Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi! New member (and maybe the only one so far) from Italy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi! New member (and maybe the only one so far) from Italy...

Hello!
    First of all, plese excuse the quality of my English, that is non my native language...

Unfortunately, in Italy, snooker is allmost unkown so I had to look elsewere for some advices... and so I ended up here!
    My passion for snooker has start thanks to Eurosport, during a match between O'Sullivan and Hendry.
    As a kid, I played pool in a Club that had a full-size (I think it was full-size... it was HUGE for me) snooker table which was constantly empty, while the others normal and italian pool tables were allways crowded by old seniors. So, often I had to play pool on that snooker table as it was the only one available. But they didn't have snooker balls and I'm not sure they even know about snooker game...
    The fact is that for some years I played pool on a snooker table. The result was that I earn a very good precision, and then, when I was playing on a normal table, most of the times I was clearing the table in one visit.
    About one year ago I discover the true snooker game on Eurosport, as I sad above. Since then, it become a real passion to me.
    Unfortunately again, now I'm living in a nice country town, and there is no snooker table... the nearest one is about 200km away...
    We have a Club, with an Italian-pool table: it is 2,70m x 1,35m, but the real problems are its pokets which are very small (65mm) and the corners of the holes are straight, not rounded, so you have to aim perfectly on the center of the poket, with a margin of error of about 5-6mm from either side of the ball, in order to pot it. Another problem is that its cushions are 55mm high so that if the white ball is attached to the cushion, it does not exceed the cushion for nothing in height. Potting a ball on this table is a very difficult task, and very frustraiting for a beginer. Building a break... well, I'm still trying... So far, my highest break was a shameful 15 (red-black-red-blue-red) and that night I celebrated...
    Finally, I'm glad I found this forum, I already read and learn a lot of things. During the yeras I always played "by feeling" without taking lessons form anyone. Thanks to you (and YouTube) now I have start to learn the correct basics: the stance, aiming line, cue and cue-ball control and so on...
    Thanks again!

Welcome to TSF
    I guess the only solution is to buy your own table

Comment

Not buying the table is the problem... but the house with enough room for the table...
      I buyed a new house recently, but it has no place large enough to put a 12ft snooker table in... but I'll buy a table to put in the garage. The maximum size allowed by its dimensions is a 7ft table, which will be good al least for my 6 yo kid...

Comment

welcome cristian get a snooker/dining table you love your food dont you being italian lol

Comment

Christian, Snooker is bigger than you think in Italy!

Two lovely young ladies run a Italian language forum which has all the latest news - http://snooker.forumfree.it/

They are also members on here, I am sure they will say hello if they see this thread.

Comment

Wow! There's a small world indeed!
            I know that forum, as I know the "two lovely young ladies" Claudia and Roberta... One of them lives in Manchester, isn't she?
            But we are still very few in Italy... many of us (as myself) never played on a full-size table...
            Just an example... in my town we are about 3000 persons and I personally know most of them, but no one even heard about snooker, as long as they look only football on TV...

The young ladies you mentioned, have recently launched on-line the first snooker-dedicated website in Italy: http://www.snookeritalia.com/. According to statistics, there are 15 (fifteen) full-size tables in the HOLE Italy...

But things are moving... I recently have converted two of my friends from american pool to snooker! After I have showed and explained them the game, they have become my game-partners... it's a begining...

Comment

I was thinking to buy this type:
              http://annunci.ebay.it/annunci/per-l...425?&err=0&t=2

(that is a 6ft, but I'll order a 7ft).

As for the food, I'm not a typical Italian... I always prefer a huge bloddy steak instead of spaghetti...

Comment

Working...
              X