direction of where to take your cue .

I would not use Talcon powder personally . Rub down with a cloth and the occasional wipe down with a slightly damp cloth .

7MM tip !!! That must be hard to play snooker with ?
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Possibly 8mm

Yes I agree it needs some maintenance. I am in two minds weather to purchase my own hand made cue and keep my fathers tucked away but I love using this cue and I know he bought it for it to be used.

Decisions, decisions lol.

A local cue maintainer would be highly appreciated.

Also can’t be certain on this tip size as I very recently had it tipped and the man who did it left it with a very slight overhang around the ferrule but I know it is very small. The smallest I have ever seen. Ill try and measure the circumference this evening and work out the diameter so I can be more precise. (It Could be 8mm)

Thanks for the swift response Neil. I was concerned this post would possibly go unread with it being in the newbie’s area.

Comment

http://www.portsmouthsnooker.co.uk/

Try this Richard .

There may be a Club near you and they may well know a Cue Doctor .
        Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Hi Richard

Keith Auld has a wonderful workshop in Locks Heath. You can contact him via www.keithauld.com/

I know Keith and I’m sure he’ll sort you out.

Regarding coaching, I’m a World Snooker coach based at Chandler’s Ford Snooker Club just off the M3 near Southampton.

You’ll find my contact details on my website (link below).

Tim Dunkley
          http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

Comment

Hi Richard

I had an 11 year lay off from snooker after playing in the Portsmouth and Midhurst Leagues for 18 years. On my return I thought it a good idea to find a coach as I couldn't keep my arm straight and used Tim Dunkley who I found on the internet. I cannot recommend Tim highly enough as he has helped me considerably. He is knowledgeable, easy to understand, supplies a coaching report after each session so you can see what you need to follow, or in my case, what I have managed to forget since the last session!!.

My game has improved (at my level) and I have increased my highest break since the coaching started so you definately want to give him a visit (by the way he is very reasonable!!). I am about to book a third session so if you want an introduction I would be happy to give you a lift when I next go over.

As for your Dad's cue, send me a picture to marc.lockley@ntlworld.com and I'll try and source it for you, if I can't I know an expert who i'm sure will.

As for clubs, let me know where in Portsmouth you live and I'll ask some of the guys I know as to the nearest couple of clubs.

Goo Luck

Marc

Comment

Working...
            X